Iron & Calcium

Options
At the end of my week my Iron & Calcium are under recommended dose. Can anyone help with What is high in Iron & Calcium?

With iron, I know pumpkin and all bran is high in iron along with the common items like meats etc, however I find that to eat the amounts required exceeds my calorie allowance! I would like to not take supplements.

With Calcium it's the same, to consume recommended dose exceeds my calorie allowance! I have cottage cheese, yoghurt, milk, rice milk, almonds etc

Help!

PS my diary is open, I am trialing a few ideas, more meals, etc... and later today I plan to plan my next week, with more interesting ideas, ahead of time as my life (like most) is extremely busy.
Is there anyone with an open diary that is losing weight, eating healthy, clean and balanced that I can look over their entries? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    How did you decide on a 1000 calorie goal? Are you working out? I think with your current calorie goal it will be very hard to get the nutrients you need without supplements.

I have lost 23 pounds eating fairly clean but I still take a muti vitamin with iron and sometimes a calcium chew.

If you are post menopausal I wouldn't worry too much about the iron.
  • seriousaboutlife
    seriousaboutlife Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I agree...1000 calories? That seems a bit extreme!
  • Valechka
    Valechka Posts: 192
    Options
    My potassium is low too... Calcium is Ok if drink almond milk (unsweeted) . Iron low too. I eat to eat spinach, seaweed, tomatoes , broccoli , all good for Cal and Potassium, but I always over my sugars. and I eat desert very rarely. I am taking vitamins when I dont forget. Still dont like meat much, so Iron is always low. don't even know .... took iron supp while I was a vegetarian for 2 years
  • mdias23
    mdias23 Posts: 15
    Options
    you need to be eating at least 1200 calories... 1000 is way too low! you'll put your metabolism into starvation mode and you'll plateau.
  • liza001
    liza001 Posts: 77
    Options
    :drinker: Thanks for the replies.... To answer the above replies....

My cals is set for 1000 because I often go over, so it's best to go over 1000 to say 1160 than go over 1200 to 1360... :laugh: I'm only 5"2 I would like to lose 1kg per week to reach my goal by end of September for my daughter's Wedding....

At 1200cals I only lost 0.5 kg per week. You have to have a defacit of 7000cals a week to lose 1kg a week. I am very conscience of being healthy... And will research my questions today, just hoping someone of the masses here on the thread would know......

Is there anyone successfully losing 1kg (2lbs) a week eating healthy and clean that can answer this question on Calcium, Iron & Potassium? Let's say I'm consuming 1200cals how would I achieve the daily recommended dose?

I'm under also in potassium too ... (help with this too)

Yes I do workout, posted this question then went for a 6klm jog came back to see the response... Will do a big weight training session this afternoon too. Sundays are "SSS" days "Super Session Sunday's"

With starvation came across this interesting article... Which surprised me as until I read it, I said the same thing... :blushing:

http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I chew two Tums a day to get my calcium in, per my Doctor. 2 tablets = 10 calories, 2 gm sugar, 600 mg calcium, 2 mg Mg+.
  • liza001
    Options
    I chew two Tums a day to get my calcium in, per my Doctor. 2 tablets = 10 calories, 2 gm sugar, 600 mg calcium, 2 mg Mg+.

I'm a Aussie, I don't know what that is? I'm learning all the USA foods as I'm constantly researching and I'm led to those sites...:smile:
  • liza001
    Options
    Ok this is what I have found... World's healthiest Foods by George Mateljan.. Looked over the net and he kept popping up :laugh: I bought his book a year or so ago, and I keep going back to it.. I give it 11/10 :drinker:

My main interest with this, is reducing hunger... If I am eating all the required nutrients then hunger should reduce, I suspect, hope.

When I really got serious in February, I noticed a difference of not being dizzy at meal times anymore. I have friends that go all day without eating and then at the end of the day say maybe they should eat something! I would like to know that feeling, even though I would not, not eat, I would like to not have the nagging hunger feeling that I overcomes me :sick:

George does promote eating meats yet on his top list of iron, meats were not mentioned... Interesting!

Here is the conclusion:-

Spinach 1cup/41cals/35.7%DI Iron/24.5%DI Calcium/24%DI Potassium
    Turmeric 2tsp/16cals/10.4%DI Iron/3.3%DI Potassium
    Swiss Chard 1cup/35cals/22%DI 
    Basil 2tsp/8cals/7.1%DI Iron 6.3%DI Calcium/2.9%DI Potassium
    Cinnamon 2tsp/12cals/9.6%DI Iron 5.6%DI Calcium
    Romaine Lettuce 2cups/16cals/6.8%DI Iron 4%DI Calcium/9.3%DI Potassium
    Tofu 4oz/86cals/33.8%DI Iron 10%DI Calcium
    Shiitake Mushrooms 8oz/87cals/19.9%DI
    Shrimp 4oz/112cals/19.4%DI
    Green Beans 1cup/44cals/8.9%DI Iron 5.8%DI Calcium/10.7%DI Potassium
    Broccoli 1cup/44cals/7.6%DI Iron 7.5%DI Calciu/m14.4%DI Potassium
    Asparagus 1cup/43cals/7.3%DI Iron 3.6%DI Calcium/8.2%DI Potassium
    Kale 1cup/36cals/6.5%DI Iron 9.4%DI Calcium/8.5%DI Potassium
    Celery 1cup/19cals/2.7%DI Iron 4.8%DI Calcium/9.8%DI Potassium
    Cabbage 1cup/22cals/2.9%DI Iron 7.4%DI Calcium
    Parsley 2tbs/3cals/2.6%DI
    Dairy (we all know) did we know that yoghurt was the best by weight and daily value 
    Yoghurt 1cup/155/44.7%DI Calcium 
    Oranges 1sm/62cals/5.2%DI Calcium
    Crimini Mushrooms 5oz/31cals/2.6%DI Calcium/18.1%DI Potassium
    Spinach 1cup/41cals/24%DI Potassium
    Winter Squash 80cals/25.6%DI Potassium
    Tomatoes 1cup/38cals/11.4%DI Potassium
    Collard Greens  49cals/14.1%DI Potassium
    Summer Squash  36cals/10%DI Potassium
    Cantaloupe 1cup/56cals/14.1%DI Potassium
    Carrots 1cup/53cals/11.3%DI Potassium
    Beets 1cup/75cals/14.8%DI Potassium
    Papaya 1/119/22.3%DI Potassium
    Cucumbers 1cup/14cals/4.3%DI Potassium
    Bell pepper 1cup/25cals/4.7%DI Potassium

Now to work on next weeks meals....
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    Eat 3/4 cup of Total cereal. You will get 100% calcium and Iron every day.

:flowerforyou:
  • liza001
    Options
    Thanks :flowerforyou: for your input, we don't have that cereal in Australia and the ones we have is the same as taking a supplement... I'm trying to achieve a weight loss through eating clean and nourished ... :heart: