Wake up call

Options
Hi, I'm a 28 year old scientist with around 100lbs to lose, maybe more if possible. I am trying to make permanent lifestyle choices to not only lose weight but maintain a healthy life. I had a DR berate me for an hour and say surgery was my only option. Drs don't always know everything. I want to prove he's only half right as in yes I needed to lose weight but no surgery wasn't necessary. Wish me luck, please!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Eat a little less, move a little more.

But if you really do eat a little less by using a food scale to accurately weigh and log every morsel and drop you consume while maintaining a comfortable and reasonable calorie deficit for months and months of slow and fluctuating weight loss, you don't really have to exercise. Not really. But, you'll want to.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @britt_2007_89 that is awesome. I was 63 and sinking fast before I answered my wake up call and started changing my thinking, moving and eating lifestyle. Three years later most all of my negative health and lab tests are recovering.

Before Oct 2014 I had lost weight many times only to have a 100%+ regain. Yo-yoing weight was killing me totally.

Many may tell you to do this or that but in the end we all can be different and have to wind up finding the way of eating, moving and thinking at works for us. We can learn from others but just copying the approach of another may never work well for us. In time my body started guiding me as how to eat, move and think. Just do not let the noise of others keep you from hearing what your own body is saying to you. There is not one way that fits everyone.

Best of success and welcome to MFP forums.
  • britt_2007_89
    britt_2007_89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @cmriverside, it was uncomfortable having the dr be so aggressive and biased as I have perfect lab work: low cholesterol, 3.8 A1c, relatively good health but a large bmi. However he is right that my quality of life would drastically improve upon maintaining a healthier weight so I didn't leave because I'm tired of being weak and having my feelings hurt while being fat shamed when I can and am doing something to improve my situation. If it made him feel better to lecture on something he's obsessed about I really can't take it too personal. Though when it first happened it disappointed me. I'm not doing weight loss surgery though!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    Options
    @cmriverside, it was uncomfortable having the dr be so aggressive and biased as I have perfect lab work: low cholesterol, 3.8 A1c, relatively good health but a large bmi. However he is right that my quality of life would drastically improve upon maintaining a healthier weight so I didn't leave because I'm tired of being weak and having my feelings hurt while being fat shamed when I can and am doing something to improve my situation. If it made him feel better to lecture on something he's obsessed about I really can't take it too personal. Though when it first happened it disappointed me. I'm not doing weight loss surgery though!

I agree that a doctor needs to address obesity. You said, "berate me for an hour" though. That to me means it was done for an hour, and that it was done condescendingly. If he was just educating, then good on him.

I often bristle at corrections and "lessons" but looking back on them I'll discern whether or not the person was right and act accordingly.

Whatever it takes, I say. Someone called me a fat@ss and frankly she was right and that comment helped me get a grip on myself and start to lose weight. Honesty comes in many forms.
  • rlilly697
    rlilly697 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit to start and then look at some interval training! Use his words to spur you on! Ram them back down his throat!
    Good Luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Good luck
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    GOOD LUCK!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Wow what a great attitude you have. I'm sure you'll do it!
  • Tapout112009
    Tapout112009 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I had a Dr tell me I was prob never gunna walk again because I busted my l2 vertebrae and I dnt have it anymore so they fused 5 of them together. And I was walking w help 10 days later and back to work in a brace 3 months later and now 18 months later in the best shape of my life. I can't run or do certain things but I did everything everyone told me.i would never do in my life again in under 3 months. I'm 30 years old and I let that fuel me. You can also
  • Tedrick123
    Tedrick123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    U can add me
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Great attitude, good luck and feel free to add me for motivation and encouragement.
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a 28 year old scientist with around 100lbs to lose, maybe more if possible. I am trying to make permanent lifestyle choices to not only lose weight but maintain a healthy life. I had a DR berate me for an hour and say surgery was my only option. Drs don't always know everything. I want to prove he's only half right as in yes I needed to lose weight but no surgery wasn't necessary. Wish me luck, please!

Surgery is not the only answer. I started on January 11th of this year at 260 lbs and I am down 95 lbs! You can do it. It might not be easy... but it CAN be done without surgery. I changed everything though... what I eat, how much I eat and my activity level went from non-existent to joining a gym and working out.
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Just do not let the noise of others keep you from hearing what your own body is saying to you. There is not one way that fits everyone.

Best of success and welcome to MFP forums.

Superb Advice!!! 110% Accurate too!!