Wanting to make changes but need some advice.

Options
So, I'm wanting to work on getting healthy and what not. I'm trying to get tips and advice and prepare for everything I need to do but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do everything i want to do around my work schedule. I currently work overnights. I work monday thru thursday 10:30 p.m. - 8:30 a.m. My main concern is figuring out a good time during the week to go work out. I don't know if I should wake up a bit early (at night) and work out before my shift or if I should work out in the morning after I get off and before I go to sleep. Now, I plan to start meal planning and my schedule is completely throwing me off. I've never worked overnights before so I've never had to work around a schedule like this. Should I just plan it like my night time is daytime and my daytime is my night time? Any advice will be helpful!

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. I find I do better working out in the late afternoon. (I'll pop dinner in the oven to warm, work out and eat when finished.) However, I work from home and can exercise when I want, so our situations are a bit different. How do you usually feel after you exercise? If you're tired out and achy, you may not be in the greatest shape at work if you exercise early. If you're full of energy, then working out early might be a good thing.

You might want to experiment a bit to find your best time.
  • rdix333
    rdix333 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't work out before going to bed. Just cus, at least 4 me, it makes it harder to fall asleep. As far as what time is most beneficial, I don't think it matters. But others may have better advice.
  • NR81206
    NR81206 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I work nights, 7pm-7am, but I'm on a rotating schedule (2 on 2 off 3 on 2 off etc..) The days I work, I usually workout when I wake up (3-4pm) or I rest.. My 2nd days off and the day going back to work I like to do a morning workout and take a nap afterwards​. It's a weird schedule, but it works for me. You just have to figure out what works for you.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I would suggest with starting with your nutrition and easy exercize until you become accustomed to a change in diet. As far as working nights (I used to work rotating shifts); I would do set schedule for daily eating. Such as 5AM to 5AM or whatever is easiest for you to follow.

I used to do cardio then a small meal right before bed, because it helped me sleep better. Some people can't sleep after a workout. Find out what works for you. There is no one time of day that's best for everyone, just find out what's best for you.

Once you develop the habit if lower calories and good nutritional balance, increase your workouts. I see a lot of people who get overwhelmed by massive change in everything too fast, then ultimately fail/quit because it's too much of a change too fast.

Remember, fat loss isn't quick or linear, and change isn't easy. Work on one thing, get it done, then go to the next: small changes in your daily habits will have huge results over time.