Maintaining muscle during weight loss

Options
Hello all,

So I hear a lot how important it is to incorporate weight training into your habits while losing weight, so as to avoid losing muscle mass at the same time. I do hope to start a proper weight training program but for right now and the next while I won't have access to any equipment (even a set of free weights). Im wondering if I can accomplish the same thing doing body weight exercises? And if so, which ones should I focus on? Would a program like T25 accomplish it?

Replies

• maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I am seeing really good results with You Are Your Own Gym. There's an app and a book - the app isn't free but it isn't expensive (no subscription etc.) and I think it's worth paying for.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    Hello all,

So I hear a lot how important it is to incorporate weight training into your habits while losing weight, so as to avoid losing muscle mass at the same time. I do hope to start a proper weight training program but for right now and the next while I won't have access to any equipment (even a set of free weights). Im wondering if I can accomplish the same thing doing body weight exercises? And if so, which ones should I focus on? Would a program like T25 accomplish it?

T25 wouldn't be ideal. It's mostly just conditioning work and it would be hard to incorporate progressive overload. If you did a beachbody program, the P90X series, H&C, or CLX would be better to help support muscle retention. Alternatively, you can do body weight programs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1?new=1