Ditching the Personal Trainer?!!

Options
I have had a PT for the last 5 months and have lost 2 stone with her ready for my holiday! Now i'm back from my holiday and cannot continue to pay for her services. Has anyone got any advice on how they coped on their own?.. I have a lot more knowledge than when i first joined the gym, though i'm still worried that i will fall back into old habits with not having her keeping an eye on me.

Main question... How do you stay motivated?

Replies

• cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Can you find a workout buddy? That will be free motivation. :)
  • Holly_981
    Holly_981 Posts: 286 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I did a 12 week program with a friend. That was my initial motivation. 15 weeks later and it's now habit and determination to not undo what I achieved in that time. I no longer rely on her to go with me to the gym.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    A good trainer will make sure you have a plan. One option is to transition off - i.e. have her create a workout schedule/calendar for you for the next two weeks. Then see her again in two weeks to check in and adjust etc. You can move to once a month for a few months if you need the accountability, or stop once you are comfortable on your own. You could also see her for a month on/month off type thing, or even month off/week on. Just to keep you moving and motivated and make sure you are continuing to progress. There are also online trainers who can be more involved but cheaper. "SideSteel" on here does Skype training and is pretty reasonable. You can do some research during the transition and come up with something that works for you, then quit with her.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    We're all motivated differently but public accountability and tangible reminders of progress/misses always help. Write down a workout/nutrition plan on a weekly basis and stick it to the fridge or somewhere else where you and others won't be able to avoid seeing it and update progress on the plan as you go through the week.

The advice about about having the PT help you with a plan for the first few weeks without her/him is a good one.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    how often were you seeing her previously? I agree with the idea of having her help you come up with a couple of different workouts you could do and then a periodic session where she can assess and update plans as needed
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same dilemma and I have 2 trainers I need to wean myself off of but it's hard to "break-up". I have received a program of different workouts from one but getting to the gym without that appt is still hard for me after 2 1/2 years! I have one remains paid session with each so I just have to be honest about the $ situation. I have no trouble getting out for my long walks but I want to definitely keep up my weight training especially going into the fall!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    If your motivation problem is the getting to the gym part, then a buddy will help. If it's more slacking off once you're there, write your workout plan before you go and take your plan with you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Joannehoyx wrote: »
    I have had a PT for the last 5 months and have lost 2 stone with her ready for my holiday! Now i'm back from my holiday and cannot continue to pay for her services. Has anyone got any advice on how they coped on their own?.. I have a lot more knowledge than when i first joined the gym, though i'm still worried that i will fall back into old habits with not having her keeping an eye on me.

Main question... How do you stay motivated?
    The goal of any personal trainer should be to get rid of you as soon as you're ready. Why? Because that means you learned what you needed to to make it. A trainer shouldn't be your motivation to come. Nor should they be your watchdog. They should be there for advice and instruction on training and programming. You are responsible for you and if you haven't learned how to do that yet and still rely on the trainer than is it worth it to you to stop services and possibly relapse in weight regain? Only you really know the answer. Good trainers actually look for the opportunity to train someone new all the time so losing someone doesn't phase them as much as it phases the client.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above -- any teacher of any kind should be doing their best to make their students independent.

You might try a written program as a guide. People around here like Stronglifts, for example.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    My trainer actually came to my house to see what I had as far as equipment, showed me how to work out on my own using what I had, and put a routine in writing that also included variations. Maybe your trainer can set you up the same way or similar?
  • Joannehoyx
    Joannehoyx Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! My PT is quite good and been really supportive about me 'going it alone'. She continues to remind me that i know what needs to be done to reach my goals, but with another 3 stone to go i have my doubts about my capabilty. I have many family/friends to join the gym with me, but as i go to one in the city centre close to work, this is not ideal for them. With my recent weight loss, i am confident that i will not allow myself to gain as this is the most i've ever lost before, so i know it is now possible!

I guess its a self-confidence thing!
  • Joannehoyx
    Joannehoyx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    how often were you seeing her previously? I agree with the idea of having her help you come up with a couple of different workouts you could do and then a periodic session where she can assess and update plans as needed

once a week.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    My trainer actually came to my house to see what I had as far as equipment, showed me how to work out on my own using what I had, and put a routine in writing that also included variations. Maybe your trainer can set you up the same way or similar?

Some trainers really are awesome. Mine tried giving me a meal plan... after a few weeks of shaking his head at my reports and failures, he came to my house and showed me how to cook an egg and chicken. :)

Also, my trainer is really cool :) He works out himself at a different gym... he would text me anytime he was going there, and I could go "shadow" him. He did his own workout, i followed behind him doing the same workout (with much smaller weights!). I was careful not to bug him, but I got some extra training out of it for free and motivation :)