thoroughly disappointed

Options
dear all

i feel like discussing an issue with you guys. my goal is 1200 calories to lose 2.5 pounds a week. when i started curtailing my calories i lost 1 kg in the first week, while in the second week my weight increased by 1 kg. i consume almost 1200-1400 calories but burn 650-700 by walking, which means that my net daily calories range from 500-700 instead of 1200. i wonder if my body has entered the starvation mode or wot. its highly demotivating and i am really worried about it.

Regards

Replies

• HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • fabi8081
    fabi8081 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to eat more calories. The calories given include a deficit alread and then you don't eat your excersie calories your not leaving your body much to work with.
  • Actavella
    Actavella Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh yes for sure your body has entered starvation mode. As a man you should not go below 1800 calories, or more than 1000 calories below your maintenance level of calories, and never below your basal metabolic rate as to not damage your metabolism. I would suggest figuring out what these totals are for you, and working with that. Stay away from refined and processed sugars and focus on fat loss while still incorporating a weight lifting regimen with cardio into your workout routine. Good luck!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    You should be netting 1200 calories a day. You need to eat more.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    What's your weight and bodyfat? If you don't know the BF, what's your height and waist size?
  • Valechka
    Valechka Posts: 192
    Options
    I think you need to eat more, but no sugary or fatty food, better protein, on the days when u do you walks. it happened with me too. I do different fitness a lot, but sometimes is not that hungry, so I start eating protein like fat free plain yogurt with some fruit on top or some chicken breast (not my fav) and start to see weight loss again. Also the less you have to loose the harder it is....
  • musica32
    musica32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to be taking in more calories!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    That's a very low calorie intake for a man... the general recommendation for men is 1500 calories a day (I know these are only general and don't suit everybody, but unless you get medical advice otherwise, I think it is a good guideline to start with).

It's quite possible that your body is panicking about the low calories you are taking in and slowing your metabolism to cope.

If you have a look around this site you will find lots of people who are steadily losing weight eating a whole lot more than that, for most people you just don't have to cut calories so drastically to lose weight, and in fact it can be counterproductive.

I suggest that you recaluculate your goals according to MFP recommendations and eat more - I know you want to lose weight, but you don't have to punish yourself by starving!
  • ejhayes
    ejhayes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's also the kinds of calories not the amount that you eat that also count. I eat pretty healthy and I started this crazy journey on May 30, 2011. I have only lost 7 lbs. and to me it doesn't sound like much, but everyone tells me that this is good. I didn't loose anything for a couple of weeks at all, and it was very annoying. Please be patient, you didn't put on the weight in a couple of weeks, and it should take you a while to loose it as well. It's a life style change and you will get there.
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Why are your calories set so low? I was under the impression that men should have 1500 calories at a minimum - that would be net calories. Try eating more for a week or 2 and see if that helps you start losing. Sometimes it seems weird to increase calories to lose weight, but it does work.
  • Ochunshoney
    Options
    You do need to eat more calories. I would also eat 5 times a day. I think it would help
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Eat, Eat, Eat before you crash and burn! :flowerforyou:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You can continue on the method you are on, but occassionally, you have to increase your calories and take a rest day from exercise. My weight loss had slowed and I took a day off yesterday, went over my calorie goal, and skipped the workout, and I lost 1.8 lbs overnight. You have to change things up once in awhile because your body will adjust and your metabolism will slow down again. Also, the more you lose the less calories you will burn.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Why are your calories set so low? I was under the impression that men should have 1500 calories at a minimum - that would be net calories. Try eating more for a week or 2 and see if that helps you start losing. Sometimes it seems weird to increase calories to lose weight, but it does work.

Caloric intake cannot be generalized like that, it's more accurate to base it on weight, lean body mass, and activity level.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Yes, when you eat only 1200 but burn 500 in exercise, your body isn't getting enough calories and your metabolism slows down, making it really hard to lose weight ("starvation mode"). Another big clue would be if you don't have enough energy. You should feel tired after a workout, but not worn out, and you should bounce back within an hour. If you're dragging through the rest of your day, this is a big clue that your body is just not getting enough!

In general, you shouldn't let your NET get below 1200 or so. That's what you eat minus your exercise calories. And don't overlook the value of a good multi-vitamin. It's very hard to get all the vitamins, etc, you need on just 1200 calories a day. Making sure you are getting enough of all the nutrients can also make a difference in weight loss. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive; even a generic is okay (my OB okayed the generic once-daily women's vitamin in place of pre-natals) and doesn't cost a lot extra.
  • Sweetbuddy71
    Options
    You need to look at how many calories you were consuming before you started entering them on here. Also, 1200 calories is very low and could put anyone’s body into starvation mode, especially if you are not balancing them out throughout the day. Also, do not forget muscle weighs more than fat; it is very common to lose some weight then gain some back. You are going to lose inches before weight. I recommend measuring yourself every 3 to 4 weeks or watch how your clothes are fitting. It takes longer to lose weight than to gain. I hope this helps and don’t give up!!!! =)
  • salmanajmal
    salmanajmal Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What's your weight and bodyfat? If you don't know the BF, what's your height and waist size?

my height is 6 ft. my weight is 95 kg and my waist is 41
  • salmanajmal
    salmanajmal Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your feedback. i never expected such an overwhelming response. i wish i could thank you all in a special way. God bless you all
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    So, according the BMI (flawed I know, but still not a bad guideline) you are overweight, but not obese.
    If you are quite muscley you may even be at or close to a healthy weight.
    The calorie deficit you have chosen seems very extreme for someone who doesn't have a huge amount of weight to lose.
    I'd suggest eat more and exercise to build muscle and burn fat.
  • JNick77
    Options

my height is 6 ft. my weight is 95 kg and my waist is 41

So I just made an assumption that your job is sedentary (not implying anything I just needed some kind of value) and your RMR and work activity would put you about 1900 calories, you're RMR is 1,504. Your sweet spot for weight loss, without consuming exercise calories burnt, is somewhere in-between. If I were going to do this I would start at 1800 see how I feel and work my way down from there.

Also, and maybe you do this already but keep your carbs below 100grams per day will help a ton.