how did you decide on your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a goal weight. I chose to aim for a dress size/ measurement range.

Also I wanted to look and feel good and I switched to maintenance once I got there.
  • Javagal2778
    Javagal2778 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a picture of myself from when I felt so good about how I could fit in clothes. That number is my goal range. I didn't get there in a healthy way, though, so I have no idea how I will look as I now workout and I'm not sacrificing health for a number on the scale. I'm willing to stop higher if I feel and look good.
  • ClaireGleek
    ClaireGleek Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I picked a random number when I started of 10st(140lbs) because I never thought I'd actually get to that. I was 16st7lbs(231lbs) when I started, and as I had so much to lose I didn't want to be too ambitious. I am now 10st11lbs(151lbs) and have changed my goal weight to the very top of my BMI, and for my height (5"2) that will put me at 9st11lbs(137lbs), so I have another stone(14lbs) to lose and then will reassess how I look and feel from there to see if I want to lose anymore.
    You could use small goals and once you reach change it again and go from there, or do your big goal of top of your BMI and work from there. Whatever you feel comfortable with and won't cause you to lose hope. It's your journey and you should make goals that you can do.
    Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My lowest weight was about 4 years ago at 115 lbs. Some folks said I was too thin, but I liked the way my clothes fit and that my stomach was flat. Fast forward to 2017: 10 lbs slowly crept on. Then I had an injury and subsequent surgery which packed on 30+ more pounds. Anyway, rather than set my goal weight at my lowest weight 4 years ago, I set it 10 lbs more: 125. I consider it more sustainable and reasonable for my height and additionally probably healthier for my age (almost 68).
  • vonmarks
    vonmarks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was at 196lbs(M, 5'8) and picked 172 because that's the last weight I remembered being at and feeling comfortable. I got to 172 and within a week I was already at 168 so I made the new goal 155. Once I got to 155 I leveled off around 160 for awhile. Made a new goal of 145 but each time I get to 155 it seems my body wants to fight me and I start pounding the grub until I'm back at 160. I do about 2 hours a day of cardio/light weights and think that at 155 I'm just burning too much fuel for my body to not want to replace it. Maybe less exercise would actually help the cut because I wouldn't feel the need to refuel so heavy.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'm going with my favorite weight from before, but then when I get there I'll reassess my goals as I'm doing completely different fitness at this time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Never had one...arbitrary number is arbitrary...
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It's in a healthy BMI range, I wouldn't have to pay for WW anymore (free Lifetime member), doctors weren't lecturing me about it anymore, I can see a trace of muscle definition and abs, I like my dress size (4). Best of all I'm not killing myself to maintain it.
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    For me I wanted to get under 200 lbs - which I haven't been since Jr. High. That will be just over a hundred pound loss at that point. Normal (healthy?) BMI is about another 20 lbs lighter than that (I'm 5'11") - I'll re-evaluate once I get to 199.
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My goal for now is the top of my healthy bmi range, but I'll reassess when I get there. I'm extremely apple shaped, and unless my stomach fat starts disappearing twice as fast, my waist will still be more than half my height even when my bmi is under 25.

I've had a lot of mini goals. My first was 5% down (10 pounds at the time), then 10%, then to overweight bmi instead of obese. My next mini goal is 154, which is 10% above my goal weight.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I don't have a goal weight, but I defo have a goal look n' feel. Once I have those, then whatever the scale says I stay within a range of few pounds either way. Personally I think a goal weight adds a lot of stress to your life and is short sighted.

I know when I feel good, I also know when I look good. For me at least, the scale has absolutely nothing to do with either of those. Pictures, clothes, how I look naked and the mirror are my markers.

This is kind of where my head has been as of late. I get too wound up over the scale so I am trying to minimize my involvement with weighing. How I look and feel and how my clothes fit is taking precedence.
  • brrite
    brrite Posts: 21 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I used the military BMI chart for my age range. I know that BMI isn't really a good measure to go by, but it works for the military, and I was in the military for a very long time. So . . . I used it, started exercising and tracking my macros, and I've lost 70 pounds so far. I'm 8 pounds from my goal, and in better shape than I've been in since my twenties. I'm running a Spartan Beast next Saturday, in fact! Woot!
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Based on how I used to look at that weight. I'll re-evaluate when I get closer.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I started out aiming for 65 kg cos it used to be the weight I kind of mindlessly maintained at, and at 166cm is the high end of normal bmi. Then I decided to go for wedding weight which was 62. Then I wanted to see if I could get below 60 as I hadn't been below 60 my whole adult life. Then I got into running and wanted to get lighter so aimed for 55. Now my goal is 53. Marathons *shrug*
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I started with a goal body fat percentage (15%). From that I basically backed into what my weight should be for my height. Of course there's some adjustments to be done as you get closer; accounting for higher muscle density than the average person, increased water saturation due to drinking alot more water, etc. I am comfortable knowing that it is a healthy target versus a potentially unrealistic one that puts my health at risk.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I looked at the BMI table. And I took stock of the way my mind works.

If I'm 0.2 below a healthy BMI, I'll be happy. If I'm 0.2 above, I'll stress. (Same mindset that makes $9.99 affordable and $10.01 too much to pay.) And we know that weight can fluctuate within a few pounds depending on time of day, time of month, how long ago one ate or worked out, sodium ingested, etc.

And everyone says that the last 10 lbs take the longest.

And I've had a nasty habit of self-sabotage in the past. Right when I need to tighten up my logging and really focus (because with that little to lose, the calorie deficit is only 250), that's when my mind starts telling me to slack off. A little extra won't hurt. No need to weigh out that rice; I know what 100 grams looks like by now. I'll exercise tomorrow. And, bit by bit, the weight starts creeping back up, I get upset, give in to my old emotional eating habits and... I'm back in my old ways.

I want things to be different. And I really think that the tools and advice I've gotten from the site and the forums have helped me develop a healthier attitude toward food than I've had in the past. That doesn't mean it's healthy, yet, but it's getting there.

I set my goal at 10 lbs into the BMI range, because 1) my weight generally fluctuates within about 5 lbs, so even at its highest, I'll still be in the healthy range. 2) If I have it in my head that goal is 10 lbs away than it has to be, I think it'll help me not slack off, right when I should be clamping down. And maybe it'll be those 10lbs that are the hardest to lose, rather than the 10 standing between me and a normal BMI. If I get frustrated and decide to stay where I am and I'm 6 lbs away from goal... I'll still be a healthy weight.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Healthy BMI and size 6 but not a hard # on the scale. I am already smaller than I was at age 18 as I was never tiny so I think for me to try to get to a size 0 would be ludicrous.

10116386.png
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Top end of healthy BMI for my height minus 10 pounds for a little wiggle room because life.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I started with the number on my driver's license. Now, I that I'm competing in powerlifting, it's changed.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    honestly... I realized if i got much smaller id lose my boobs and become saggier lol. 130 is a nice rounded weight between the high and low end of a good BMI and i can totally rock whatever clothes i want. Didnt really see a point in getting much smaller so instead i focus on being healthy while getting to eat as much as possible and not being bloated :p