Any judokas out there?

Options
I started training judo about six months ago and it's been a huge motivator for getting in shape. I'd love to build up some strength at home on the nights I don't have class. What exercises do you like, particularly for upper body strength?

Also, tell me what you love about judo!

For me, it's the first time I've ever felt strong and proud of what my body can do instead of ashamed about how it looks, plus it's exhilirating to let loose on the mat and forget about everything except pinning my opponent. It's the only time I stop thinking.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Not anymore. Unfortunately.

Push-ups should help you.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I've got a workplace colleague who is into judo and I'm surreptitiously picking up some nutrition tips from him. His lunch is yogurt and blackberries.
  • akatdrake
    akatdrake Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Though I do not practice Judo - I do practice BJJ about three days a week - only a one-stripe blue belt, but anyway... I do a fair amount of push-ups for upper body as well as squats for core and stability for those throws. Though I also practice MMA, I do some footwork drills to help as well. BJJ has helped me as well, gaining confidence in something I've not normally had confidence in. Good luck to you in your journey!
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hi, I do Shotokan Karate. I know where you are coming from. I love karate, doesn't matter if i'm losing at sparring (inevitable) it's all fun for me.

Upper body wise, I am particularly weak as most of my sports are leg centric. So I focus on Push-ups, planks, pull-ups (I can't do those so jump up and lower slowly instead). Any weight training that focus on shoulders, traps and lats. Yoga/pilates is especially good training for 'positional endurance' (that might just be karate? Sensei stops counting during a drill to teach bunkai... 'hours' later remembers you're in a particularly torturous position, starts counting again). I also find swimming beneficial.

Enjoy your training, good luck on your future gradings.
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    We I rolled in college we had to do hand stand walks around the gym with our feet on the walls and those damn ball pull ups grips gets crazy . Plus regular strength and conditioning. Was talking with some guys that said they did bouldering in the off season because it's all grip and upper body.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I got the bug 20 years ago and incorporated much of this and BJJ into my arsenal. Tons of pull ups, self destructs, push ups, situps, mtn climbers, burpees, and leg lifts.

Awesome! Nothing like friendly combat to let off steam and get centered.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    44 year veteran judo player, former Team GBer, 3rd Dan, superheavyweight now trying to get back to middleweight
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I used to be a judoka. Or is it something you always are even when you don't partake any more?

Make sure you focus on the back strength as well as the push ups. Some bent over rows and flys with dumbbells should help bringing with bringing the opponents close in and pulling them to the side.

Obviously abs are a given