I don’t understand how some people stick to 1200 calories per day diet,

Options
anechka1981
anechka1981 Posts: 17 Member
edited August 2017 in Motivation and Support
I don’t understand how some people stick to 1200 calories per day diet, plus exercising and not eating these calories back.

I can barely stick to 1,500 calories intakes, that is to take in to count that I eat back those calories that I loose in the gym.

After 3-4 days of 1,500 calories per day, I start to experience headache, because my body just starting to fed up. I start to have sleeping problems. It's physical uncomfort, so my body reacts to it physically. I make sure I eat dinner at around 8, and go to bed around 10-11 pm, so I don't go to bed hungry, but then I can get up in the middle of the night from hunger. These problems only go away when I start to consume more calories. Sometimes I don’t feel hunger itself, I just feel light in head, during a day or night. If it happens at night, my sleep become very light. So, I'm either can't fell sleep for hours, or keep awaking from every noise. Sometimes, I have to go downstairs at night, and eat something, otherwise I won’t fell asleep till morning. And I have to get up for work at 6 am. My body stops feeling discomfort only when I start to comeback to my normal calories intake - 1,700-1,800. But this is not enough for me to loose weight. This is my normal allowance to maintain the weight that I have now. I'm only 5,2 and 145 pounds. It feels like I’m in the hell circle. I end up going to work hungry, and sleepy. As a result, ending up in absolutely horrible mood. I've always been a healthy eater, but trust me it is possible to gain weight from healthy food as well.

How does anyone cope with their low calories intake?

Replies

• shadowbaby4
    shadowbaby4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's tough for sure. I'm struggling to stay at 1200. I watch the people around me eat regular-sized meals that I can't have, and I'm so goddamn hungry by the end of the day, and it sucks. I guess the only way to really deal with it is to do this weird psychological flip where you start to see the unpleasant physical feelings as a good thing, as a sign that you're making progress, as the necessary price you have to pay to have the body you want.

I fill up on green tea in the evening to help the hunger pangs. I snack on ridiculous amounts of raw veggies. I accept that I'm going to feel sick and week and miserable for awhile, and it's worth it to me.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    You just do. I guess people have different tolerances, just like people have different pain thresholds...

This is all that I can think of.

I've seen people around on the forums who say they get so hungry on 1600 calories it's unbearable. Meanwhile, once I'm done losing weight 1600 calories should be my maintenance number (before exercise).

I'm eating 1300 calories a day now (again before exercise) and it just doesn't bother me.
  • LadyLeaAZ
    LadyLeaAZ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't even make 1200 calories a day probably bc I'm never hungry, stress kills my appetite.

Today's meal plan
    Breakfast: half ham and cheese omelette
    Lunch: Rotisserie chicken breast, green leaf lettuce, ranch and cheese.
    Dinner: Ravioli, sauce and garlic bread

Snacks: honey almonds or deli meat

Just remember protein keeps you full longer.

You can do it one meal at a time !
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    if i had tried to start out at 1200 calories i would have completely failed. even right now i'm at 1310+ some eating back if I'm active for the day. In a month or so I'll cut down to 1200. lots and lots of veggies.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have managed to eat lower than 1200 calories, when I was not really doing much in the way of activity, but it was not healthy and I did not do it for long. I am fortunate in that I can lose weight quite adequately on 1600 net calories and maintain on upwards of 2000 (I am fairly active now). Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I know I can get by on a low number, but I have no wish to as my priority now is my health and fitness. Fortunately, I do not have weight to lose anyway.
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The reason I can do it is because I don't get any those symptoms you're talking about. I'm not uncomfortable on a diet until it's in the 3-digit range, but even then the only thing that happens is I binge later on. MFP has me at 1560, but those last 500 calories have been a struggle to get in the last few months.

If you don't mind, I wonder if it's a body weight issue, and I wonder if you're a lot smaller than me. I'm morbidly obese so my theory is I don't get those symptoms on any low-cal budget because I have enough fat reserves to cover it.
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Planning, earning extra through exercise as top up. I did 5:2 diet couple of years ago and 500 calories was fine when got into habit, just had to make sensible choices and not waste on rubbish. I've had 1200 base from day one being short, it can be done.