To drink or not to drink, that is the question

I'm just wondering whether or not to have a glass of wine tonight after work. I haven't had alcohol all week, and I have been saving calories this week to make up for it. On the pro side it's Friday night and I've lost 4.1 pounds this week. On the con side, I don't want to undo the good work I've done, but I don't want to be miserable either.
What would you do if you was me?

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Drink up! There's no need to deprive yourself.

Do you want it? Do you have the calories available for it? If you answer "yes" to both of these questions, then go for it.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Always.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    bottoms up! LETS START NOW!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If you've got the calories, go for it.

Just don't weigh yourself tomorrow!!
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    I'm always in favor of alcohol! :):)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,513 Member
    Fine line. Too much deprivation can run you into the ditch. Too much indulgence, you never get out of the ditch.
  • PinkPupper
    PinkPupper Posts: 47 Member
    1 serving should be ok; anything more isn't worth the extra cals as well as damage to one's body.
  • Chef_Barbell
    PinkPupper wrote: »
    1 serving should be ok; anything more isn't worth the extra cals as well as damage to one's body.

Nah.
  • PositiveChange2013
    PositiveChange2013 Posts: 25 Member
    If you have the calories to spare, one drink is not going to harm you. Oddly enough, I remember reading or hearing somewhere that men should limit themselves to no more than two drinks a day while women should limit themselves to no more than one drink a day. Still seems kind of excessive to me. So, one drink in a week's not going to derail you.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 951 Member
    I usually choose the path that will make me less miserable. Aim for moderation.
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    I agree with everyone above, and with @TavistockToad. I'm always up a bit after alcohol. Not sure why, but that's the pattern.
  • Bradley_J84
    Bradley_J84 Posts: 110 Member
    What a silly question... Of course drink
  • MrsDan1667
    MrsDan1667 Posts: 76 Member
    I think 5-6oz is about 150 cal? Don't quote me, look it up but definitely have a glass as long as you log it
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Angiep52 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering whether or not to have a glass of wine tonight after work. I haven't had alcohol all week, and I have been saving calories this week to make up for it. On the pro side it's Friday night and I've lost 4.1 pounds this week. On the con side, I don't want to undo the good work I've done, but I don't want to be miserable either.
    What would you do if you was me?

1) A single glass of wine is quite okay. (I see people on here having a bottle of wine, and I'm shocked)!!
    2) You've been saving calories for it, so look at your total Calories In and Calories Out for the week rather than today alone.
    3) Recommended maximum weight loss per week is 2 lbs. You've lost more than double, so you have space if the wine adds back a bit of retained water weight.
    4) Feeling miserable could cause you to go in to binge mode, so don't deprive yourself unnecessarily.

As to what I would do:- I regard the MFP program as a lifestyle change rather than a diet, so if a wine habit caused me trouble, I would gradually reduce the consumption until finally it won't seem like a vital part of my new life.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    edited August 2017
    She's asking. I'm answering a day late from my perspective, which is that of a non-drinker:

150 calories of horse piss or 150 calories of Blue Bell Strawberries and Homemade Vanilla. Hmm.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    If you have saved calories then drink it!
  • Chef_Barbell
    She's asking. I'm answering a day late from my perspective, which is that of a non-drinker:

150 calories of horse piss or 150 calories of Blue Bell Strawberries and Homemade Vanilla. Hmm.

Horse piss doesn't sound very appetizing. Especially 150 calories of it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member

Horse piss doesn't sound very appetizing. Especially 150 calories of it.

I once asked a high school classmate on a day when he was hungover and looked like what the old folks called "Death warmed over" why he did it. He replied, "I don't know. It tastes like horse piss."
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    A drink won't do any more damage to your goals than other calories. Log accurately and enjoy!
  • ilona212
    ilona212 Posts: 4 Member
    Looks like everyone is telling you to go for it if you have the calories to do it.
    I love wine, but sadly it messes up all my diet efforts and good intentions. So I'm going to say "if you can really have just one glass-really- then go for it!" If you are like me.... it'll be more than a glass and you will binge eat later. So I'm going to go without, personally.