Keto, PCOS and over 100lbs to lose

Options
Hello everyone! I'm starting keto for the first time and I'm really excited. I have over 100lbs to lose and I know it will be a long journey. I also have PCOS and I have learned the keto could reverse PCOS. It would be wonderful if anyone has any tips for me starting my journey or if you like me and have a ways to go please feel free to add me! Support would be awesome.

Replies

• getmeowthofhere
    getmeowthofhere Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have pcos as well, but haven't dedicated to doing keto. I do keep my carb intake at about 150-180g a day and sugar at 40-60g a day. I'm getting results that way and not feeling the symptoms. I imagine keto will probably help you see results. Good luck!
  • Geraint1980
    Geraint1980 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've started working towards a keto diet last month. Always struggled in the past, doing alot better this time. I started by cutting sugars..... that was the hardest bit. Relatively easy now. Zero carb cravings. Just took my time with it.
  • curliegirlie
    curliegirlie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey girl!!!! I've been doing keto since 7/31/17. I too, have hormonal issues and need to loose about 150lbs (to be a healthy weight) I've tried to do keto probably 5 times and I never stuck it out. The very best info I could ever give you is to NOT cheat. The "cheat" setback is far worse than you can imagine. In 18 days I've lost 12 pounds. I've never once felt the "keto flu" or even bad in general. I have more energy, I don't feel so sluggish and I'm not constantly thinking about food. It keeps you full for longer and I honestly don't even feel like I'm on a diet. The food is so good. Who doesn't want bacon and cheese all the time?
  • jasminesparks1991
    jasminesparks1991 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes I totally agree with everyone it is hard to start keto. But I'm excited and I plan on putting some updates on this post later along. I wish you all the best on your weight loss journey! I know we can do it!
  • Presleykay22
    Presleykay22 Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me I just recently got diagnosed with PCOS and have was told to do the keto diet so I'm new to this as well and struggling
  • ladyrn84
    ladyrn84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I also have PCOS and over 100lbs to lose. I started doing keto in 2010 before I started my fertility treatments. After I lost my triplets I started keto again in 2012 and I lost 40lbs. I tried to go off metformin because it always gave me GI problems but I felt like I wasn't losing. Maybe it was just a plateau but I got discouraged and stopped but I did make some permanent changes. I gained all the weight back plus extra. Over the years my weight has fluctuated so much as I've done keto on and off & I was on metformin on and off and My PCOS symptoms have worsened over the years dispite the permanent changes. I finally decided to have the gastric sleeve June 2017 and I just started back on keto. My advice is stick with it! Each time I restarted it was more and more difficult to lose. Remember that your body is smart and figures out what you're doing so change up your routine if you hit stalls. Good luck! I never added any friends on here so you can add me if you want!
  • LiveToBloom
    LiveToBloom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have pcos and I am starting keto on Monday. I have had great results with paleo 4 years ago, the only issue is im not a big fan of meat. I have been following Dr.Berg on YouTube, and I can relate to adrenal body type to the letter. He does not recommend a lot of protein (3-6 oz). I am somewhat lost on what to eat. My plan is to have a green smoothly in the morning, and then 3oz salmon and a huge salad for supper. I forgot to mention, I'm going to b doing intermittent fasting as well. I am so excited to have found this thread , and to see that so many women r in the same boat as myself.
  • jasminesparks1991
    jasminesparks1991 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm glad to have people with PCOSon here to know the stuggle. The first time I was put on metformin I lost 70lbs but that was when I was 15 and had no car and it was the beginning of summer so me and my friends would walk everywhere everyday. After that I started slowly gaining the weight back and some. Then I stayed the same weight up until last year where all of a sudden I gained even more weight (65lbs) no eating habits changed or anything. So I read up on keto and saw that it can reverse PCOS. I am married have been for 3 years and haven't been able to get pregnant yet. So I am very determined to get this keto going. I have thought about gastric bypass but can't afford it right now. My first weigh in will be this Thursday so I'll make sure I come back to this post and let y'all know how it's going!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I suggest you check out the following main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out (and yes, there are many in this groups who also have PCOS):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group