My MFP story

ACJones82
ACJones82 Posts: 53 Member
edited August 2017 in Success Stories
A bit of background: I hail from Cape Town South Africa. I am 35 years old, 160cm short, married with two cats and, in the last week, one dog/ future running buddy. My weight loss journey started at 90 kg. T2D and Blood pressure/ cholesterol issues run in the family. Furthermore, I daily watch work colleagues struggle with T2D and their love of food. I really wanted to get myself under control while the choice was still mine to make.

For about two and a half months before my MFP story started, I was running 15km a week but this didn’t seem to have any effect on my weight. A year ago today I was in an “eat all you can find” mood and discussing my weight issues with my cousin. She suggested I give MFP a try.

It was a Friday. I got home from work, downloaded the app, filled in all my info and then put everything I could remember eating that day into my first food diary entry. In those few minutes I began to understand food. I committed to trying MFP for 10 days. In those 10 days my relationship with food changed and I lost 2 kg.

Some wisdom I picked up along the way:

• “Frankly, your mind is going to have to tell your body it can’t have all it wants” – Max Pemberton;
• The word ‘Self-control’ stuck to my computer screen at the office;
• Persistence over perfection; and finally
• The battle is won or lost in the mind.

I firmly believe that diets do not work. My choice is to eat more of what God created and less of what man creates: all things are permissible but not all things are beneficial (1 Corinthians 10v23).

I’ve learnt to manage my weaknesses. I know that I can’t keep big bags of chips in the house because once it’s open it’s game over; so I buy a small bag once in a while. If there are snacks at the office, I ask myself: The last time I had that, did I really enjoy eating it? I no longer want to waste my calories on luxuries just because it’s there. I also don’t deprive myself if I know it’s something I really enjoy, so I have enough to satisfy the taste buds. It’s also okay to fall off the wagon, as long as you pick a spot to get back on it again.

It’s been a whole year, I’ve lost just under 22 kg, 13 cm off my chest, 22 cm off my waist, 15 cm off my hips, from 35.9 to 26.6 BMI. I still have 8 kg to go and 7 cm around my waist but, in my adult life, I don’t remember fitting into size 10 or medium clothes! As the weight has come off, running has become easier and faster.

A recipe for success:

Faith + Food + Fitness

You need to get your head right first, and then it’s 80% what you eat and 20% exercise.
q0kfitrrvoea.png

Replies

• ACJones82
    No idea how to add a pic :/
  • ACJones82
    ACJones82 wrote: »
    No idea how to add a pic :/

I found a way
  • MakingItHappen2017
    MakingItHappen2017 Posts: 37 Member
    Congratulations! You success is inspirational I need to get my butt moving and stop pigging out! And looking at your pic has definitely motivated me.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    That's awesome! You look great!
  • CarrieA180
    CarrieA180 Posts: 903 Member
    Awesome job! :)
  • aliciaaw
    aliciaaw Posts: 180 Member
    Great story to follow, you look great!
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Great job
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    WOW! You've done an incredible job of improving your health! I love the statement about eating more of what God created and less of what man creates. You are truly and inspiration! May the rest of your journey be as successful as the first part.
  • staylo1313
    staylo1313 Posts: 47 Member
    Awesome job!!
  • Tulip9
    Tulip9 Posts: 143 Member
    Thanks for the inspiration. You look great, and seem very happy. Congrats!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    I totally agree about getting your head right first- so critical to be mentally prepared to lose weight, or else it usually ends up failing/relapsing. Congratulations on your success!
  • Mrsabror
    Mrsabror Posts: 41 Member
    Amazing job! I'm in the same boat, couldn't stand feeling terrible all the time and self-conscious. Definitely not how God intended us to live. I've got this verse stuck in my head,

1 Corinthians 9
    26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
    27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!