Shakeology=bad, need smoothie recipes please!

Options
After some convincing from a coworker, I joined Beachbody last month. I have free access to all workouts for a year, and I received a free month of Shakeology. So I love the workouts, and the Shakeology tastes decent, but I am getting "horrible side effects". Looked at the ingredients, and it has chicory root fiber, which after research I found out it can give certain people "horrible side effects".

So my question - I like the idea of having my shake after a workout, instead of cooking breakfast. I need some good, uncomplicated smoothie recipes to replace the Shakeology.

TIA!!

Replies

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    https://dashingdish.com/recipe/key-lime-pie-protein-shake/

I've made this one numerous times and it's amazing every time!
    When I make it it's around 330 calories (150 for protein powder, 100 for 2% cottage cheese, 35 for 1/2 a graham cracker (optional) and and optional 30 I add 2 tsp of brown sugar. I don't really worry about the few leaves of spinach I throw in and the lime juice cals. Would also be good with a spritz of whipped cream on top!
  • Sp1tfire
    Options
    Why not just have food?

technically a smoothie is food! Just in extra convenient form
  • kathyrunsfast
    kathyrunsfast Posts: 7,092 Member
    Options
    Here are some good ones...

Green Monster

2 c fresh spinach (I used organic)
    1T flax seed ground
    1 - 1.5 c milk
    1 banana
    Put flax then spinach then banana then milk in blender (the weight holds down spinach) and blend on high 1 minute. Add ice and put on ice setting. Enjoy!

Protein Shake from Dashing Dish
    Base for Shake:
    1/2 cup FF Cottage Cheese (or 1 Cup Reduced Fat Greek Yogurt)1
    1 scoop Protein powder (something that has around 100 calories per scoop - I love Designer Whey™ Protein Powder)
    1-3 splenda
    5-10 Ice cubes (depending on how thick you like it, use less for a thinner consistency)
    1/2-1 cup water (alter this according to desired consistency)
    Cottage cheese may sound strange, but TRUST me… this is what makes the ‘MILKSHAKE’ consistency! Also, if you are sensitive to dairy, you can use tofu to get the same consistency!
    http://dashingdish.com/recipe/dashing-d ... ein-shake/
    The above link will give you other flavor suggestions. Very helpful and delicious!

http://www.health.com/food/protein-shakes-without-protein-powder

This has several recipes that you could tweak that don't contain any powdered protein mix.
  • hawilliams78
    hawilliams78 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you, those all sound great! I would have never thought to try cottage cheese!
  • KetoneKraze
    KetoneKraze Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    After some convincing from a coworker, I joined Beachbody last month. I have free access to all workouts for a year, and I received a free month of Shakeology. So I love the workouts, and the Shakeology tastes decent, but I am getting "horrible side effects". Looked at the ingredients, and it has chicory root fiber, which after research I found out it can give certain people "horrible side effects".

So my question - I like the idea of having my shake after a workout, instead of cooking breakfast. I need some good, uncomplicated smoothie recipes to replace the Shakeology.

TIA!!

Have you tried or heard of Keto OS/MAX?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Do you want basically a protein shake or a smoothie, which I think of as more of a breakfast substitute -- more calories, with vegetables, fat, and protein?

My favorite recent smoothie:

protein powder (I'd use natural or vanilla)
    coconut milk (any other milk or yogurt would work too, since this is quite low fat I like that either coconut milk or home made cashew milk will add a little)
    cucumber
    fennel
    lots of kale, spinach would work too, but I like kale with these ingredients
    melon
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I make a breakfast smoothie a few times a week. I put in 1/2 cup homemade almond milk, 1 banana, 2 tbsp. ground peanut butter (just the peanuts nothing else) and .5-1 tsp of unsweetened cocoa. If you want a sweeter taste, just use regular organic peanut butter spread (that has some oil and sugar in it),
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I like a simple smoothie containing 1C almond milk, .75C mixed berries, half a banana, small handful of spinach, and a scoop of vanilla protein powder.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My favorite tastes like a peanut butter and jelly

6 oz unsweetened almond milk
    1 scoop plain plant protein
    1 small handful raw spinach
    1/2 c berries of your choice
    1 tbsp almond butter
    squirt of vanilla extract
    a few shakes of cinnamon
    ice
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    "horrible side effects".

i am soooooooo curious . . . except when i think about it and the other half of my brain tells me that yeah, no, i actually probably don't want to know.

i'm insanely uninteresting with my smoothies. plain yogurt, vanilla whey protein power, and frozen berries. it was a wild and crazy ride when i allowed some bananas into my life for a [very] short time and my smoothies had that in them too.
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I drink this daily and from reviews I've read this is highly comparable to shakeology. k75n8q7cwifx.png
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I like a cup or two of soy milk, a serving of frozen cherries or blueberries and half a frozen banana. Can add protein powder, yogurt, etc. to this. Also some vanilla extract. Frozen bananas are a great smoothie sweetener. Let the bananas get ripe and peel them before you freeze them.
  • kips123
    kips123 Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My fav is 1 cup frozen raspberries, 1/2 cup chocolate almond milk and 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein powder. Tastes like a chocolate raspberry milkshake. My dietitian advised a non-milk, non-soy diet thus the whey and almond milk.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I never recommend MLM products. I use Body Fortress protein. However if I want something more like dessert I put frozen strawberries in the food processor with some milk and some vanilla.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    For breakfast: I have a single server coffee maker. I rehydrate the coconut by putting it in my mug and brewing the coffee on top of it. I do this the night before. I let it sit on the counter for 30 minutes, then add a few ice cubes, and put it in the frig. In the AM I add the chia seeds and protein powder, for a very fast, filling, and low calorie breakfast that also tastes yummy.

In the winter I just let it sit long enough for the coffee to cool to a point where the protein powder won't congeal.

Yesterday was a double smoothie day:

121bcc63c95214c4fe52989c16e50019.png

• Sp1tfire
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    My favorite tastes like a peanut butter and jelly

6 oz unsweetened almond milk
    1 scoop plain plant protein
    1 small handful raw spinach
    1/2 c berries of your choice
    1 tbsp almond butter
    squirt of vanilla extract
    a few shakes of cinnamon
    ice

mm saving this one!
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Four scoops of dymatize ISO 100, some water, my own tears because food is just fuel now.
    100 grams of protein 5 carbs 7 grams of pure sadness.
    Take 30 seconds to make.