Side effects of eating too much protein?

Options
Does anyone know what the side effects are of too much protein? I heard it can make your face look fuller, but then again, there are people on these high protein diets,, like Atkins and the Dukan diet that are losing tons of weight and look great...soooo confused...

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    High protein...how high? I'm doing about 145g of protein a day and don't have those issues BUT I didn't cut out carbs like Atkins either, so I think that's part of it. It's probably more JUST the protein without the necessary carbs we DO need that cause issues.

Bad breath is a common side effect of the Atkins diet I know.

I switched my nutrient things in custom settings so I'm set at 40/30/30 (carbs, fat, protein) and that helps up the protein intake. Skip the "fad" diets, they don't work, eat smaller portions, healthy foods, cut out the junk. I've lost 71lbs in what will be a year next week without a plateau too. So doing it the "hard" way works :D
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I've read osteoperosis, stomach issues and kidney issues.

You can google it and there are lots of medical articles and personal opinions on it.

I guess it depends on where your protein is coming from and how much you are consuming.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a gram of protein per pound and have noticed my body tightening up since doing so. I'm sure there's such a thing as over doing protein but I think it would take a lot.
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    I'm doing a gram of protein per pound and have noticed my body tightening up since doing so. I'm sure there's such a thing as over doing protein but I think it would take a lot.

Just curious, do you know how many ounces a gram of protein is?
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    When you log your food, it will show you the grams for each item. I try to eat between 130 - 150 grams per day. Haven't had any health issues, have low blood pressure, have never been on meds of any kind, and have been at or below a BMI of 20.8 my entire life. It's all what works for you and how it makes you feel.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I noticed quite a few men who took protein shakes fart and it stinks really badly

thats the only thing i can think of
  • dovenotes
    dovenotes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You can definitely overdo it on protein. Like the other poster said, osteoporosis, kidney stones, and more. Too much protein is actually not beneficial and robs your bones of calcium in addition to being( OMG )- stored as fat. We want to be lean and fit and healthy. I have heard how Americans consume more protein than they need. Now of course an athletes needs more protein than a sedentary person. It depends on your activity level and other factors. The best thing to do is some online research from reputable medical sources and not diet and exercise gurus, then consult your doctor to find what is the right amount for you.
  • thekresos
    thekresos Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    People on no carb diets lose a ton of weight initially because they are losing all water weight from essentially putting themselves into "fatty acid overdose" and becoming dehydrated.

High protein diets coupled with an otherwise balanced diet are ok.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I eat my body weight (145lbs) in grams of protein everyday (or I try to - some days are lower and some days are higher). I don't have any side effects from it. But, then.. I didn't cut out carbs or anything else while doing it. I did up my water intake when I first started eating more protein as some articles I read said it CAN cause constipation until your body gets used to it. :)
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    I've read osteoperosis, stomach issues and kidney issues.

You can google it and there are lots of medical articles and personal opinions on it.

I guess it depends on where your protein is coming from and how much you are consuming.

The only issue with the kidneys as far as protein is if you start to 'spill' too much protein in your urine. That is a sign that your kidneys are not working properly (from one who knows). Eating protein in and of itself is not an issue for the kidneys.