Beat the heat......how you say........

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
With Gazpacho! my new favorite, a summer soup that will chill you to the core, and the best part of it is it's super duper healthy!!! It's not to hard to make either, you can make a big batch and get all your veggies for the day. Yum! I recommend sitting outside on a hot day to eat it.

Just a side note, gazpacho is forgiving so if you don't feel like peeling the skin from the tomatoes, or roasting the peppers, no worries it will taste just as good!

Serves 8

Ingredients:

about 8 cups home-grown or other flavorful tomatoes
2 small crisp cucumbers, peeled and diced
1 roasted red pepper
1 1/2 cups red onion, diced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup vidalia or other sweet onion, diced
1 roasted yellow pepper
juice of 1 lime
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 head garlic, roasted and minced
1 jalapeno

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce

2 medium sized avocados, diced (optional)

Add ingredients(minus avocados) to a food processor, process to your desired chunkiness. Chill at least an hour before serving. Cut up avocados right before serving soup and add to soup.

Replies

• JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish!! I must try this soon!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I just can't get my head around the idea of cold soup! I eat cold leftovers all the time, but the soup thing throws me. I should try this one, though.. too hot to cook!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Sounds fabulous. . Thank you for sharing.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I just can't get my head around the idea of cold soup! I eat cold leftovers all the time, but the soup thing throws me. I should try this one, though.. too hot to cook!

I agree. If this was hot, I would probably like it. Cold soup just sounds all wrong. At least you and many others can enjoy your recipe!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options

I agree. If this was hot, I would probably like it. Cold soup just sounds all wrong. At least you and many others can enjoy your recipe!

actually it would be disgusting hot, the ingredients are too fresh it would be like heating up salsa. but sit outside when it's 100 degrees out and I bet you wouldn't mind trying it.
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Sounds so good! I too was hesitant about the idea of cold soup at first, but then my friend's mother who is from Spain made me some and it was really delicious!! Can't wait to make some of my own :)