Emotional eater? How do you deal?

Options
I've recently figured out that I am an emotional eater. Becoming aware has helped a lot in times that I am stressed. But I'm currently going back to old habits. Been going through some tough stuff and all I crave is a caramel frappe from Macdonalds! Any advice?

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps obviously, and I have on occasion convinced myself to get outside for a long walk, instead of reaching for treats.

Mostly I try to avoid the conditions that cause me that much stress. Stress is bad for you in many ways, not just increasing the likelihood of overeating. If I can't avoid it, I work to shorten it as much as possible and get back to my healthy ways immediately.
  • hazzaram
    hazzaram Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater, too. When I get stressed or upset, I binge horribly. I haven't found a way to overcome it yet but I just started a diary in a notebook to see if it helps. I'm going to try writing in it nightly.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with the same also binges. I already exercise daily, but I have some physical disabilities, so when I HAVE to take a rest day that almost makes the stress worse. What has helped me A LOT is meditation, all sorts of free tracks on YouTube, specifically binaural beats, chills me right out just after a few minutes.
  • LifeChange_32
    LifeChange_32 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am also an emotional eater. I have yet to find the thing that deters me from those days where I'm just reaching for comfort over and over. If anyone wants an account-abila-buddy, friend me! Let's get through this together ☺️
  • vmbourg
    vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am also an emotional eater. I gave up cigarrettes 9 years ago, then gave up alcohol 3 years ago, and now I battle with food. I just always feel like I need to put something in me when I am stressed. Currently dealing a terminally ill loved one (father in law) and a very ill mother. Some days are hard, but I know doing unhealthy things do not help the situation, makes me feel even worse, and not what I want to do in life. I have joined a team training gym that I go to with a workout partner everyday on my lunch break at work. It is really helping my stress, and has even become a type of therapy where I can get out of myself/head and do something productive. I have my days where I get off on my eating, but I have made tremendous progress. I dont beat myself up on the bad days. I accept it and move on. On the weekends when I am off but busy with kids and house chores, I make sure to make time to go for a walk or ride bikes. Even if I bring the kids to the park, I am on my feet , outside and doing life. So find something that helps stress. If working out doesnt help you, try reading/writing/art.. etc. I love Yoga too. But dont give up hope! We can do this! You can do this!
  • asianolikeyou
    asianolikeyou Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Journaling helped me; instead of reaching for comfort food, I write out my thoughts and feelings. By the time I'm done filling up the page, I'm over the temptation.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Abstinence from the foods I crave is what helps me with emotional eating. I eliminate my comfort foods 100% until I'm back on track. It's hard but always worth it.

The goal is moderation once cravings subside and I'm getting more and more successful over time.

I also have low calorie snacks I allow myself and I'm learning to eat them mindfully. No page or screen.

It all comes from needing to comfort myself and I'm still trying to figure that part out.

• Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have found that deep cleaning helps me out in those times. Scrubbing walls, corners of floors, reorganizing closets the bathtub whatever to keep my mind and body busy.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    If hunger's not the problem, food's not the solution.

I suggest that you make visiting McDonald's difficult for yourself. Me, personally--I prefer going home and hanging out there than making a special trip to fork over money for something I'm going to regret later. That just feeds the emotional eating cycle.

That said, sometimes cravings get crazy. Find a way to make yourself a frappe or treat at home that you can control the ingredients and calories of, but that can still "hit the spot." Indulging in a little of what you want won't hurt you any.
  • jesshasredhair
    jesshasredhair Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Youre not alone and it's really cool that you are recognizing this and reaching out for support. I'm a therapist and work with people struggling with this issue. It takes work to understand triggers, food rules, and to learn to tolerate more uncomfortable feelings, and when stress levels are high? It definitely can feel like a tough hurdle to overcome. I highly recommend the book Intuitive Eating and just about anything by Geneen Roth.
  • igarcia13
    igarcia13 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you for every response, I will try out a lot of the suggestions mentioned. Thank you!!
  • igarcia13
    igarcia13 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    I have found that deep cleaning helps me out in those times. Scrubbing walls, corners of floors, reorganizing closets the bathtub whatever to keep my mind and body busy.
    I do this sometimes when I am mad lol I put on Eminem and start cleaning. It's such a stress reliever.
    I am also an emotional eater. I have yet to find the thing that deters me from those days where I'm just reaching for comfort over and over. If anyone wants an account-abila-buddy, friend me! Let's get through this together ☺️
    Definitely!

Kullerva wrote: »
    That said, sometimes cravings get crazy. Find a way to make yourself a frappe or treat at home that you can control the ingredients and calories of, but that can still "hit the spot." Indulging in a little of what you want won't hurt you any.

I haven't though about that but I will definitely find a way to make my one treat with fewer calories

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Plan and count some sweet treats or indulgences into your day. Or, just power through it until it becomes habitual NOT to turn to food.

It's tough, I'm an emotional eater too - ANY emotion. I go through phases of having control over it, and then losing it for a bit. I don't have the ultimate solution, just one day at a time right?
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    What helps me when I want to eat due to emotions, I workout or read for at least 30 minutes. Helps clear my head.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    This really spoke to me. I can really hang in there for a while but binges derail me too. I try to journal and figure out the triggers. It is so frustrating. Thanks for all the information and ideas.
  • pquinn371
    pquinn371 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I feel a binge coming on, I set a timer for 20 minutes. The urge passes about 60%of the time.
  • Kel2GoLean
    Kel2GoLean Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    igarcia13 wrote: »
    I've recently figured out that I am an emotional eater. Becoming aware has helped a lot in times that I am stressed. But I'm currently going back to old habits. Been going through some tough stuff and all I crave is a caramel frappe from Macdonalds! Any advice?

• Kel2GoLean
    Kel2GoLean Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. I used to love to snack on a lot of bad stuff and just couldn't help myself and something in me couldn't do it any longer so I started weaning myself a little bit at a time. It has made a major difference in how I feel about foods, especially the sweets. I don't know if this will do it for you but stay strong.