Replacing Facebook

Options
So I have been using this app for about 20 something days now and I really have stopped using Facebook this is an awesome socail platform. Send me an address I'll try to help you stay on track!! Cancledy Facebook because this is better :)

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I discuss weight/health stuff here, cooking on cooking sites and family/friend stuff on facebook. Different forums for different stuff.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I discuss weight/health stuff here, cooking on cooking sites and family/friend stuff on facebook. Different forums for different stuff.

This^^. Not all of my friends are into fitness and weight management, so I don't discuss that on Facebook. Nor would I expect them to join here just to keep in touch with me. And those friends that are into political stuff that I'm not? I simply unfollow them so their blah, blah, blah doesn't overwhelm my Facebook feed.

Different sites for different purposes. :)
  • jamiefarnsworth453
    jamiefarnsworth453 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is a valid point^^ I just dislike Facebook ha ha I enjoy this site and most people communicate with me via phone (text, calls)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I haven't had FB in over 5 years.... Definitely don't miss it and MFP is just calorie counting for me with a side of lolz.
  • igarcia13
    igarcia13 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Same here! Been over Facebook for about a year but I'm hooked on MFP lol
  • myfitnessjourneyto180
    Options
    This is literally facebook but without people you know irl and calorie-tracking XD
  • smallsteps2success
    smallsteps2success Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Agreed I just got soooo sick of political crap and everyone here wants to help everyone else so I'm keeping with it

I totally agree!
  • smallsteps2success
    smallsteps2success Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    igarcia13 wrote: »
    Same here! Been over Facebook for about a year but I'm hooked on MFP lol

I'm hooked too...in a good way lol. Love that people are on the same journey and supportive of each other. =)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You don't need my address. That's easy enough to find anyway. But I also have become a facebook ghost. I use it to communicate with my wife during my workday as she's not often near a telephone. I blocked so many fake news stories in the recent national election that now facebook's algorithm doesn't have a clue what I want to see.

The "flag" button on mfp alerts the censors who will remove political assertions and contretemps from the main room of the Discussions. The groups established for any who want to discuss politics are dead.

Of course, when I updated my facebook profile photo with the one I'm using here, I got congratulatory comments from dozens of fb friends around the world. Some were relations, some were just people I'd never met.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Ha! I just mentioned to my wife last night that I am thinking of canceling facebook and instagram...I am tired of the constant screaming on it and tired of them tracking everything I view
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Ha! I just mentioned to my wife last night that I am thinking of canceling facebook and instagram...I am tired of the constant screaming on it and tired of them tracking everything I view

It is totally cool that on mfp we can search for something or click a link without then being targeted for advertising for months afterward. You can't do that with google, facebook, or Amazon.
  • enoughisenough3565
    enoughisenough3565 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Im also tired of the constant political debates and fights on facebook. I also have a few on my list that give me attitude if I post anything related to weightloss or healthy ideas. I dont post here much yet, but it is so nice to be with like minded people!
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    Temporary thread drift:

The newish 'feature' about Facebook that is pissing me off is that if some of my friends make a post on the wall of someone who *isn't* on my list of friends, that post shows up on my wall anyway. Even if I don't know them.

And it seems that the only option I have is to "unfollow" the friend that posted it, which is dumb. I *do* want to see what they post on their own wall, just not what they post on the walls of people I don't know. Seems like it has something to do with how these friends have their settings set up rather than something that I have (and should have!) control over.

Or am I missing something? Which is entirely possible, too. :/
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @snickerscharlie

You might want to use the FaceBook Purity Add-On to drown out the unwanted. I use it in Chrome and it works great. Only see what you want to see and not what FB crams into our feed.

http://www.fbpurity.com/

Hijacking of thread now over - please resume :)
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    @snickerscharlie

You might want to use the FaceBook Purity Add-On to drown out the unwanted. I use it in Chrome and it works great. Only see what you want to see and not what FB crams into our feed.

http://www.fbpurity.com/

I love you. <3
  • angel88mil
    angel88mil Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Love the people on here !!!!
  • 76Crane76
    76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I too faded from fb when I got on this site. I am currently so focused on myself and this journey that there is no room for negative fb and constant headaches!