Vegan Keto Meal Plan

Options
boditalk
boditalk Posts: 7 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone, I'm new in here. Long story short, I've been dealing with insulin resistance for 9 months (just realized a few weeks ago). I'm a 44 year old female who is also pre-menopausal. Dr has been no real help and I don't want to go on meds. Someone suggested keto. Please help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    boditalk wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm new in here. Long story short, I've been dealing with insulin resistance for 9 months (just realized a few weeks ago). I'm a 44 year old female who is also pre-menopausal. Dr has been no real help and I don't want to go on meds. Someone suggested keto. Please help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vegan and keto is going to be challenging. Why not just lower your carbohydrates but not to keto levels?
    You're already vegan I assume?

What meds are you referring to? What symptoms of IR do you have?

• EmBurney
    EmBurney Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    boditalk wrote: »

Hey there!

I'm currently giving it a go myself (first week done), but not for medical reasons - I've found in the first week I'm more clear headed, less bloated and have way more energy, so far so good, and have lost a bonus kilo.

I'm still figuring it out as I go, if you want a buddy along the way, add me if you like :)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I suggest you check out the following main low carber daily group forum here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

There are some members of this group who are vegetarian and even a few vegans if I remember correctly.
  • boditalk
    Options
    Thanks so much
  • boditalk
    Options
    Looks like I have to be approved fingers crossed
  • boditalk
    Options
    Em Burney, trying to learn how to reply directly to you but meds for insulin resistance and after much research there seems to be many many keto vegans out there as well as cookbooks. So I'm guessing as people told me veganism would be too hard and extreme, and it wasnt, I guess I'll see for keto myself. You're right though, maybe I don't have to go as low as keto levels. I hadn't considered that. Thanks for thst suggestion.
  • boditalk
    Options
    Sabine, not sure what meds I wouldn't even let them write a prescription. I just said let me see whatnot can do on my own. I've seen others on meds and side effects wasn't worth it. But my main issue is carry weight in my mid section and no matter what I've done in the past that worked it no longer works and I've made tweaks, I can't lose it. It's been about 6 to 9 months. I'm over it and frustrated. Someone suggested keto vegan so I've been researching and figured I'd give it a try. I have some goals attached to it as well.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Look at getting shirataki noodles! They have vegan friendly ones, they're very low carb and they are pretty tasty and filling.
    Invest in a good protein shake, there are heaps of great vegan options online. I like to have mine with almond or coconut milk =) and a few berries.
    Coconut Oil is amazing! It also adds flavor to meals =D
    Avocados! They're full of good fats and they're filling.

http://www.ketosisirl.com/vegan-ketogenic-diet/
    http://meshell.ca/blog/vegan-keto-resources/vegan-keto-shopping-list-food-to-have-in-your-pantry/
    https://dietingwell.com/vegetarian-keto-diet/ This will give you some ideas, just swap out the milk and eggs.

Hope that helps =)

• RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm curious as to why you think keto is a good option for you? A healthy vegan diet high in unrefined carbs from whole foods will help with insulin levels.
  • boditalk
    Options
    I wrote a response the other day but I don't see it here, did you all see it???
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I am lower carb/higher fat + IF. I am typically an omnivore. My youngest has quickly gone from vegetarian to vegan. She is challenging me to do same. Although I am not luddite when it comes to food combining to get protein etc, (ex. legumes+grains), but keto kinds goes against the grains :( so I need to stalk other keto vegans for ideas to maintain protein macros.

I was a vegetarian and whole foods/cook from scratch in college, for economic reasons, so I have basic skills.

Today, the meat & poultry & eggs I eat is typically 3-6oz/day and is grass fed, free range, and much is locally raised on true family farms. I favor raw milk cheeses and our milk comes minimally pasturized not homogenized delivered in glass bottles from local family farm that grows their hay for their cows. Yet, hose years of being a vegetarian is with me still -happily- in the central place veggies, tubers, legumes, nuts, and seeds have in my diet. I did have to drastically thin-out the whole grains to be a weekly instead of a daily food, and my health is better for it.

The new skills I seek are not to lean on vegan "cheese" or vegan "eggs" and definitely not protein powder, as these things do not conform to my whole food values. I seek to eat happily without dairy, flesh, or eggs. My ultimate aim is to be able meet my macros when I am having vegan days, which I currently intend to incorporate 3-4dy/wk.
  • susiebower
    susiebower Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you combine Intermittent Fasting to your meal plan, you won't have to take your carb intake as low as typical Keto and you should have great success with your insulin.

The sad part is, most doctors only have 4-12 hours of nutrition training and they definitely don't discuss special nutrition needs like vegan or nutritional Ketosis. If you have any more questions let me know. I have been doing IF for almost 8 years now, practice a lower carb higher fat nutrition plan and am also transitioning to more plant based.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Soy and vegetable protein powder for your protein. Rest is easy for vegans.. low carb and high fat.