Obesity takes my cousin

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
Just got home from the hospital where they took my cousin off life support. He was only a few years older than me and was doing fine till about 15 years ago.
He got a job as a bus driver and was doing pretty good when he suddenly lost his daughter to heart failure. My niece did have a health issue and passed away at 27. I know it hit him hard.
At 5'3" he ballooned up to 220lbs (from a previously healthy 150lbs) and the bus company stated that he was no longer physically fit to work so he got laid off. After that he pretty much just got depressed and ate himself up to over 300lbs. This of course lead to health issues and he got diabetic.
He chose not to do anything to improve his health and eventually had kidney failure. So that last few years he was on dialysis (4 hours every couple of days) and that still didn't deter him from eating in excess.
He was then diagnose with blockages in both arteries and needed a double by pass, but doctors didn't think he'd survive the operation. He at that point just said he didn't want to deal with living that way anymore.
So for the last month or so, he just slowly got of meds and dialysis and just stayed alive long enough to see family before submitting to death.
I'm sad for his other 2 daughters and that he didn't get a chance to see them get married.
I'm going to miss him.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Heartbreaking. I'm so sorry to you and your family..
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    My condolences. Sad situation.
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    My condolences, Sorry for your loss.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thanks for the condolences. My hope is that people here realize that being too heavy IS A BIG DEAL. The risk to health increases so much and it's sad when I see people drop off after only a couple of weeks of being here. The chances of them actually continuing to lose weight if they leave is quite low I'm sure.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Wow, very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing.
  • slider728
    slider728 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear of your loss. I hope your sharing of this story inspires someone to begin making better choices and take control of their health. Thank you for sharing!
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh. I'm sorry this happened. My condolences.
  • t4mommy
    t4mommy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So very sorry for your loss.... I know first hand how hard it is..... I gained 80lbs after my husband died, but I'm working hard to get healthy for me and my family.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    This is truly sad. Deepest condolences to the entire family.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Thanks for sharing your story -- hopefully it will make a difference in someone's life. Hugs to you.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,451 Member
    Options
    Im sorry for your loss :(
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    So sorry. Thank you for sharing this story as a moving reminder about the importance of caring for our mental and physical health. Warm wishes to you and your family.
  • npbgrace5396
    npbgrace5396 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So sad.. sorry for your loss
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I also offer my condolences to you. To see that it all happened in a span of 15 years is really shocking.

Doctors spend more than 15 years in school before they become doctors.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Today is the viewing of my cousin before cremation tomorrow. Will be good to see family members I haven't seen a a few years.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    That's really terrible. I'm sorry