Tips for motivation?

Options
Hey guys, does anyone have some tips for motivation on eating healthier and exercising? Would appreciate since I'm new to this. Thanks!

Replies

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, no. We cannot know what motivates you.
    Maybe it is being healthier, getting off some medication or getting good results for blood tests.
    For some it is being healthy for their family.
    Others just like the feeling when exercising and want to eat well to fuel their exercise.
    And then others want to fit in specific clothing (again), want to look their best for an event.

But there is a general understanding: Eating healthy and exercising is a lifestyle. You will not always be motivated to keep doing it, but the point is, you need to do what needs to be done, so you should do it anyway. Like doing taxes and paying bills. Because the outlook on any other choice would be worse.
  • bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 153 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Although this won't work for everybody, when i was 32.5st 18months ago, my waist was 62" so i bought a pair of trouser that were 58" and have gone on like that, i'm 10st lighter and wearing 52" waist now, and have just ordered the 48" waist trousers!!! like i say it won't work for every body but it gives me something to aim for. :)
    Also reading other peoples success stories help keep you inspired, but in all honesty the only reason its working this time for me is because my mindset has changed and i really want to lose it, and i accepted that its gonna take me 3 yrs to lose it.
    My Acceptance of my situation motivates me i suppose, if that makes sense....
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hey guys, does anyone have some tips for motivation on eating healthier and exercising? Would appreciate since I'm new to this. Thanks!

Read the sticky posts at the top of the Success Stories section for motivation. Look at progress pics of those who have lost weight. If losing weight is your goal....
    And reading the stickies in General Diet and Weight Loss Help is educational and helpful too.
    Lots of info and motivation to be found in these forums.
    Good luck
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It depends what brought you here in the first place really :)
  • paigearanki1
    paigearanki1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Weight loss. Should have specified more, sorry!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Make it a habit don't depend on motivation.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    If you want results you have to change your lifestyle.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can find motivation from other people. That has to be your own.

You can find inspiration, though. You can get ideas about the path you need to take.

Read the stickies. Read the stickies. Did I mention - read the stickies. Especially in the Getting Started area and here in General Diet and Weight Loss.

If you want some inspiration, go browse the Success Stories forum.

I will also recommend browsing the website of the National Weight Control Registry and reading their studies to get a feel for an idea of how losing weight but should be about keeping it off long term.

Here's a link: nwcr.ws/