Quick Beginner Question.

Options
I am looking to start bulking lean mass. When I put in all my information into my settings and tell My Fitness Pal I want to gain .5 pounds of weight a week, is that in muscle mass. Also, are the macros prescribed to me a limit or a minimum? Thanks.

Replies

• PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would look at a few calorie calculators online and take an average of what your maintenance calories might be since online calculators are not very accurate. Eat a calorie surplus and resistance train. Keep your protein at least 1g/lbs body weight.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1) when gaining weight, not all of it all be muscle mass. In fact 50:50 is normal.

2) If you have entered your information correctly, then the numbers are a goal to reach. Try not to go too far over where possible or you will increase fat gains
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    MFP way underestimates my calorie needs. I had to kick it up over a thousand calories above its default "gain" just to maintain.
    Of course depending on your metabolism and workout intensity YMMV.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    1) when gaining weight, not all of it all be muscle mass. In fact 50:50 is normal.

2) If you have entered your information correctly, then the numbers are a goal to reach. Try not to go too far over where possible or you will increase fat gains

On the 50:50, it's that "normal"? At one point I thought I heard that's considered almost ideal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

On the 50:50, it's that "normal"? At one point I thought I heard that's considered almost ideal.

For newbies, it would probably be considered normal. The more advanced you become, the harder it is to get those numbers.

OP, unfortunately, you need to play with numbers a bit. Personally, I'd run a few calculators and monitor progress over a few weeks/a month and adjust from there.
  • lacedeno22
    lacedeno22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm also new to this. I want to lose some bf and gain muscle mass. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to work on losing the bf first or focus on gains with the expectation/hope that it will simultaneous burn the bf. Any suggestions/thoughts?
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    lacedeno22 wrote: »
    I'm also new to this. I want to lose some bf and gain muscle mass. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to work on losing the bf first or focus on gains with the expectation/hope that it will simultaneous burn the bf. Any suggestions/thoughts?

It would depend on your body fat % -You will gain muscle with less fat gain if you start when you are leaner - just a general rule - Eastcoast Jim