Paraplegic needs help

As indicated, I'm a paraplegic. I have spina bifida and I cannot walk. This is making my weight loss journey frustrating as heck. Since I am sedentary most the time other than pushing my chair, I do not get in as much exercise as an able bodied person. I also have severe back issues from years of surgeries. I'm 32, I have a 10 year old that I'm too exhausted to keep up with and I'm sick of it. I used to eat once a day, or not at all. I'm trying to retrain my body finally to where I'm able to eat more without feeling like I'm going to vomit. I've set my goal at 1200 calories a day, but I'm not even hitting that mark. I feel too full, especially now that I'm drinking more water. I've cut out soda and coffee to a large extent. I used to drive through Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts every day. I've unintentionally stopped eating red meat, limiting my bread. I love pasta, but now I eat less and make sure it's whole grain. I live in New Mexico and we have trails out here everywhere, however, 99% are inaccessible to me. I can't afford a gym. I use weights at home, but I I feel it's a waste because I don't know what will help with weight loss, plus I have to take into account my horrible balance. I'm just stuck. Thanks.

Replies

• carebears1973
    carebears1973 Posts: 63 Member
    Can your doctor refer you to physio and a dietitian? It sounds as though you need medical support and advice to carry out your journey. Remember, no matter how slow you progress you are doing much better than those chosing to do nothing x
  • Krystina_86
    Krystina_86 Posts: 2 Member
    Are there any pools with a wheelchair lift or ramp? We have a pool in my city that gets used for physical therapy and rehabilitation type thing with a ramp and a lift (and it's warmer than most pools). Just moving around in water is light weight resistance and helps burn extra calories.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    A friend of mine in RL and on mfp is also paraplegic and also ballooned big before learning how to count her calories and like the foods that help her feel as good as possible while she exists. You'll need to really and truly use a kitchen scale to weigh each and every thing you eat or drink. You'll really need to learn what foods satisfy you while providing high and well-balanced nutrition. It is easier than it may seem and you can do it. Enjoy!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Aa
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    I have nothing to add except well-wishes from one Spina Bifida survivor to another!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,464 Member
    Most weight loss comes from food, not exercise. Make a list of healthy, low calorie foods you love. Fill your kitchen with these. Good start!