Please help me ground myself...

Options
I've been using the same digital scale (with carpet feet) since March 1st 2017. With this scale I've gone from 323lbs to around 290lbs. I've been so proud.

This morning I wondered what would happen without the carpet feet and used on a hard floor instead. It read 304lbs.

The logical part of me says "So what? This just means your start weight was higher than 323lbs. It doesn't mean you haven't lost all that weight!"

But my heart is saying I've been deluded, that none of my new habits have applied, that I'm a fraud for telling my family I've lost over 30lbs. None of that congratulations, from both myself and others, was deserved.

Ugh, how I hate that voice. I KNOW there has been progress, and I just need to quit this pity party and woman up! I thought about throwing away the scale and getting a new one, starting fresh with a new start weight. Or continuing forward blind. But...

I once saw an excellent piece of advice around here that said all scales will tell you something different, you've just got to pick a horse and keep riding it. I'm trying to remind myself of this.

What do you guys think? What did you do when this happened to you? Do I just need to let go of the idea of my start weight being 323lbs and just have faith in the process, that change will happen regardless? My weight has defined me all my life, and seeing it drop out of the 300 club has given me this new perspective on myself. But today I'm shaken.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I would be grouchy for a few days no matter how much I told myself it didn't matter. I don't like scales very much. You can try weighing yourself naked but that only helps once.

A trending app like weightgrapher is a little more encouraging. I find fitness goals to be even better.
  • Uisceuisce
    Uisceuisce Posts: 37 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Well if you have been putting in the work, which you have, it is going to show. It will show in your mood, your skin, your improved lifestyle and in toning up, not just on a scales.
    Keep going! You're doing great!
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Did you re-zero the scales (by putting some weight on them then letting them go back to zero) after moving them? I recently found out I'd been looking at inaccurate readings every day because I didn't recalibrate my scales whenever I moved them (which I have to do to use them as I have a tiny bathroom). Turns out the scales were adding 2kg extra to my weight - so it could be that the number you saw wasn't right. Try recalibrating the scales and see what it says.

Even if your original numbers were the ones that weren't accurate, you have lost the weight and you have made progress. Yes, it absolutely sucks and I'd be in a mood with the scales too, but in the end it is just a number that no one else can see. I bet people have noticed your progress though! Keep at it and try not to get disheartened.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    aemsley05 wrote: »
    Even if your original numbers were the ones that weren't accurate, you have lost the weight and you have made progress. Yes, it absolutely sucks and I'd be in a mood with the scales too, but in the end it is just a number that no one else can see. I bet people have noticed your progress though! Keep at it and try not to get disheartened.

^^^ this! But, I'd be grumpy about it for a bit too. Just don't let it give you an excuse to self sabotage your efforts. You really have made great progress, just keep at it!
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I put my scale in the basement it's now on a concrete floor. I hate the basement. I hate the scale and I hate doing laundry all in the same area. LOL. I always blame the scale I am working my butt off. Take measurements I feel that's the best way to see improvement. It's just a number.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Well, here's a chance to get to 300 again. The only thing you need for losing as far as WI is concerned is a consistent official number that you track.

I'm on scale #3. My first digital was a reward I got myself and for a time, wished I hadn't. Then one day that scale just died. More little changes. But the only thing that matters is a dependable way to track a moderate downward trend over time.

Looks like a reasonably good outcome. You will soon be under 300 with a more dependable process. WL is all process. All problem solving. Constant adjustments. Embrace and trust the process. If you run into trouble, keep problem solving and adjusting. Try to keep an attitude of experimentation.

If you keep a weight chart, and you should, just mark this point as where you adjusted your instrumentation. Scientists have to do this sort of thing quite frequently. A scale is only a tool, not a judge.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I was half way through my weight loss and my scale died. It was very, very old.

Got a new one, weighed 4-5 lbs more. Yup, like you I cursed and swore and felt a little cheated.

But, it is now almost 8 years later, and because I didn't have my start weight and goal weight tattooed on my head neither I, or anyone else can tell whether I lost 25, 30, or 35 lbs.

I always say I lost 30lbs, but to be honest I don't really know. I just know I got to my happy place.

Be frustrated for a few days then carry on to your happy place- oh and take pictures of your progress.

Cheers, h.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you are doing and use your clothes as the true test. You're doing great - the hard work is paying off! Just don't stop! get off the bummer train and get out there and train. You can do this! We all can do this!
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You could always ask your doctor's office to weigh you and then compare the numbers.

The bottom line is you've put in the work, have lost the weight, and are doing great.
  • Amyfinch0
    Amyfinch0 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone. I was in a horrible place with it all this morning, but a day of being outside with a friend and coming home to your thoughtful responses has really put me back where I needed to be. Remembering the scale is just a tool and not a judge is immensely helpful. I feel silly for having got so worked up about it - I should have asked myself what I'd say to a friend in this position, and my response to them would've been the same as what you all put!

Thank you again!