When none of your clothes fit...

Options

Replies

• michellespark
    michellespark Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes Dresses,,,Since i gained so much and lost and gained,,dresses are the way to go,,I live in them in the summer,,they look good,,you don't have to match anything,,, ,You can find some really versatile ones. dress up or down, feel great to wear in the summer cause they are cool when it is scorching and in the winter you can wear a cardigan, sweater or anything else like that. That is my go to, and if you buy stuff that fits you now that is cotton you can wash it in hot water and shrink it after you lose more,,I would invest in a few key pieces, that can be tailored.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Dresses and leggings, lady! Good luck :)
  • md1314
    md1314 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    All super helpful! Thanks everyone!
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    Irritatingly, I'm at a point where one size is obviously too big, but the next size down is still a little small.
    I don't want to or need to lose any more weight, so I haven't quite figured out what to do yet!
    Yeah, I have had that before. You need to try other stores. This is one of those times when differing sizing is a complete boon. And of course, this is part of the reason it differs, but that's another thread.

Try putting your measurements into this site to get an idea of where you should be going. A absolute star has collected the raw numbers in inches/cm from the official sizing guide published by a range of shops, and set up a database that spits out the closest matches to your own measurements.

http://sizes.darkgreener.com/

I do a really good line in breaking DarkGreener... I don't have enough of a waist for them, but somehow that doesn't throw my sizes off as much as it should.

Curiously, I've been between sizes for years. At my biggest, I was basically a UK 11 (which doesn't exist), and now I'm what I'd class as a 9, like I was about 12-14 years ago.

The ongoing quest for well-fitting work trousers continues...

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If you are down to the last ten or so lbs, you can buy things now and they'll likely still fit. Pants are the only thing that will really need to be replaced.

But, if you want to wait until you're at your goal to do a big shopping spree, buy yourself some basics now. Then, spend more on accessories and shoes since those will always fit! It'll help make a slack, t shirt and cardigan combo look dressier and you won't feel like you're wearing the same things over and over. You can get things like - necklaces, bracelets, big earrings, head bands, scarves, rings, hair pins etc.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Consignment shops. I just got a stylish pair of jeans for $5.99. I feel so much better wearing clothes that fit! My baggy clothes just made me look frumpy.
  • LindaGilpin59
    LindaGilpin59 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I buy tops at thrift stores and my daughter has found enough jeans at Goodwill outlet although the pair I am currently wearing will soon be too big.

Several have said they wear dresses. Where do you find dresses??? I haven't found anything that will work at either retail or thrift shops. I see nice dresses online but don't know what size to order. According to the sizing charts I should be ordering size 2x and am currently wearing large tops and 16 or 18 jeans. Anyone have success ordering online?
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Dresses, trousers with a good amount of stretch and, um dresses.
    All my smart work trousers are now too big and look silly. I really should get at least some of them taken in...

Irritatingly, I'm at a point where one size is obviously too big, but the next size down is still a little small.
    I don't want to or need to lose any more weight, so I haven't quite figured out what to do yet!

Switch brands. I have 3 pair of exactly the same size jeans that fit very differently because there is no standardization in ladies sizes. Also, try different cuts.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    One-size-fits-all dresses. I have a couple of dresses in my wardrobe that will genuinely fit anything from a 12 to a 28 :)

Also, charity shops. And stalk eBay for bargains.
  • teepuppylove
    teepuppylove Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just went shopping for the first time since I started this journey (nearly 40 lbs down) and I was shocked I was down 4 pant sizes. I only bought really necessary items like work pants, etc that looked like they would work through the next couple of months.

Before the shopping, I have been holding my wardrobe together with doing some homemade tailoring, safety pins, belts, and like many women on here have said- the ever forgiving dress! Best of luck!
  • alexistexas33
    alexistexas33 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Cardigans/tanks/hoodies are more forgiving the more sizes you lose. Pants are the worst.
    I would buy 2-3 pants at a time, but from like a second hand store like Plato's closet and then sell it back when you shrunk out of them.
    Thrift stores are my absolute favorite thing in the world.
  • lisaepell
    lisaepell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    ThredUp!!! You can request a bag, clean out your closet, they put money in your account and you can buy brand name stuff at serious discounted prices. Some is worn, some is new with tags, but the item description tells you about the flaws (minor pilling, worn, etc.).
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have had that before. You need to try other stores. This is one of those times when differing sizing is a complete boon. And of course, this is part of the reason it differs, but that's another thread.

Try putting your measurements into this site to get an idea of where you should be going. A absolute star has collected the raw numbers in inches/cm from the official sizing guide published by a range of shops, and set up a database that spits out the closest matches to your own measurements.

http://sizes.darkgreener.com/

I do a really good line in breaking DarkGreener... I don't have enough of a waist for them, but somehow that doesn't throw my sizes off as much as it should.

Curiously, I've been between sizes for years. At my biggest, I was basically a UK 11 (which doesn't exist), and now I'm what I'd class as a 9, like I was about 12-14 years ago.

The ongoing quest for well-fitting work trousers continues...
    Well, dammit. You're just going to have to do it the hard way with lots of traipsing round high street changing rooms. Have fun with that... Eurgh.

Have you already tried Zara? Their sizing is slightly tighter than other stores, or at least is for me. Depends on bodyshape, so much, though. For example, people tell me that Next sizing runs large. I can only respond with hollow laughter, because I can hardly ever get into Next trousers. Whatever size I am currently in BHS/M&S, I am a half-size larger than that in Next. If it fits my legs well, it doesn't do up at the waist. If it fits my waist, it's either so loose it slips down, or the trousers swamp my legs and derrière.
  • pageohana6
    pageohana6 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Love goodwill for awesome finds. Cheap too especially if u go in 50% off days as well as finding tags that are the special tag for the day. Also liking Old Navy, Marshalls, sometimes Ross.

It's better to find clothes that fit you right now as it's more flattering to your body verses wearing your old clothes that were once too big. Sometimes baggy looks sloppy even though we are feeling comfortable still hiding what we still need to lose.

Besides I find shopping for smaller clothes boosts my confidence as well as determination to keep going.
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I second the Walmart Clearance racks... It's really hard to beat pants for $5.00 or less - you can actually afford to buy pants that fit - at least a few pair. Shirts are a bit more forgiving.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I went through SEVERAL wardrobes on the way to losing 150 lb and always remained clothed, thanks to Goodwill. We have several good ones in nearby areas. The stock turns over fast and is never guaranteed what why will have, so I go frequently. They made a lot of money from me, not only from what I bought, but from what I bought then a few months later donated back to them so they could resell. I got workout clothes as well as everyday clothes from them. So grateful for this resource.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    +1 for the clearance rack! This is a great time of year to get things you can layer economically.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Dresses, trousers with a good amount of stretch and, um dresses.
    All my smart work trousers are now too big and look silly. I really should get at least some of them taken in...

Switch brands. I have 3 pair of exactly the same size jeans that fit very differently because there is no standardization in ladies sizes. Also, try different cuts.

Even within brands it can be a bit of a disaster.
    Currently wearing American Eagle skinny jeans which happen to be a size 2. Batkitten crazy. I'm not *really* that small, but they're my most flattering jeans.
    My American Eagle skinny chinos (same style, same cut) are a 4 and fit almost exactly the same.

I think most of my problems would be fixed if:
    - the UK American Eagle stores carried something other than ripped jeggings;
    - someone, somewhere abolished the horrid import duty on getting things shipped from the US to the UK (do you think His Cheeto-ness might do me a solid on that one?! :D );
    - I was allowed to wear jeans to work on days other than Friday!

Don't get me started on jackets either.
    I'm pretty small around the middle, have boobs (32D or 30E depending where I'm shopping) and then have massive shoulders and arms. I've basically given up on anything that doesn't have at least 2% lycra in it.

Epic first world problems all round really :D
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I agree with many suggestions above, and want to add one of my favorite places: Gabriel Brothers. If you have one near you, check them out. They are like a cheaper TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Ross- super cheap, because these tend to be either overstocks or fail a quality check (honestly, I can't find an obvious reason for most of this stuff, but you can occasionally find small holes or stains). It can be hit or miss but I have scored awesome workout gear and work clothes there- completely without a flaw that I can tell. And the brands can range into higher end stuff sometimes. Highly recommend along with thrift stores/walmart/etc.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!