Can one with lower back pain bulge disc do running moderately

Options
Hi need advise , can someone with lower back pain bulge disc on disc L3, L4, L5 and S1 do running as usual when pain subside ? Or better not to do as it will cause the pain to return ? Kindly advise. Thks.

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Check with a doctor and/or physiotherapist. You don't want to make your condition worse.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't sound like a good idea to me, but I'm not doctor or therapist.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    At least from my own experience, no. The force running creates on the back is just too big and significantly prolongs recovery. Walking is great, though. I have permanently recurring back and disc issues and when they flair up I cease all running right away or else I'm looking at an extra month of recovery. Each back issue is different, though, so your doctor may have a different opinion.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    There's always a way if you really want it. I've had 2 spinal fusions now (scoliosis, bulging, level colapse) and I've done dozens of races. 6 full M.
    Docs will likely say no (like mine) but I always find a way to do what I want. Run, lift, snowboard.

I will say dirt trails, grass, sand are much nicer to run on than roads, sidewalks. :smile:
  • lifechanger90210
    lifechanger90210 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a lower back pain so I opted for the bike and cross trainer doesn't affect me
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    how did you hurt your back? I had a bulging disk lots of pain, but I found playing soccer on grass of course helped loosen the back muscles. Depending on your lifestyle, I would say running on grass would be more beneficial, if you can. I would look into Yoga and Pilates to help stretch it out and build your core at the same time. I've found stretching to be very helpful, but discuss with your doctor and a physical therapist, I can only say what worked for me.
  • alisonkuan
    alisonkuan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all favorable contribution. Doctor advise to do Pilate. Western doctor said no problem if you feel ok just continue your run. But chinese TCM doctor said jogging should never be continue. Which is why I am confuse. The pain will come like once a wear but during the run I do not feel any pain at all infant slow running make me feel the best. But I worry internal may get worst. When the pain do come there were 2 occasion I went to hospital for injection so to expedite my recovery though taking pain killer can help but rather slow.
  • alisonkuan
    Options
    Is walking on threadmill better or slow jogging at 7km/h beta ? I do need this exercise to help reduce weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    alisonkuan wrote: »
    Is walking on threadmill better or slow jogging at 7km/h beta ? I do need this exercise to help reduce weight.

No, you need a calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    This is just my experience and it might not apply to you. I have what they call "degenerative disc disease" which basically means my L5 disc is wearing out much faster than normal. It's a chronic condition that will never get better. The best I can do is minimize the damage and manage the pain when it flares up.

I do everything I can is to avoid any sort of impact to my lower back. That definitely rules out running. Pilates, yoga strength training, any low impact machines and lots and lots of walking have all been safe and helpful for me. There's no reason you ever need to run.

If your condition is acute, meaning you hurt yourself and it will heal over time, you should be ok to run at some point. If your condition is chronic I personally would be very, very careful doing it at all.
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Great question..... I need to go to the doctor to find out what is going on with my back.... I have a pain on my lower back, just off to the right of my spine. Thanks for all the comments to @alisonkuan I'll be using some of the advice given to her.
  • alisonkuan
    Options
    This is just my experience and it might not apply to you. I have what they call "degenerative disc disease" which basically means my L5 disc is wearing out much faster than normal. It's a chronic condition that will never get better. The best I can do is minimize the damage and manage the pain when it flares up.

I do everything I can is to avoid any sort of impact to my lower back. That definitely rules out running. Pilates, yoga strength training, any low impact machines and lots and lots of walking have all been safe and helpful for me. There's no reason you ever need to run.

If your condition is acute, meaning you hurt yourself and it will heal over time, you should be ok to run at some point. If your condition is chronic I personally would be very, very careful doing it at all.

So u did not do any running ? But I do very small step running u mean also can be hurtful for back ? Do u walk casually or brisk walking ?
  • alisonkuan
    Options
    MRI report state mild disc bulge in L3,4,5 n S1. According to doctor is degenerative of disc. Yes will never recover. So at home I am given many sets of yoga nature of exercise to do on a floor mat.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    This is a question for your doctor. I have a herniated disc at L5 and degenerative disc disease in the rest of my spine. I run and lift weights with no issue. Lifting weights has actually improved the pain significantly by strengthening the muscles that support my spine. But this has been done with the guidance of my doctor.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Impact sports and repetitive strain sports will make your back worse, which includes running.

Any exercises to strengthen your core muscles, which includes pilates, is good.

Our local Worker's Compensation board encourages walking as one of the best ways to manage back pain. It keeps you flexible and moving.

So walking good, running bad.
  • Cowenlaw1
    Cowenlaw1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have a bad disc at L5/S1, and running combined with weight loss has made the pain go away 99% of the time. Also, most people over 30 have some degree of disc degeneration and bulging as part of the natural aging process.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I have severe disc narrowing at L5 and other issues, my PT told me if it hurts don't do it. I stopped running and avoid overhead squats and snatches.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Once someone is out of acute pain, running usually doesn't make it flare up again. But, heavy lifting or even a violent sneeze can cause flare ups.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I have DDD. I also have two forms of arthritis. This is very different from bulging discs (I think). My rheumatologist is fine with me running. Bear in mind that I built up to running very slowly and strength trained to get the core strength necessary to support my back while running before even attempting it.