Hip replacement surgery and recovery

Options
I am going to journal my prehab and rehab with the hope that this will help someone else prepare for a major surgery.

I had 6 weeks to wait for the surgery and since I was already exercising I decided to prehab the muscles surrounding the hip with the hopes of making recovery faster.

I had the surgery on July 14th, I took my first steps with the new hip that night. Not many but I stood up and walked.

The next day they had me up twice. The PT was impressed with how much I was able to do already.

The third day, I was being discharged from the hospital and I had one more therapy session. I walked much further than the day before and walked 2 flights of steps with a cane.

The PT agreed that because I was in very good shape and health going into the surgery that my recovery will be easier.

Today, my first full day home, I have completed 2 walks and 20 minutes of rehab.

The other thing that I am doing is increasing my protein intake to aid in muscle healing. If you find this interesting, I will be posting my progress daily

Replies

• Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am just waiting for my operation date, it's going to be in around 6 weeks time. I've always been very fit, but the last 3 months have been very painful and caused me to stop exercising my legs. I still lift weights from a sitting position and could use some advice on how to keep my fitness levels up for the next 6 weeks.