Can you eat carbs to break a No carb No sugar Plateau.

1dmealing
1dmealing Posts: 9 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been doing no carbs and no sugar for five weeks. In the first two weeks I lost 14 pounds. Then I hit a plateau for another two weeks. In those two weeks I tried different exercises as well as eating more vegetables. Nothing seemed to work. One day I got the bright idea to eat carbs. Weirdly enough The day after I ate carbs I lost 3 pounds. I'm just curious if eating carbs on a no carb no sugar plan is actually a way to break a plateau. It's only been a week, but I've been losing consistently ever since.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited August 2017
    Yes, actually this is very common, and even has a scientific explanation. Google "the whoosh effect." The short version is that during weight loss, fat is replaced temporarily by water, and then the body flushes the water. For some reason a higher than usual carbs day seems to trigger the flush in some people.

It would have happened eventually anyway.
  • 1dmealing
    Awesome! I will google that. Thank you for the info!
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,795 Member
    I dont think you were ever on a plateau but eating or not eating carbs can effect the scale temporarily
    10116386.png
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    As Meelisv and others have now mentioned, carbs has nothing to do with your weight loss or lack thereof. Weight loss occurs from being in a caloric deficit. You could eat 100% of your calories from carbs and you will still consistently lose weight so long maintain CICO in a favorable ratio. The carb people of various stripes often have a difficult time accepting this at first, but it is nonetheless reality.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Meelisv wrote: »
    1dmealing wrote: »
    I've been doing no carbs and no sugar for five weeks... ...I tried different exercises as well as eating more vegetables....

This doesn't make any sense.
    Firstly, it's literally not possible to eat zero carbs. You can get that number very low, but not to zero.
    Secondly, vegatables usually consist of about 90% carbs.

And as said above, cutting carbs doesn't cause fat loss, caloric deficite does. If you feel better eating low carb, do it. But it is not a magic solution.

This!

A 0 carb diet would be meats and fats only.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I think it's coincidence...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited August 2017
    1dmealing wrote: »
    I've been doing no carbs and no sugar for five weeks. In the first two weeks I lost 14 pounds. Then I hit a plateau for another two weeks. In those two weeks I tried different exercises as well as eating more vegetables. Nothing seemed to work. One day I got the bright idea to eat carbs. Weirdly enough The day after I ate carbs I lost 3 pounds. I'm just curious if eating carbs on a no carb no sugar plan is actually a way to break a plateau. It's only been a week, but I've been losing consistently ever since.

I just wanted to make sure when you say "no carbs/no sugar" you literally mean no fruits or vegetables whatsoever - you are just eating protein and fat.

Often people mean "no added sugar" and we get confused.
  • 1dmealing
    edited August 2017
    I mean no simple carbs. I do not eat sugary foods or fruits.
  • 1dmealing
    I think rheddemobile comments were most helpful. Thank you all for the comments. I researched "whoosh" and that sounds most likely what happened .