Woo..

Options
smh_cliff
smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
I may have just half posted this accidentally but can't find it so hopefully not!

Not sure this is even the right place but can someone tell me what the woo button is? Because my phone makes it look like a smiley laughing face, but laptop it looks more "wtf??!" Or "woah, chill".. and they're quite different. I really don't want to offend anyone by using it wrong!!

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    TECHNICALLY it's a "woo! Yay!!"

ACTUALLY it's "boo!"

MFPers use it when the post is full of "diet woo" aka things that aren't true, are gimmicks, fads, fake news, bad in general.

I may have been caught using it incorrectly just this week.....
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It can either be congratulatory or "why are you posting this broscience?"
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Here's the official announcement from its release: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10570889/new-community-reaction-woo#latest

"Since Woo is a different type of reaction than anything we've enabled in the past, we're going to start this off in beta mode.

"Woo can mean two things. You can click it both to mean woo as in woo-hoo or to express that you think an idea or approach is too good to be true.

"We hope you enjoy the new reaction!!"
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    it technically has two meanings "woo" as in woo science (basically, not true) or woo, as in woohoo!

typically its use depends on the post it is being used on. So if I said "you only lose weight by eating a diet of green beans" and the woo button is pushed its probably because that is silly advice.

If I say "yay, it's friday!" and the woo button is pushed then it is probably more of a woohoo meaning.

also, you will probably offend someone at some point regardless of how careful you try to be, so just try to be reasonable and enjoy your time on the forums :) no use stressing out too much over the buttons
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Here's the official announcement from its release: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10570889/new-community-reaction-woo#latest

"Since Woo is a different type of reaction than anything we've enabled in the past, we're going to start this off in beta mode.

"Woo can mean two things. You can click it both to mean woo as in woo-hoo or to express that you think an idea or approach is too good to be true.

"We hope you enjoy the new reaction!!"
    gvj9lab0ycsr.gif
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    TECHNICALLY it's a "woo! Yay!!"

ACTUALLY it's "boo!"

MFPers use it when the post is full of "diet woo" aka things that aren't true, are gimmicks, fads, fake news, bad in general.

I may have been caught using it incorrectly just this week.....

That's so funny. Until I read this, I always just thought it was only for "diet woo." The other kind never even occurred to me lol.
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Sorry people, for some reason I never saw any notifications for replies!! Thanks!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    MFP really needs an acronym index for newbies. Not all of us are "edumacated ". Jus' sayin '.

Just like the ACV: Only works with a vodka chaser.

[/quote]

If you add [ quote ] (no spaces) to the front of your quotes, it will make your posts a lot easier to read. And you've been given the link to the MFP acronyms list in one of your other posts. Read the stickied "must reads." ACV = apple cider vinegar
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    MFP really needs an acronym index for newbies. Not all of us are "edumacated ". Jus' sayin '.

Well lookey here!
    Acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members

:)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    It depends on the context. I've been mostly using it for "Woo, I'm sorry, that's awful." Like when someone says "Spent the night in the emergency room with my kid who broke a leg so lived off vending machine food." None of the other responses seems appropriate.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I first heard the term woo here on mfp, so i use it as it's most referenced here as 'broscience', for example on posts such as "ACV made me lose 20lbs a month" or " you won't lose weight if you eat after after 6pm" etc etc
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Woo is clearly used as in how Rick Flair would yell it when he was excited.