Why do I do this

Options
I've gained back the 7lbs I've lost. I'm back to the start. I'm so mad at myself. Why do I do this??? Why do I cheat and eat bad knowing that it effects my body? I'm so upset and depressed. I just want to cry.

Replies

• gracerichter3213
    gracerichter3213 Posts: 50 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    It's a question a lot of us has asked! Do you think you're depriving yourself too much? Or do you find yourself eating more when stressed, or any other emotional state? Do you lose and figure you can just eat just a tad more thinking you'll catch yourself before you gain weight? Do you stop logging or weighing food (assuming you do). Those are some reasons why i gain what I lost.

How long did it take you to lose those 7?

Either way, you can regroup and start over!

Yes to every question!
    It took me a little over a month to lose the 7lbs and I have 25 total to lose.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Can you take a hold right now and concentrate on stopping the gain? 7 isn't 17! Remove all crap from your house - if any is there. I was in the same boat - and started back on track last week. I was sick of the yo-yo- and hoping I will stick with it. Motivation is nice and all but what I was missing is discipline. I feel better already. Moving more, eating more veggies, small moves.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    I've gained back the 7lbs I've lost. I'm back to the start. I'm so mad at myself. Why do I do this??? Why do I cheat and eat bad knowing that it effects my body? I'm so upset and depressed. I just want to cry.

Take a breath. This is a lifestyle, and there is no failing. Each time this happens, you can learn from it. What triggered you to go back to old habits? Was it a particular food? Were you hungry all the time? Only you can figure out why it is happening. You're not doing it to yourself, and there is no need to blame yourself for it. You just ate food, that's all. It's the way our brains are wired for survival.
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to get it on your first try, don't beat yourself up! Believe in yourself, get back on it. Is there a part of you that thinks there is no point because you'll just get back to it anyway?
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have done the same to myself many times, OP. I can commiserate with the feeling of having let myself down after so much hard work. I'm still working through it myself, but I hope you can find a way to start again - because you're worth it!

I've been doing better with a high fat low carb diet, seems to be helping with my tendency to stress eat. Not sure if that'll help, but it's worth experimenting to see what works for you :) You can do it!
  • PeakLiving17
    PeakLiving17 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Simple. You're not ready yet.

Only when you decide to commit to your new habits consistently will you be ready.
  • Gibby349
    Gibby349 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It happens me all the time trust me but just think of it this way if u lost those pounds once you can do it again
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Gibby349 wrote: »
    It happens me all the time trust me but just think of it this way if u lost those pounds once you can do it again

You're describing yo-yo dieting. Not a good goal.

Read the Helpful Posts stickies and learn how to stick to your calorie limit whatever your goals.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is that you cheat yourself because you want to. The simple solution is that you decide you don't want to cheat yourself. That' hard. I wish you well.
  • highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is technically the easy part .... its a mechanical process of CICO ..... its the mental battle of changing potentially a lifetime of habbits / pain / upset or whatever else drove you to break your routine ...

This is the problem with the weight loss industry - we're not taught how to deal with that side of it ... just given 'systems' .... You have to sit down and understand in your own mind what's doing this .... it's not quick nor easy but for me its seen a real change in both my approach to losing and how i go about it ...

I came so close this weekend to pigging out on something i thought i wanted .... but i managed to catch myself in that moment and in essence talk to myself and talk me down off that binge ledge .... Think about yourself a lot more
  • Gibby349
    Gibby349 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Read the Helpful Posts stickies and learn how to stick to your calorie limit whatever your goals.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads

Yes I know but im not letting it happen again 3rd time lucky
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Yes I know but im not letting it happen again 3rd time lucky

I think the point is that the OP probably lost that weight as quickly as she did because she was following an overly restrictive diet that was unsustainable. Yo-yo dieting is really hard on your body and often leads your high weight number to creep up over time. I've seen some studies that it's better just to be fat than to keep losing the same lbs over and over again.

To the OP, I'd recommend setting your weight-loss goal to 0.5 a week and seeing how that goes. It's easier to stick to small changes than big ones, and without much to lose, you need to come to peace with the idea that either you take it slow and stick to your changed habits, or set yourself up to regain again and again.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    The problem may be you view "fun" food as "cheating". It's been said many times on here that food is nutritionally dense or not and calorie dense or not. If you regained, it's likely because you abstained from "fun" foods and then gorged on them due to it.
    The way I believe people should eat is to enjoy everything you like, but make sure you accounting for calories. If you do, then you should be able to maintain once you get to goal weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    Can you take a hold right now and concentrate on stopping the gain? 7 isn't 17! Remove all crap from your house - if any is there. I was in the same boat - and started back on track last week. I was sick of the yo-yo- and hoping I will stick with it. Motivation is nice and all but what I was missing is discipline. I feel better already. Moving more, eating more veggies, small moves.
    This DOESN'T address how to manage the "crap" if you want to eat it. As has been mentioned before, there are really no "crap" foods. If one intends to indulge, then they just need to be aware of how many calories they are consuming. If they can't learn how to control it, they likely never will and will end up having to AVOID foods they like for life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png