Saving cals for tomorrow?

honu18
honu18 Posts: 294 Member
edited September 30 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone!

So tomorrow is my best friend's birthday. Not sure how much exercise I'm going to get in- but I do know we're going out to eat and going to have cake, which alone could be enough to go over my 1,260 limit for the day. With the amount of exercise I've done and plan to do today and the food I plan to eat for dinner, I could end up netting a low amount (500-600 cals) today. I've begun to eat most of those back (to net about 1,000..trying to slowly get out of starvation mode). But, would it be ok to skip doing that today in order to save up for what will likely be a lot of food tomorrow? Is this healthy/ok to do?

Replies

• kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    It's fine. I do it all the time and so do a lot of people. Some people actually do it as a routine on purpose- google "calorie cycling."
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    It's fine. I do it all the time and so do a lot of people. Some people actually do it as a routine on purpose- google "calorie cycling."

Or calorie shifting. Or zig-zag calories.
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    id say do your calories by the day. do 1200 today. if u go over tomorrow, than u go over. and the following day go back to 1200.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    You shouldn't try to save calories for tomorrow. They aren't like rollover minutes on a phone plan. Your body will only know you didn't give it enough fuel today, it won't think about tomorrow.
    The best thing to do is be sensible today and tomorrow. Have a little slice of cake and eat what you need to eat to fuel your body tomorrow. Just because there is a party doesn't mean you have to blow it, just be smart.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Sometimes, I will do this on the days that I have a large calorie burn, like when I mow the lawn (my only 1000 calorie workout!) Often, I am not hungry that day, but am more hungry the day after. I will eat back some of the calories on the day of the burn and save some for when I'm hungrier.

Listen to your body --- and enjoy that cake!
  • JoBFit
    JoBFit Posts: 81
    That's fine. Just make sure your weekly totals are ok.
    Enjoy the celebration!
  • You shouldn't try to save calories for tomorrow. They aren't like rollover minutes on a phone plan

Sorry, this made me giggle :P

But i agree, just log what you eat and then go back to 1200 :) one day won't hurt

Enjoy :) x
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Normally, I'd say it was fine. I track my weekly average and that's more important to me than day to day numbers. Like today, I'm trying to come in a bit lower to make up for yesterday when I was WAY too high.

BUT I'm not sure when you are already eating so low. I don't feel comfortable encouraging someone to net 600 calories. I vote eat right today. Eat as well as possible tomorrow (AND NOT GUILT), and keep going to Monday.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    I think reconciling over a 24 hour period is probably just fine. I have done it when I just can't get to 3000+ calories on a huge burn day, so I'll save some for the next day when I don't work out (I hate when I only get 1530 calories on off days!).

For some people, they can even reconcile over a week's time, and that did work for me in the past, however, now that I am only 2 lbs. from goal I find I need to reconcile within 24 hours, and ideally on the same day.

blessings.
This discussion has been closed.