Need support! Size 12, goal size 4. Want to cut out all sugar!

Options
Hey all. My plan is to cut all sugar, carbs, including alcohol, so I can go into ketosis. I have done a lot of research and feel like that's the only thing that will work. Anyone out there gone from size 10-12 to a size 4-6? I'm 5'10".

Replies

• kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I haven't joined a gym.. why is that important? I feel that gyms are not necessary especially for someone just starting out. I run/jog around my neighborhood and it gives me plenty of cardio I need. I do weights at home.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Tavisstock is correct. For weight loss, it's calorie deficit completely. For fitness, you need excersise. Most people have lost even without excersise, as long as they were in deficit.
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You may not need exercise but it helps tremendously, in many ways. I don't do keto I just minimized my sugar intake, I usually just have it in my coffee, and I never drank alcohol and I went from an 18 to a 7, 6 in some brands. Wish you great success and support it's not easy but it will be absolutely worth it.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    ilona212 wrote: »
    Hey all. My plan is to cut all sugar, carbs, including alcohol, so I can go into ketosis. I have done a lot of research and feel like that's the only thing that will work. Anyone out there gone from size 10-12 to a size 4-6? I'm 5'10".

I went from a size 12-14 to a 6 and ate plenty of fruit and vegetables, which all have sugar and carbs.

Calories matter for weight loss, not the type of food. Ketosis is not the only thing that works.
  • ramshackles
    ramshackles Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Size 4 UK sizes?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My friend went from. 12 to 6 , without being in ketosis for even 60 seconds
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    ilona212 wrote: »

I went from a size 14 to a size 4 (size 6 also depending on brand) in about 8 months. I just followed the calorie recommendation MFP gave me. I still ate chocolate and icecream, just in moderation.

Someone earlier said that you need strength training to lose fat. Not true. I lost A LOT of fat with very little exercise. I exercise regularly now because it makes me feel healthy and I like to eat a little bit more. I'm a little firmer now that I exercise, but I had no problem dropping many pounds of fat through diet alone.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    4 uk or 4 us. Vast difference.

I am confused why this matters. Isn't it all relative? I mean, if the OP started as a size 10-12 in UK and wanted to go to a 4-6 -- wouldn't we assume that was UK? Same if they started with a 10-12 in US and wanted to go to a 4-6 -- wouldn't we assume it was US?

Also - up to the OP what diet she would like to follow. However, I went from a 12-14 to a 6-8 and didn't cut out anything. I tracked calories and started working out more. I also eat chocolate chips on cashews almost every single night...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    4 uk or 4 us. Vast difference.

I am confused why this matters. Isn't it all relative? I mean, if the OP started as a size 10-12 in UK and wanted to go to a 4-6 -- wouldn't we assume that was UK? Same if they started with a 10-12 in US and wanted to go to a 4-6 -- wouldn't we assume it was US?

Also - up to the OP what diet she would like to follow. However, I went from a 12-14 to a 6-8 and didn't cut out anything. I tracked calories and started working out more. I also eat chocolate chips on cashews almost every single night...

I think it's the fact that a size 4-6 UK size at 5ft 10 would be pretty tiny, probably underweight.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Cutting out all sugar and carbs isn't really feasible. Maybe you mean cutting out PROCESSED sugar and carbs?
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Size 14 to start, size 6 now. Unless you want to do it for life, I don't recommend ketosis for weight loss. I have sugar and carbs and alcohol and I'm still a size 6, so clearly ketosis isn't the only thing that works...
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Not to mention, there's no guarantee you will be a certain size at whatever weight you aim for.
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I do both intermittent fasting and aim for keto. It's been a good solution for me, though not the only way I've progressed on my weight loss journey. I started at a size 16 US, and am now at an 8. I'm aiming for a size 4, though really for me it's about getting rid of my baby pouch and being able to be comfortable with my body in whatever I choose to wear. Also worth noting, I run between 15 and 35 miles on any given week. Good luck on your journey!
  • Pmagner_eats
    Pmagner_eats Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i have gone from a size 12-14 (right on the line) to now a size 2-4. I am 5'7". i did start my journey with the keto diet - i followed keto until i hit size 6. from there - i moved to IIFYM on a calorie deficit and started really working out. Lifting weights and cardio - im not moving into a size 2 and just about to my goal weight for a fitness competition.

The keto thing works- but ANYTHING will work if you commit and stick with it. The end rule is calorie deficit - however is easiest/best for you and makes your journey most enjoyable is up to you :smiley: