Better Fast Food Choice - Subway

Options

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I think Subway's bread is pretty gross. Whenever I have to eat there, I get a salad with roast beef (no cheese, no dressing) and have either soup or chips to go with it.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I get the spicy Italian woth no cheese and lite mayo for under 500 calories. Load it with veggies and a ag of baked Lays. Great dinner.
  • Pepsab
    Pepsab Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I know in my town on the serviettes they have all the nutrition info. The low fat subs are chicken teriyaki and turkey on wheat bread only. Low fat sauce is only the sweet onion. Best bet is the salad. You can ask for as much veges as you want :wink:
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    You don't gave to be a vegetarian to order a vegetarian sandwich. Its an option.

Was just gonna say the same. The 12 veggie Delite on whole grain flatbread with no cheese and just mustard is a little under 600. Yes, 12"
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    The most extreme way to cut calories from any sub is to get it as a chopped salad. It deducts 170 calories from the 6 inch calories listed. I get the seafood sensation as a salad every day and it ends up being around 240 calories and SUPER filling. Double chicken chopped salads are also excellent, and have a good amount of protein. They usually end up at around 300 calories with honey mustard sauce. The salad counts can be even lower if you get it made with the turkey or ham.

I can't see any seafood sensation listed on the online menu
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    An easy way to cut the calories is to skip the sauce.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »
    The most extreme way to cut calories from any sub is to get it as a chopped salad. It deducts 170 calories from the 6 inch calories listed. I get the seafood sensation as a salad every day and it ends up being around 240 calories and SUPER filling. Double chicken chopped salads are also excellent, and have a good amount of protein. They usually end up at around 300 calories with honey mustard sauce. The salad counts can be even lower if you get it made with the turkey or ham.

I can't see any seafood sensation listed on the online menu

Seafood sensation is a local favorite here our franchise circuit. It varies by region. The six inch sub (no cheese) is 420 calories according to our newly issued in store nutrition facts. Getting only the meat contains 190 calories for 2 level scoops, via measured ice cream scooper designated at the restaurant for that item.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    One thing that is great about Subway is the consistency of the amount of meat, veggies etc used for each meal. No worrying about calorie counts being off b/c someone was too heavy handed when preparing the food.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,715 Member
    Options
    You can get any sub made as a salad instead. That's what I do. Not everybody feels this way, but I find it more filling/satisfying - they give you quite the heap of lettuce & spinach, not just the amount of those that would be on the sub.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Your subways have spinach?
    I'm getting more envious the more I know about it.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

We go through almost as much spinach as we do lettuce. I'm jealous of subways that offer spring mix and grated carrot. And avocado. We had it a few years ago but not lately!
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My favorite Subway sandwich isn't on most menus any more but they should be able to still make it. Monterey chicken melt - chicken strips, cheddar/monterey cheese blend and bacon, on wheat w/spinach, pickles, peppers, and olives, no dressing. Somewhere around 900 calories for a footlong.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,715 Member
    Options

We go through almost as much spinach as we do lettuce. I'm jealous of subways that offer spring mix and grated carrot. And avocado. We had it a few years ago but not lately!

One glorious season, there was even guacamole. So good on the salad.

Sometimes when I'm out running errands and get peckish, I get one of these babies in the "veggie delite" formulation, with vinegar, salt, pepper, and oregano. It's a giant serving of tide-me-over for very manageable calories.
  • lrac99999
    lrac99999 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oven roasted chicken is my favorite on wheat bread or ham and turkey. I really liked the carved turkey before they took it off the menu. Hope they bring it back at thanksgiving.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »
    One thing that is great about Subway is the consistency of the amount of meat, veggies etc used for each meal. No worrying about calorie counts being off b/c someone was too heavy handed when preparing the food.

I worked there a while back and I wouldn't trust the calorie counts on anything that is prepped in the back with sauce, mayo or seasoning. We never followed the "recipe" for those and would often use oil to make the seasoning stick to the meat. It wasn't a lot, but it goes to show that stores can differ on what methods they use. Both the tuna and the seafood sensation are made with full fat mayo and I'm sure we used quite a bit more than called for.

But the other stuff is probably fine since everything comes in a packet and is pre-sliced/prepared.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I find all of their subs are super high in sodium.

But when I go, my order is roughly 400 calories (like 430-450?)

6" steak & whole egg on flatbread with spinach, lettuce, banana peppers, onion, cucumber, and brown mustard. I usually don't get cheese.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    An easy way to cut the calories is to skip the sauce.

definitely...I went from chipotle sauce to brown mustard and saved more calories than I expected.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I think Subway's bread is pretty gross. Whenever I have to eat there, I get a salad with roast beef (no cheese, no dressing) and have either soup or chips to go with it.

I really hate most of their bread and I think it smells like vomit in the restaurants. But I do like the flatbread.