Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How to determine calories in meat that has a bone in it

zestyzaftig
zestyzaftig Posts: 103 Member
I feel incredibly dumb asking this question since I'm such a raging foodie.

So, let's say I have a chicken thigh. I weigh it after I'm done roasting it. Then I eat the meat. Should I weigh the bone when I'm done and subtract it from the original weight to get my total ounces/grams to calculate the calories?

...or does the nutritional info for bone-in meats take into account the weight of the bone?

Replies

• christinechipchase
    christinechipchase Posts: 76 Member
    Am interested to, I love chicken thighs xx
  • zestyzaftig
    zestyzaftig Posts: 103 Member
    Plus hubby and I split a T-bone steak last night, which brought up the issue yet again. Sigh.
  • sarahx_17
    sarahx_17 Posts: 8 Member
    The meat I buy has the caloric values listed for 100g of edible product. Caloric information I have seen on the Internet etc is practically identical, so I think that the first calculation you suggested sounds appropriate :)
  • christinechipchase
    christinechipchase Posts: 76 Member
    On the packet I get it says 218 g is 271 calories ( with skin that is, I roast mine and have the skin really crispy) The one I did weigh with the bone in was 218g so it is right but what would happen if i cut the meat off the bone and just cooked that, i know it would be less calories. So confusing xx
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    I guesstimate the weight of the bone, but always make the value a bit lower. If you're trying to lose weight then the aim is to consume less calories. You might be cheating yourself out of say 50 calories, but it will help you reach your goal just that tiny bit quicker.
  • karenski13
    karenski13 Posts: 2 Member
    I know this discussion thread is old but if I understand it right, if I take my home raised beef ..in this case a t bone Steak weigh it and then weigh bone after eating and subtract that is the amount I use as my serving.
  • Stormie956
    Stormie956 Posts: 14 Member
    Yep, that's exactly what I do.
    Weigh it with the bone then after eating weigh the bone.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    I try not to overthink it - I weigh raw, find the right entry for raw, and don't worry about it after that. Bones don't weigh that much, and any discrepancy is a bonus deficit that helps offset typical errors in logging.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Use the entry for cooked meat and weigh what's leftover and subtract.

For a breast I just pull the meat off before I weigh it (at least if it's not a dinner party).
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    I weigh the portion, eat it, then weigh the bones/fat/whatever else I didn't eat and subtract.

We had bone-in pork chops the other night and this worked out great. 8oz before, 2.5oz of bone and fat I didn't eat, so 5.5oz consumed. Works for me!
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    I weigh it cooked, after cutting the meat from the bone, before I eat it.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2017
    lalepepper wrote: »
    I try not to overthink it - I weigh raw, find the right entry for raw, and don't worry about it after that. Bones don't weigh that much, and any discrepancy is a bonus deficit that helps offset typical errors in logging.

Keep in mind that bones can be a significant portion of a product's weight. In many cases, as much as 25% to 30% of the total (which, in the case of an 10 oz bone-in steak, can be the equivalent of roughly 200 calories of meat).

Your approach is very conservative but it may be overly so, especially if you're trying to work with a relatively low calorie target.