I gained 55 pounds in one year and now I'm having a hard time shedding it off :(

Options
I've always been about 120 pounds. Last year I had two miscarriages back to back and went through a depression. I gained 55 pounds and now I need to lose it. I'm uncomfortable and my self esteem is so low. I work full time and also attend college so the gym is not an option for me. My husband is up to eating whatever I make but I don't want to just feed him veggies. I need encouragement, healthy eating tips and moderate exercise ideas I can do at home. I'm hoping to make a group of online friends who help and support one another on this journey to weight loss!:)

Replies

• QJ18
    QJ18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds similar to mine! I gained about 50 lbs in the past 2 years and it feels terrible. I've had good luck in the past using fitnessblender programs and I'm one month in to one right now. I joined this site a week ago and it has made me way more aware if how much I'm eating. I'm down to be friends/motivational buddies if you're interested!
  • chrwel02
    chrwel02 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It really sucks how easy it is to gain the weight and how hard it is to lose...we can do this! :) I have about 103 pounds left to lose.
  • MissTeriAnn
    MissTeriAnn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement! I saw your weight loss, what an accomplishment :) I'm trying to lose maybe a pound a week. I think that might be a good start.
  • donalacarey
    donalacarey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Sorry to hear your stories. Its not easy. This app works. Its just about making it convenient and learn that its ok to fall off the wagon. No training regime can combat a bad diet so keep it simple and get rid of tasty distractions.

Donal
  • MissTeriAnn
    Options
    Thank you QJ18! 50 pounds is a lot of weight! I bought one pound of fake fat just to see what it looks like and to think 50 of those is gained, is sad. I will look into the blender program. I need something that is on-the-go meals. I leave my house at 5am and I'm not home until 6pm. Right now I pack lunch of raw veggies and have a dinner at night. It's not working for me Iike I'd like.
  • MissTeriAnn
    Options
    Hi Donal, thank you. I'm giving this a try. Yes you're right, falling off the wagon doesn't mean it's the end or that I'll never reach my goal.
  • mombergof2
    mombergof2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I've been on & off this sight through thick & thin in the past 5 yrs. It helps being accountable only if your in for the hard work. I have turned to Arbonne just so it makes my life easier not to have to look for all those "right" foods.
    My whole family loves it. This way, we can have a snack on the run before sports & eat dinner after & no one is starving! I hope this helps,because it did me!
  • JesusMartinez46
    JesusMartinez46 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    chrwel02 wrote: »
    It really sucks how easy it is to gain the weight and how hard it is to lose...we can do this! :) I have about 103 pounds left to lose.

Best wishes on your journey. I have 275 pounds to lose here.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Focus on Calories In/Calories Out. I tried a lot of things to lose weight but its really came down to that. I'm at 248 pounds now and I started at 281 5 months ago. There are a lot of good options out there that are filling, affordable and low calorie. Look into things like Red's Burritos for breakfast (250 calories), Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers for lunch with a salad (350 calories). Balance in a decent amount of water and eat frequent small snacks. For instance, I eat 1 pound of Strawberries a day spread over 9 hours. It's cheap right now and less than 200 calories. Thats 800 calories before I even begin to think about dinner and the best part is I am never hungry. At dinner I pound the calories to get to around 2000 calories which is what my body needs. 3 times a week I do a HIIT/Strength based workout with a trainer but you can do a lot of those type of workouts on your own in about 22 minutes as long as you keep your heart rate up. Try not to live and die by the scale either. A better way to do this is to put on a tight piece of clothing and put it on each week, taking a picture, you will see the real results that way.
  • MissTeriAnn
    Options
    I love this idea! I have all my old clothes I can try and squeeze in. How about snacking on almonds? Is that too much? I'll have to try the strawberries:)
  • ericamarkwardt73
    ericamarkwardt73 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can only imagine what you are going through, emotionally. It is so hard to make such a big lifestyle change with such a heavy emotional burden. Even taking emotion out of the equation, your hormones are likely out of balance as well. Take it from someone who is chronically hard on themselves-sometimes, there is more to the picture than calories in, calories out. My two cents worth: find healthy replacements for the foods you typically crave (good fats, protein, and what you are craving, but with a healthier overall impact on your body-you can find suggested replacements for typically craved items on google) that satisfy the cravings you are having (there is a usually a physiological reason that you crave them). Gaining weight is hard, but so is trying to lose it when you are not physically or emotionally ready for it. Best of luck to you!
  • Asuperstar12
    Asuperstar12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat... I gained 80 lbs over 3 years and am having the hardest time trying to shed it to get back to my healthy weight. THis website has helped me be more aware of what i'm eating and how much. Portion control and you can still have meat etc. THere is a ratio online somewhere but idk where to find it but it helps tyo eat healthier.
  • Asuperstar12
    Asuperstar12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love this idea! I have all my old clothes I can try and squeeze in. How about snacking on almonds? Is that too much? I'll have to try the strawberries:)

snacking on a hand full of peanuts when you get the craving at night is good because you get protein and good fat, same goes for almonds. Hummus and veggies is good for protein and good carbs just watch the sodium. eating more calories during the day and then at night have a lighter dinner because you digest slower in your sleep. no sugar at night fruits are better in the morning because you can use the glucose during the day.
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You could do overnight oats and boil eggs on the weekend for breakfast. You just grab them in the morning. I make a batch of chicken on Sunday and also some ground turkey. I make salads through out the week or pair them with a cooked veggie for dinner. Tacos salads using the ground turkey are delicious and low calorie. You could also slap the chicken between some bread? There's lots of low calorie options for bread.
  • Thestepper
    Thestepper Posts: 17 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

You've gotten great advice from everyone. The only thing I want to suggest is possibly seeing a counselor/therapist as you've been through a lot. It is just as an important to be emotionally healthy as it is physically. I firmly believe that the battle to lose weight starts with the right mindset.
  • kberan5
    kberan5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Almonds should be fine to snack on. Remember everything in moderation. The biggest obstacle is changing the mindset of it being a diet and rather it being just a way of daily life. After that its really just showing up each day and sticking to living a healthier life. Don't starve yourself and feel so imprisoned by calorie counts that it makes you hate what you are doing. Some days I blow my calorie counts by 500 and other days MFP is yelling at me to eat more. No two days are going to be exactly alike. Think of it this way: If you drive your car at 90 mph its going to need to consume more fuel but if you drive it at 30mph its going to need less. Same deal with the body. Give the body exactly what it asks for, nothing more and nothing less. Overtime Calories In/Calories Out(CICO) will become an automatic thing. Happy to help in any way.
  • aguy0980
    aguy0980 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My deepest condolences for your lose. I can relate to the weight gain, as I gained 45 last year and I am trying to loose that and an additional 20. I am new to MFP, but my suggestions would be the following:

1. Meal prep on Sunday, if possible - This way you know what you're eating and portions. If not possible, then make lean meats and veggies for you and add a carb for your husband. (ex. only enough rice for him or only 1 baked potato).
    2. Fitness Vidoes - I prefer "Fitness Blender" its on Youtube and videos are from 15-55 mins. So you can choose pace and fitness level. Walking is also helpful, maybe you can do this on weekends.
    3. Rest - This means physically and mentally. You have been through a lot and you are busy. Try to take a little time for yourself a day (even if 5 mins). Also, sleep.

I'm no expert, I'm just an overweight girl trying and this is what I work at. Best of luck, sweetie...and you are already gorgeous. :)