Weightloss has stalled at the most frustrating point

Options

Replies

• zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Isn't it so frustrating??? Hang in there!
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm not diligent about logging my food but I don't eat much so I doubt it's over 1200 cals a day.
    Today i ate: an egg, 1/4 cup of low fat shredded cheese, a tomato, a mango, about 10 roadted peanuts in the shell, 1/2 an ear of corn, about a tablespoon of olive oil, and probably 4 oz of roasted chicken.
    So whatever It is, it is. That's all I wanted. I don't use sugar and use olive oil spray if I need oil, so it's not a lot.

You can't be sure how much you eat unless you do track diligently...
    You don't have to cut out anything when you log correctly.

This.

Knowledge is power. You may actually be eating less than 1200 calories and just don't know it. If so, you could be putting your body in starvation mode, or at least slowing your metabolism, making it extremely difficult to lose weight.

I also agree with another poster about recalculating your calorie goals upon losing some pounds. I re-guestimate my caloric needs using the BMR (basic metabolic rate) calculation after losing each 5 pounds or so.

If nothing else, I strongly encourage you to at least start logging your meals. Even without a food scale, you will have a much clearer picture of your calories in than you do now. You will also be developing a habit that may keep moving you in the right direction when times get tough.

Just my three cents worth of advice. :)

Best of wishes in a happy, healthy life!

Starvation mode?
    I'm not going into the mysterious and illusive (and mythical) starvation mode because it doesn't exist.
    I am eating less that 1200 cals a day and I do log often, so the days that I don't, i ate either the same calories as the days that I do, or if they are over 1200, I don't care because ..well because it's a sprint, not a marathon. I've been losing 2-3 lbs a week so I wasn't on the cusp of maintenance calories the last 4 months.
    I appreciate your advice though. I'll log for the next few days and see what I get.
  • gabriellejayde
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I'm not diligent about logging my food but I don't eat much so I doubt it's over 1200 cals a day.
    Today i ate: an egg, 1/4 cup of low fat shredded cheese, a tomato, a mango, about 10 roadted peanuts in the shell, 1/2 an ear of corn, about a tablespoon of olive oil, and probably 4 oz of roasted chicken.
    So whatever It is, it is. That's all I wanted. I don't use sugar and use olive oil spray if I need oil, so it's not a lot.

Just for funsies, I plugged this day's food into my MFP diary.  I chose the highest calorie choices possible and came up with this:

873 calories
    27% (60g) Carbs
    51% (50g)  Fat
    22%  (49g)  Protein

7g Fiber

I'll let the nutrition experts comment. (I was just a lowly biology major in college, who went on to get a Masters in Microbiology.  I study humans as little as possible these days as I prefer Petri dishes full of my microscopic wonders!)  :)

Good job, @40lbslighter

This person is starving themselves. I seriously doubt they'll last long enough to reach goal. If they do, they will soon make up for it and gain it all back, and more.

Slow and sustainable gets you there, and sustainable habits keep you at goal.

I'm not starving. When I'm hungry. I eat. I had a physical last week and I'm off all meds. Bloodwork was good. I'm 50 btw.
    My doc knows my diet.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I know what that's like. I experienced the same thing...you know it's not something to be concerned about but can't help the mental frustration from the tease. It felt like I fluctuated between 200 and 201 forever!

OP - trust in the process and know that once you drop below 200 you'll get the feeling of weight dropping off faster than normal. When I finally achieved that sub-200 milestone it felt like every day I was setting a new 'low' weight.
  • InesFit4Health
    InesFit4Health Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cut your nails, trim your hair, that extra .2 should go away :smile: I know it's so frustarting when you just want to see that magical number and it teases you by .2!!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Getting under 200 is a big goal for everyone! Congrats on being close. Those last few pounds to get under 200 seem to take forever. Just keep working your plan!
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Steady as she goes. It'll come off.
  • SammiLilyBug
    SammiLilyBug Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is literally me right now. Started at 255, now I'm weighing in anywhere from 200.4-202.5 the past two weeks. My body's just like nah you aren't gonna hit this milestone yet. Lol but it's super frustrating though I completely understand. This is my first "plateau" I guess.
  • gabriellejayde
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I am eating less that 1200 cals a day and I do log often, so the days that I don't, i ate either the same calories as the days that I do, or if they are over 1200, I don't care because .. well because it's a sprint, not a marathon. I've been losing 2-3 lbs a week so I wasn't on the cusp of maintenance calories the last 4 months. I appreciate your advice though. I'll log for the next few days and see what I get.

Interesting that you view your weight loss as a sprint.

This could explain why you're frustrated when the scale doesn't obey your wishes, or doesn't reflect your hard work.

I wish you luck... and patience.

*our personal experiences are bound to differ since I've chosen to try to lower the difficulty bar everywhere I can because I view all this as an extremely long ultra-marathon that will never end... while you've chosen to do the opposite...

lol... I actually mistyped that... I meant to say the opposite. I'm not in a rush to lose. I know it will happen.
  • gabriellejayde
    Options
    I had a physical last week and I'm off all meds. Bloodwork was good. I'm 50 btw.
    My doc knows my diet.

Super cool! Glad to know a doctor is monitoring your VLCD. =)

And to your original frustration:
    Watching the scale go up and down is frustrating enough as it is. I imagine hovering around such a milestone number would be ten times as intense!

With such low dietary fiber intake, and if you are not taking supplemental fiber, maybe a good poop will throw you right into onederland! =D

ha... you may be right (I do take fiber though)
    I think a lot of people have a misconception about how much "monitoring" happens when a person is under a doctor's care and on a low calorie diet. I see my doc every 3 months and he has actually never asked me what I eat. I've told him, and all he asked is if I'm taking vitamins (yes) and getting in enough protein (almost always). I have another doctor I see on occasion, who also knows I'm on a low calorie diet. She gave me a physical and checked my blood work, which was good, but again... didn't ask what I'm actually eating.

I see a lot of people say that eating under 1200 calories is dangerous... unless you're under a doctor's care. Being under a doctor's care doesn't really mean as much as some people think though.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The 'under a doctor's care' assumption means that the person who is doing a VLCD is doing so because their doctor has directed them to do so for health reasons such as preparation for weight loss surgery, or because a health risk is so imminent that the benefits of getting the excess fat off quickly outweigh the (very real and dangerous) risks. The person in question simply doesn't have the luxury of going about weight loss in a healthy strategy.

It's interesting to see that your doctors have basically not weighed in (pun intended ;) ) on the particulars of your diet, but it's good to see that your one doctor went ahead with the blood work and all of that. I hope that they continue to do so in regular intervals for as long as you keep your calories so low.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You didn't state you were under a medically-directed VLCD. No wonder people thought you were starving yourself.

A medically-directed VLCD isn't supposed to last forever. My son's girlfriend was on one, and she was given "diet breaks".

Also, have you asked the doctor what factors will mean you can end the diet?

These are things that make onlookers glad a doctor is supervising you.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I am eating less that 1200 cals a day and I do log often, so the days that I don't, i ate either the same calories as the days that I do, or if they are over 1200, I don't care because .. well because it's a sprint, not a marathon. I've been losing 2-3 lbs a week so I wasn't on the cusp of maintenance calories the last 4 months. I appreciate your advice though. I'll log for the next few days and see what I get.

Interesting that you view your weight loss as a sprint.

This could explain why you're frustrated when the scale doesn't obey your wishes, or doesn't reflect your hard work.

I wish you luck... and patience.

*our personal experiences are bound to differ since I've chosen to try to lower the difficulty bar everywhere I can because I view all this as an extremely long ultra-marathon that will never end... while you've chosen to do the opposite...

lol... I actually mistyped that... I meant to say the opposite. I'm not in a rush to lose. I know it will happen.

Your food level choices indicate otherwise.

Your medical supervision and reason for your VLCD AS EXPLAINED AND DESCRIBED to date... sound unconvincing.

(It sounds like you told your GP' "I want to lose weight fast"...

and they said: "good for you, go to town".

That is a bit short of what I would expect from a medically supervised VLCD)