The struggle is real!

Options
jslick0677
jslick0677 Posts: 11 Member
edited August 2017 in Motivation and Support
I try I really do, but it's so hard to resist all the temptations each and every day!!! Having a support system at home that is willing to go through this journey with you is key, in my opinion!
It's so hard to incorporate change when everyone in the house doesn't have the same goals!

Replies

• CyclingRoadie6
    CyclingRoadie6 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I hear you! The key word in this is "support". Regardless if others have different goals (which is totally fine), they still need to be supportive with what you are working towards. The main thing is that you are doing this for you, and making these changes in a healthy way, that is what matters. As soon as someone or something that gets in the way of your goals, then it becomes an issue.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jslick0677 wrote: »
    I try I really do, but it's so hard to resist all the temptations each and every day!!! Having a support system at home that is willing to go through this journey with you is key, in my opinion!
    It's so hard to incorporate change when everyone in the house doesn't have the same goals!

Not really... my husband is currently trying to gain weight...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You do you. But you could ask your family to not eat the most tempting foods right in front of you?
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    jslick0677 wrote: »

Not really... my husband is currently trying to gain weight...

Same situation here. My husband is currently trying to gain weight while I'm trying to lose the 10 pounds I put on after surgeries. He's very supportive of my goals but I'm the one who has to put in the work to meet them.

I just make sure I'm eating right for my goals and make sure he's getting enough food to meet his (he can't cook).

OP - if you have problems resisting the tempting food ask your family to keep it where it's not where you have to see it all the time if possible.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I find it helps if my husband is familiar with my current goals and how I plan to reach them. I am lucky in that he tends to be pretty supportive as long as he knows what is going on.

He is strictly a meat and potatoes kind of guy, drinks way too much soda, and likes his little treats. Since he doesn't really need to lose weight we just have to find a happy middle ground in our house. Things that work for me:

-Since he is super picky I haven't really changed the way I cook very much, just the way I portion my food. I cook whatever meat, usually mashed potatoes on the side, and then a veggie. We just load our plate differently, I put lots of veggies and smaller portions of meat and taters, he puts lots of meat and taters.
    -I pretty much cut out all calorie drinks since I would rather eat my calories than drink them, most of the time soda doesn't really tempt me so I don't have much advice on avoiding drinks.
    -Since he is quite a bit taller than me I just ask him to put any treats he buys either on a top shelf in a cabinet or on top of the cabinet. I literally have no idea they are even there. And he is pretty sweet about trying to not eat them in front of me. He will go off to his man cave with his cookies and milk and I will typically be none the wiser.

Just another random tip- I found pre-logging was incredibly helpful early on. I have acquired more of and eye and better judgement over time, but pre-logging really saved me from the "oh, crap, I just ate 500 more calories than I intended" moments. It is just easier for me to find my willpower when I am looking at hard numbers and not just going off of a vague "well I shouldn't do this but....."
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    Options
    I have a horrible sweet tooth. I told my wife I'm going to go 2 weeks with no candy or ice cream just to prove to myself that I had the will power. The next day on the counter......a huge bag of Twizzlers. Not on purpose, just another in a long line of me having a conversation with my spouse but really talking to a chair. My wife has called me a fanatic, told me I'm obsessed and neither in flattering form.

Bottom line, if one wants something that is deeply personal, ignore the distractions. Ignore the negative comments and march forward without them. One can't depend on others for happiness. It has to begin inside.