Just do it?

Options
I wish I would just do it. I have no real reasons why I can't just start exercising regularly. I do work FT and also have a very PT job but I still have plenty of time. I'm just THAT lazy I guess. I can lose with paying attention to diet but as soon as I add exercise, I plateau so I again will try to lose a little more and then add activity but never really get a consistent routine. It can't be that hard to figure out calorie in/calories burned but it too escapes me. How do people just get started one day and keep going?

Replies

• MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    For me it was a want for something better. Better long term health and, if I ever have the change, a healthy pregnancy. Had I tried to get pregnant 80 pounds ago it could have been bad news.

Then, if and when I have a kid, I would want to stay healthy for them and be an example so they don't have to go through what I did.

For some people, doing it for yourself may not be enough. I had a hard time starting too until I had clear goals and other people to think about
  • AzizThink
    AzizThink Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The most important thing to me is to "exercise" once I go to the gym regularly and never stop I start calculate calories and protein.

Just make the exercise a major habit in your daily program then the rest will come automatically.

BBM: D72D01FF
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    It's easier for me to exercise in the morning, I dread working out after work and I also work full time M-F and PT on the wknds.
  • PeteG7606
    PeteG7606 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Exercise 1st thing in the morning to get it out of the way. No excuses for not getting to it, or something came up etc. Unfortunately, you have to make sacrifices. That means no Fallon and getting up earlier. The workout routine is very important at this point. Find a good exercise program that fits your goals. Make fitness your priority and like Aziz said, the rest will follow.
  • artanis50
    artanis50 Posts: 96 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm still new at this and have a ton of weight to lose still. But so far, what works for me is CONSTANTLY repeating my "why" to myself. I have tried to lose the weight so many times and failed for a million different reasons. I want this time to. E different and I need to keep reminding myself. So when I don't want to exercise or eat the healthy food, I do this:

1. Look at fat and skinny pictures of myself and ask who would you rather be?
    2. Remind myself the reason WHY I'm doing this. Not only for me to look and feel better, but so I can be there for my son who is 4.

It's not easy. Not every day is perfect. TRUST THE PROCESS and don't give up when the scale doesn't move the way you want.

Good luck
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Most of weight loss will be because of your diet, exercise is just cream. Once you start exercising you body tends to hold onto a bit of water to help recovery and that can look like a plateau from the outside. If you're on point with your diet, you will resume losing in time.

Out of curiosity, do you eat back the exercise calories once you add exercise into the equation? While this is not necessarily a bad thing to do, if you are not getting an accurate measure of your calories expended then eating them all back can put you back at or over maintenance! The MFP data base, machines like treadmills and certain apps (I'm looking at you Strava!) can give you an inflated number of calories spent - sometimes as much as 20-30% over what you actually did. Eat back with caution!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I use the "end goal plus all I have to" method. I hate working out. But I know that if I get myself to the gym I'll do it. So I tell myself I can work out and get stronger. All I have to do is get changed. And then all I have to do is fill my water bottle. And then all I have to do is get in the car.

I break it into steps that are so small there's no way to fail.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I set myself some fitness goals... first I did insanity, then p90x3, then I signed up to run a 10k...