Losing weight on meds

Options
About three weeks ago I decided I was going to change my habits for real. I have been exercising hard, eating quite healthy and sticking to my calorie goals. I decided not to weigh myself for a while but this morning gave in. I have not lost a SINGLE OUNCE.

I have lost weight before like this a few years ago, before I was on meds for my bipolar disorder. I had no problems dropping pounds while dieting this way back then. I can't help but think the medications are part of the problem.

What do I do? If I get any more strict/lower my calories anymore, I will be miserable. The frustrating thing is, I maintained this weight for a year eating whatever *kitten* I wanted, but now that I'm trying to be healthy it won't budge. Makes me just not even want to try.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Where are you in your menstrual cycle? I gain at ovulation and right before my TOM. Because of this (and because Lyle McDonald said to) I compare myself to last month, not last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6846ZTBu08k&index=4&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr

Also, if you just started exercising, you could be retaining water from that, which will mask fat loss. My own scale went UP 7 pounds when I started lifting weights again. Took a few weeks to come off.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Re the meds, my brother takes mood stabilizers and antipsychotics known to cause an increase in appetite. When he was in a hospital setting, he gained weight while eating hospital food and not getting much exercise. Now that he is home, eating Mom's cooking, helping her with extensive yard work, and walking several miles per day, he lost all the weight he gained in the hospital and has maintained a healthy weight for over two years.

He doesn't count calories. He does eat lots of whole foods - fruits, veggies, legumes, whole grains, etc. He was a pescastarian for about a year and now is eating chicken as well. There's very little, if any, junk food in the house.
  • esless004
    esless004 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Re the meds, my brother takes mood stabilizers and antipsychotics known to cause an increase in appetite. When he was in a hospital setting, he gained weight while eating hospital food and not getting much exercise. Now that he is home, eating Mom's cooking, helping her with extensive yard work, and walking several miles per day, he lost all the weight he gained in the hospital and has maintained a healthy weight for over two years.

He doesn't count calories. He does eat lots of whole foods - fruits, veggies, legumes, whole grains, etc. He was a pescastarian for about a year and now is eating chicken as well. There's very little, if any, junk food in the house.

I too take a mood stabilizer + antipsychotic. I've been eating 1500-2000 calories which has been successful for me at this activity level in the past. I'm eating almost all Whole Foods with the exception of protein bars. I'm glad it worked for him but I don't know what else to do!
  • esless004
    Options
    Where are you in your menstrual cycle? I gain at ovulation and right before my TOM. Because of this (and because Lyle McDonald said to) I compare myself to last month, not last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6846ZTBu08k&index=4&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr

Also, if you just started exercising, you could be retaining water from that, which will mask fat loss. My own scale went UP 7 pounds when I started lifting weights again. Took a few weeks to come off.

That's interesting that you mentioned weight gain from lifting. I did just start lifting and strength training again although my overall volume of activity hasn't changed.

I'm technically at week 2 right now, but I don't know if it applies to me since I take continuous birth control for my PMDD.
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am on an ssri and atypical antipsychotic (abilify) and my weight loss has been reaaaallllyyyyy slow going.

Honestly, I think mental health is more important, but it's hard.
  • kshama2001
    edited August 2017
    Options
    esless004 wrote: »

That's interesting that you mentioned weight gain from lifting. I did just start lifting and strength training again although my overall volume of activity hasn't changed.

I'm technically at week 2 right now, but I don't know if it applies to me since I take continuous birth control for my PMDD.

When I started, I liked to weigh myself everyday and look at the trends in the chart. Helped me to not freak out over normal fluctuations. The big spike in late October is when I started lifting. Be patient :)

s7wsf3nwtd9c.png
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    i have BPD and was on seroquel. i gained SO MUCH WEIGHT, probably 40 lbs + and that was with exercise and eating healthy/low-cal. i was on 400mg of sero. i was able to drop to 25 mg of sero + get on brintellix and i have now lost over 30 lbs. i don't care what other people say, sometimes meds DO cause weight gain and difficulty losing even if you do everything right.

**ETA - i am dr supervised with dropping my dose. i don't suggest doing that on your own.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Another BPD suffered here myself. Currently I'm only on an SSRI because I hated stabilizers. Artist + zombifying meds = not a very happy camper.

Anyways. I apologize if I missed this, but have you used a food scale to measure your intake? Measuring cups and spoons should be reserved for liquid only due to their inaccuracies. Weighing even prepackaged foods is important, like the protein bars, because they can be off by 20% legally (I have yet for one of my protein bars to actually weigh the serving size, 40g. Usually they're 46-49g, which adds 50ish calories, so now my 190 calorie bar is actually 240cals). If you do this without knowing multiple times a day, a calorie deficit can very very easily be wiped out.

Secondly, although meds do not cause direct fat gain, they can change a portion of the CICO equation. Such as increased appetite or decreased movement, or even water retention. There are studies out there that also say that they can change where fat distribution is, but beyond that, it's a matter of finding your CICO balance again. I would really try to play with your macros some more to see what keeps you full, especially when you say you have a hard time dropping lower as is.
  • esless004
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Another BPD suffered here myself. Currently I'm only on an SSRI because I hated stabilizers. Artist + zombifying meds = not a very happy camper.

Anyways. I apologize if I missed this, but have you used a food scale to measure your intake? Measuring cups and spoons should be reserved for liquid only due to their inaccuracies. Weighing even prepackaged foods is important, like the protein bars, because they can be off by 20% legally (I have yet for one of my protein bars to actually weigh the serving size, 40g. Usually they're 46-49g, which adds 50ish calories, so now my 190 calorie bar is actually 240cals). If you do this without knowing multiple times a day, a calorie deficit can very very easily be wiped out.

Secondly, although meds do not cause direct fat gain, they can change a portion of the CICO equation. Such as increased appetite or decreased movement, or even water retention. There are studies out there that also say that they can change where fat distribution is, but beyond that, it's a matter of finding your CICO balance again. I would really try to play with your macros some more to see what keeps you full, especially when you say you have a hard time dropping lower as is.

That's a really smart idea! I have used food scales in the past but usually lack the discipline to use them all the time. I will give it a shot though.

That's interesting, I have heard a lot of varying things about what causes weight gain. I know some meds I tried (for example seroquel) made me ravenous and crave sugar. But I also wonder if lithium is affecting my thyroid. It was within the normal range when I had it checked in Feb, but had changed a significant amount from my first labs before I started it last summer.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of thoughts. I don't know if this is any help but my husband is Bipolar. He has gained weight because he's no longer manic and therefore not running around as much. You may not even be aware of it but you may be less active. He sleeps alot more which of course burns less calories. The other thought I had was you said in the past... how long ago? For me I'm 5'5" and 60 years old and my maintenance calorie level is only 1550. When I was 35 I could eat more calories. Have you recalculated your calorie level in MFP? As we get older we require less calories. I put in sedentary and then use my exercise calories as I earn them (with caution).
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

That's a really smart idea! I have used food scales in the past but usually lack the discipline to use them all the time. I will give it a shot though.

That's interesting, I have heard a lot of varying things about what causes weight gain. I know some meds I tried (for example seroquel) made me ravenous and crave sugar. But I also wonder if lithium is affecting my thyroid. It was within the normal range when I had it checked in Feb, but had changed a significant amount from my first labs before I started it last summer.

A food scale is hands down the best tool you can ever have for losing weight. They are cheap, as mentioned above, Walmart for around 20 bucks or Amazon, but make sure to get one that displays grams and has a tare function.

I found it hard at first to stick with it, but once I saw how inaccurate my "accurate" logging was due to no fault of my own beyond trusting labels, it now is just second nature. Even in maintenance and trying to lose a bit of vanity pounds, I use it.

If that is something you are concerned with, I would definitely get checked by a doc to rule it out. Personally, I had a male friend that was on lithium and could not gain weight because he was never hungry. But I would give the food scale a try for a few weeks. It's a true eye opener.

ETA: edited for like twenty typos. Typing on the phone with band aids on your thumbs is a challenge in itself.
  • esless004
    Options
    I have a couple of thoughts. I don't know if this is any help but my husband is Bipolar. He has gained weight because he's no longer manic and therefore not running around as much. You may not even be aware of it but you may be less active. He sleeps alot more which of course burns less calories. The other thought I had was you said in the past... how long ago? For me I'm 5'5" and 60 years old and my maintenance calorie level is only 1550. When I was 35 I could eat more calories. Have you recalculated your calorie level in MFP? As we get older we require less calories. I put in sedentary and then use my exercise calories as I earn them (with caution).

I'm sure I am less active than I was in college... So that's a fair point. But I do wear a fitbit and my calorie burn is still 2400+ every day. I am in my 20s so fortunately not dealing with a decline in metabolism etc yet :)
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    The other thought I had was you said in the past... how long ago? For me I'm 5'5" and 60 years old and my maintenance calorie level is only 1550. When I was 35 I could eat more calories. Have you recalculated your calorie level in MFP? As we get older we require less calories. I put in sedentary and then use my exercise calories as I earn them (with caution).

I'm sure I am less active than I was in college... So that's a fair point. But I do wear a fitbit and my calorie burn is still 2400+ every day. I am in my 20s so fortunately not dealing with a decline in metabolism etc yet :)

I'm so jealous! Even 1800 calories would be awesome, lol. Wasn't sure what your age is so you are totally right you still have that wonderful metabolism.

• 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options

A food scale is hands down the best tool you can ever have for losing weight. They are cheap, as mention above, Walmart for around 20 bucks or Amazon, but make sure to get one that displays grams and has a rare function.

I found it hard at first to stick with it, but once I saw how inaccurate my "accurate" logging was due to no fault of my own beyond trusting labels, it now is just second nature.

^^this^^
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I take a mood stabilizer (appetite neutral) and and anti-psychotic which is known for increasing appetite. I haven't had any issues losing. In fact, having my moods stabilized has given me the positive outlook I need to do what I need to do tracking and exercising.

I am currently 60 years old, post menopausal, 5'7", 234lb. and am losing 1.75 lb per week on an average of 1800 per day.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar as well and am on Geodon (AAP) and Prozac. The Geodon is supposedly weight neutral according to my doctor, but I will absolutely eat everything in the pantry if I'm not tracking. I've lost 60 pounds on these meds, so it is absolutely doable. I'm putting up another vote for the food scale. It is the most accurate way to log. You may want to look into weight trend apps as well. I use the Trendweight website and weigh daily. It is pretty annoying when I weigh weekly or monthly and appear to lose nothing because of some water weight fluctuation. With the trend apps you can see what your weight is really doing without all the noise.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    You mentioned weight lifting. Just like fat loss when you first start eating right and exercizing, muscle increase is similar. The first few weeks or even month you're going to have incredible gains/losses (muscle/fat), then you taper off to a normal rate.

As long as you're eating properly (staying calorie deficient while making sure your getting your nutrients) and exercizing, you will lose fat. Be patient, it doesn't happen over night or even in a month. I've lost a significant amount of weight, but it's taken me more than 2 years!!! Some months I wouldn't lose anything, then the next I drop 10lbs (muscle gains, water retention, menstral cycle...yeah they all skew short term results).

I find that a measuring tape is more accurate than a scale, especially around the waist. 1. It is insanly difficult to gain inches on the waist due to muscle (some bodybuilders do - but that's for other reasons, if you're extremely thin you will gain a few inches at most) 2. It will show what you are really losing regardless of what the scale says. If you lose an inch on your waist, but your weight stays the same - you know your losing fat, it's just at the same rate you're gaining muscle.
  • TMcNeil82
    TMcNeil82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm on Epilim (sodium valproate) and Lithium for BP. I found since starting the Epilim I started gaining lots of weight (14kg in over a year). The pdoc says the meds are weight neutral, however they increase appetite (hence the weight gain!). Maybe that's a side effect of yours?

In the last few weeks I have cut out all soft drink (only water, soda water with juice or cordial or fruit, or some fruit juice). I have also cut out all chocolate (unless a drizzle on a nut bar) and cut out alcohol (a few cheat nights of a glass though). In 3 weeks I lost 2kg!

I am now being smarter with what I eat - either calorie controlled meals (frozen meals with calories labelled on them), almonds-apricots-sesame seeds-pine nuts-cranberry nut bites as snacks instead of other more junky snacks. Also higher protein and good fats makes me fuller for longer. I still allow myself my vanilla latte and toast in the morning when I arrive for work (as a reward for dragging myself to work lol).

Lets see where this keeps going...
  • Sparkle__
    Sparkle__ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this post because it put me at ease that it's possible to lose weight on medication.
    I'm currently on lamictal, olanzipine and lexapro.
    I rejoined MFP so I can track what I eat as I've noticed I've been eating more .
    Thank you for this post.