Macros

How do you select the right amounts? Ive done online calculators and they all gave me different information. Did you all just start somewhere and then play around?

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    I don't watch macros. It all got too complicated trying to follow them. All I do is make sure I meet my protein. That's hard enough to do.
    If you make losing weight too difficult, you could end up giving up.

Did I answer a setup up for advertising?
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    I found it to be trial and error.
    The simplest recommendation I've heard is to start with an even split (33.3%/33.3%/33.3%) and go from there.

It turns out I need more carbs than I thought I did, with my training day split now being about 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. Rest day I'm closer to an even split.
  • tjucan
    tjucan Posts: 12 Member
    I pay a lot of attention to macros. I make sure to hit my protein goals everyday (0.8g/lb of lean mass while maintaining or losing weight, 1g/lb of lean mass while gaining), then to keep my net carbs under 20-25g because that's when I feel the best. After that I just make sure to eat enough fat to reach my daily calorie goal. So right now it's something like 10% carbs, 25% protein and 65% fat.
    But that's what works for me. Think about what you enjoy eating, what makes you feel good and about your weight/fitness goals. Slowly adjust macros and learn from the experience.
  • stevieleigh116
    stevieleigh116 Posts: 1 Member
    I found good success with the calculators on the ketogentic diet articles/blogs. Maybe start there?

I don't know exactly what you are looking for--but here is what I do, in case it is similar or helps in any way :) I am looking at a goal weight that is 140lbs away: currently I'm at a 1,200 calorie intake: 20g carb, 71g protein, 93g fat--it is about 6/24/60 in percentages.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited August 2017
    MFP set defaults for you. They are generally ok depending on your fitness goals. What are your goals for fitness and exercise? If doing resistance training, protein becomes more of a priority. If just concerned with weight loss, the defaults are fine. Hitting your calories in a deficit in the key to weight loss.

ETA: You've gotten a couple of low carb/ ketogenic responses. Low carb is fine if that's what you prefer but it has no metabolic advantage for weight loss. It is just as style of eating that some prefer. If you are insulin resistant, it can have some benefits in increasing insulin sensitivity. Usually, the best strategy is to eat the things you normally do and like. Just lower volume. When people have to modify from what they are comfortable with too much, it causes compliance issue which is self-defeating.

FTR, I eat moderately low carb, 100 to 150 grams per day. That is just my preference. My focus is on protein for my fitness goals.