your most filling vegetable

Options
LernRach
LernRach Posts: 286 Member
So for sugar and other health issues i am trying to keep off carbs (PCOS issues)
What vegetables do you find to be least calorific/carby and most filling please?
Thank you

Replies

• rdix333
    rdix333 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I find broccoli and cauliflower fill me up. Cauliflower is my go-to for almost everything.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of coleslaw mix (shredded carrots and cabbage). It's 25 calories for 86 grams (about a cup and a half) and it goes with just about everything. I use it for a salad, in sandwiches, as a bed for saucy foods.

• LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    rdix333 wrote: »
    I find broccoli and cauliflower fill me up. Cauliflower is my go-to for almost everything.
    i don't like the smell of them when they cook - i want someone else to cook and deliver them :smiley:

I eat a lot of coleslaw mix (shredded carrots and cabbage). It's 25 calories for 86 grams (about a cup and a half) and it goes with just about everything. I use it for a salad, in sandwiches, as a bed for saucy foods.

Do u cook or eat raw?

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Find a vegetable with higher fiber to carb ratio. It sounds like you are not found of the cruciferous (stinky) veggies.

Also, adding a little fat will help with the satiety (but not the weight loss).

It looks like all the legumes are good.

https://greatist.com/health/surprising-high-fiber-foods

http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-011006000000007000000-w.html
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I find broccoli very filling as well. I also steam-fry cabbage and find that extremely filling for the calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    LernRach wrote: »
    rdix333 wrote: »
    i don't like the smell of them when they cook - i want someone else to cook and deliver them :smiley:

Do u cook or eat raw?

I typically eat it raw, but it's also good cooked.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    My go to is brussel sprouts, I like mine cut in half in a small skillet with a little water (2-3 Tablespoons), pepper and olive oil when the water evaporates they get a little glaze from the olive oil :)
  • bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    broccoli, zucchini, sweet potatoes!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash and mushrooms (yeah, yeah, I know it's not really a veg). Both super low in calories but still very filling. And they taste good together.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Broccoslaw, butternut squash puree, salad greens, cauliflower rice
  • Juniper210
    Juniper210 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sugar Snap peas. I can have a plate of those with nothing else and be quite satisfied.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Cucumber, eggplant, summer squash (especially cousa), celery, radishes, jicama, long beans, celeriac, cantaloupe (yeah, not a veg, but I just ate 200g of the stuff for 69 cals & 16g carbs, so it might as well be), . . .
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Celery sticks dipped in Franks Red Hot. It's so crunchy and spicy- I end up drinking a ton of water and then feeling full :smile:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Another vote for spaghetti squash.

Watermelon is really filling for the calories too. I know it's a fruit, but if Anne can go with canteloupe... ;)
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Definitely broccoli and cauliflower. If you buy the frozen stuff, I don't think it smells nearly as much as cooking from raw.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I find broccoli very filling as well. I also steam-fry cabbage and find that extremely filling for the calories.

I also steam fry cabbage. Throw in some green beans at the end. .. low calorie and yummy
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Zoodles, cucumber, celery
  • solovino1
    solovino1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower.
  • albin9072
    albin9072 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think brocole,whole grains,appel,spinach ,like that ..not to eat cake, potatoes,white bread,and not to drink soft drink ,beer
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots. You'd be surprised about how MANY are in a 3-6oz portion. You'll be chewing for a good 30 minutes.