Food Intake - Eating too much and Fast Food, I need help!!!

Options
Hi everyone!

So for those that are taking the time to read this, thank you so much! I am in desperate need of some motivation and to get back on track nutrition wise. Lately, my food intake has been just horrible which I understand if you slipped up a bit and are still within your calorie range but for me it goes beyond that. No matter what I do, it seems like I am always hungry no matter what I eat. Or even when I am not hungry, like today I came home after the Gym, drank tons of water but then was looking for food even though I just ate lunch about five minutes before. It's like I am always craving for snacks and when I remind myself just to have a little bit, it never works for me. I cant stop eating and its probably because I am home and maybe, I'm bored. I also been ordering fast food like every single day. It's seriously an addiction for me. Today, I ordered something very greasy and I fell asleep afterwards for two hours. I had no energy at all and I feel just gross. It was a complete difference than how I did feel beforehand when I went to the gym and drinking my water. I had so much energy and I felt great but then when I ordered fast food, it all went downhill for me. See, I am 390lbs and there is a reason I'm this big, probably because of all of the junk food I have ate in my lifetime and I need to do something about this but its like one week I would do so great and then the next week I just lose my motivation to stay on track. I even joined a couple of challenges on MyFitnessPal and one of them started a little over a week ago and I was so excited about it but then my boyfriend's mother died last Thursday and it was hard on the entire family and myself. She was like a second mom to me. So what did I do, eat and eat and eat, and now we got back home Sunday night which is like 4 hours away from their place and it felt so great to be back home but since I came home, I have eaten fast food every single day and not just a little bit a lot that is tons of calories and most of the time I had no idea how many calories I was really consuming. I'm scared for my life and I need some motivation and encouragement to get back in the swing of things. Has anyone here been in my shoes? and if you have any support or guidance or just any thoughts on this, please share it with me!

Replies

• kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've been very motivated with the OMAD group here on MFP. So many great people who all do intermittent fasting and they are so happy on their incredible journey to weight loss success. Check it out and read about it. It may be what you need.
  • Katherinelittle24
    Katherinelittle24 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I don't know if I want to just eat one meal a day though. I eventually want to try intermittent fasting but first, I am trying to work out some other things. If I do that right away, I feel like I would be setting myself up for failure. So thanks, just not for me right now.
  • kokonani
    Options
    Okay.. you wanted help and you sound so sad and desperate for any kind of motivation, yet you don't want to do this, you don't want to do that.. it sounds like you don't want to change.. good luck!
  • Katherinelittle24
    Katherinelittle24 Posts: 63 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    you don't have to be rude! Okay I thought this website is to encourage others, not to bring them down when I don't think intermittent fasting right now is the right solution for me. We are suppose to support each other, I do want to change! but not that way, not now. I wanted motivation and guidance, to maybe help me come up with a solution that I can work with, not just to tell me, "oh hey maybe just eat one meal a day", how is that a solution? if I do that right now without thinking about it, I will fail! I rather stick within my calorie range than do that because if I just eat one meal a day, I will starve myself. I am almost 400lbs and let me guess, your probably 200lbs? If I do this, I bet you I would probably gain all of my weight back in a matter of months, so please if you are going to be a jerk, than don't comment on my post. Leave the negative feedback elsewhere.
  • kokonani
    Options
    you don't have to be rude! Okay I thought this website is to encourage others, not to bring them down when I don't think intermittent fasting right now is the right solution for me. We are suppose to support each other, I do want to change! but not that way, not now. I wanted motivation and guidance, to maybe help me come up with a solution that I can work with, not just to tell me, "oh hey maybe just eat one meal a day", how is that a solution? if I do that right now without thinking about it, I will fail! I rather stick within my calorie range than do that because if I just eat one meal a day, I will starve myself. I am almost 400lbs and let me guess, your probably 200lbs? If I do this, I bet you I would probably gain all of my weight back in a matter of months, so please if you are going to be a jerk, than don't comment on my post. Leave the negative feedback elsewhere.

Don't be so defensive. I just said that it has motivated me and that you should check it out. You are the one who said, no thanks. I thought THAT was blatantly rude. There are people who intermittent fast and have started at 300-400 lbs! I was trying to share with you what helps me and motivates me. There is absolutely no starving involved! FYi, I'm 115lbs- loving it and in the best shape of my life, thank you. 40years old with 3 kids, at that. Good luck!
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm sorry you're caught up in this problem.

Here are some suggestions, which may or may not work for you:

(1) Meal prep. Make some nutritious food ahead of time in batches, like casseroles and salads, fruit and vegetable snacks. Make sure your fridge and cupboards are always stocked with food you can easily grab. Buy some good quality canned soup (I like Amy's brand soups) and make yourself a cup of soup and a sandwich. Never let your fridge and cupboards get low.

(2) Don't allow yourself to miss normal meals.

(3) If you have certain times when you know you will go home and are likely to binge on fast food, can you put yourself somewhere else during that time? The gym? An exercise class? Somewhere else?

(4) Join a group or a club to achieve a goal -- an exercise group or volunteer for a charity. The point is to occupy yourself in something positive where you will not be involved with food.

(5) Talk to a therapist and see if a professional can give you some tips.

Good luck!
  • eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You just had a death in the family; of course you want comfort, and food is very comforting. Don't beat yourself up too much. You're going through a lot right now.

It might be worth trying to maintain for a week or so until you get your head in the game. Or start small -- take one time during the day you'd have fast food and eatsomething else. Just one time. Start there, do that until it's easy. Then take two times during the day, etc. Good luck, and take care of yourself.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Just log, log everything- the good, the bad, and the ugly.
    This will give you an idea of how many calories you are eating.

Then Set MFP up to lose .5 lbs a week to begin with, and try to get close to those calories.
    Use a food scale for all food made at home, or the restaurant website for calorie counts.

You said you can stick to your cals a week, then you lose your motivation. Think of the amount of times you stick to it, not the times that you lose motivation.
    Even if you just manage to eat at a reasonable deficit 2 weeks out of 5 you are winning!

Keep at it, keep trying, and don't give up even if you have a bad week or month.

Cheers, h.
    ETA You may find it worth going to your doctor to check you have no medical problems that may need treating, some can make weight loss more difficult.
    You may also want to ask about a registered dietitian to help guide you through food choices and portion sizes, or a therapist to talk through your relationship with food.

Sometimes talking through things with people you don't know, especially professionals, can help clarify things. h.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain overnight, and it will take a long journey to reclaim your health. I read on mfp recently that it takes about 2 months for many people to establish new habits. You really need to establush the habit of logging ALL you eat, every day. You will go over some days. Just log it. Determination will get you there, with patience and hard work. Good luck and hang out on these boards a lot. There is excellent advice and ideas on here.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    If you're like me, you're probably ordering fast food because it's easy and convenient, right? Try and find some new things that are easy to prep, or that you can prep ahead of time. Crock pot recipes are always a good one for that. If you find you're not feeling satiated, try finding what helps you feel full longer. For some it's fats, for some it's protein. I find too much salt seems to mess with me feeling full, although I don't know if that's actually a thing or not.

Also ask yourself what causes you to lose motivation. High expectations, exercises you don't actually enjoy, making meals, etc. If you can figure out a reason, then you can try to work around it. For example having to constantly meal prep can cause me to fall off, so I started pre-planning and making ahead as much stuff as I could. It's helped.
  • karahunts
    karahunts Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try removing unhealthy snacks and food from your fridge? I'm the type of person who cant eat just on serving of chips or cookies (I'm referring to the large family bags). I have to eat it all at once even when I'm full so I stopped buying those things. Whem I want a treat I buy individual packages so when It's done that's it, I can't eat more. It's hard to overeat when all you have is fruit and veg. For snacks in the house. Pack your own lunch at work and limit the money you take with you sobyou can't buy anything else. If you can try to cook individual servings each night so you can't overeat your healthy dinners.

The next time you feel the urge to snack inappropriately read the post you've just written...i feel like that should deter you.

Another thing is simply just dont buy bad things. Shop for good when full...i avoid my job cafe like the plague on fried chicken and buttermilk biscuit day!

If you have a sweet tooth try popsicle brand frozen popsicles...theyre sugar free, don't taste like it at all and only 15 cals. Or enlightened toasted almond ice cream bars. Delicious and only 70!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I'm sorry for your loss. Do take care of yourself and your family and cut yourself some slack during a difficult time.

Have you been to a doctor? I ask because your symptoms sound so much like mine when I was suffering from undiagnosed diabetes, and your weight puts you at higher risk. Whatever else you do, do see a doctor and get some bloodwork and opinions on your diet and exercise. At your size they may be able to recommend medication or other interventions as well as diet, and it never hurts to check.

Feeling hungry right after eating, drinking tons of water, and having your energy levels go up and down depending on your food does sound as if you may have some insulin resistance, which is very common with obesity. If that's the case, eating lower carb and lower on the glycemic index can help. Again, a doctor can tell you if that's part of the problem.

Start by logging everything you eat and all your activity. No judgement. Then you can look at where you are and where to make changes. Good luck to you.