Calories and breastfeeding.

Options
I've downloaded mfp to make myself accountable for what I'm eating during breastfeeding. I still have 16lbs to lose post birth (lo is 8 weeks) so I would also like to lose some of this at a reasonable rate.

Mfp has given me 1,980 calories a day losing 0.5 lbs a week. Does this seem appropriate for a woman exclusively breast feeding? Too high or low?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• JnfrSh123
    JnfrSh123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would also like advice on this ... I am logging my bf under the food section which shows it as -500 cal but it isn't taking it into account for my overall daily allowance. I am eating healthy and only cutting junk eating clean where possible but I am concerned about reducing supply. Hopefully someone with some experience will come along! Feel free to add me if u would like a buddy
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    this post has good info about breastfeeding calories in the second half:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum

If you are exclusively breast feeding and wish to continue then you definitely need to make slow changes and monitor your supply. Unfortunately, there is not a one size fits all perfect number. Some women are able to quite successfully cut calories while breast feeding and maintain their supply, others find their supply is easily affected. You will have to experiment to find out which group you fall into. Set your goal to maintenance + breastfeeding calories, and take 100 calories off of that. Monitor your supply. If all is well, try taking another 100 off the next week. If you notice a drop in supply then you went too far for your body, eat maintenance +BF calories for a couple days, hopefully that will encourage your supply return. Then slowly work your way back down to your last successful deficit goal.

Make sure to have formula on hand just in case, don't want the little one going hungry if you do experience a drop in supply.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    JnfrSh123 wrote: »
    I would also like advice on this ... I am logging my bf under the food section which shows it as -500 cal but it isn't taking it into account for my overall daily allowance.

I wanted to clarify this. When you add it as a food you do get an extra 500 calories added to your daily goal, right? If not, the entry you are using isn't working correctly. If it is, then that is how logging it as food should work.

If you want to build it into your daily goal yourself so you don't have to log it every day then you can manually set your calorie goal in the goals tab.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    breastfeeding requires 500-600 extra calories per day, so if MFP set you to 1980, then you really need to aim for about 2480-2580...plus, continue to be aware of nutritional needs, particularly those the baby will get at your expense...it's been a very long time since I was breastfeeding, but if I remember right those are iron, calcium, and omegas...
  • JnfrSh123
    JnfrSh123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    JnfrSh123 wrote: »
    I would also like advice on this ... I am logging my bf under the food section which shows it as -500 cal but it isn't taking it into account for my overall daily allowance.

I wanted to clarify this. When you add it as a food you do get an extra 500 calories added to your daily goal, right? If not, the entry you are using isn't working correctly. If it is, then that is how logging it as food should work.

If you want to build it into your daily goal yourself so you don't have to log it every day then you can manually set your calorie goal in the goals tab.

Thanks for your reply, I am adding it as food and it is showing in my snacks as -500 but not in my overall daily calorie allowance. I will add it manually as you say then I won't have to do it everyday either. Thank you for the post also I'm reading through it now!