Cals in cals out???

Options
is it really as simple as calories in calories out? I am in maintenance now and have calorie to spare if I start eating some unhealthy foods but still meeting my cal requirement will it slow down my metabolism cos I have only been eating healthy foods for a few month..

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    is it really as simple as calories in calories out? I am in maintenance now and have calorie to spare if I start eating some unhealthy foods but still meeting my cal requirement will it slow down my metabolism cos I have only been eating healthy foods for a few month..
    It is basically about calories in and out. Most people who do maintenance and gain is usually because they will indulge in something that has a high sodium content.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    It's also about what those calories are. You can't eat 1200 calories of ice cream a day and get the same effect as if it were chicken, salads, and veggies.
  • elly0001
    elly0001 Posts: 191
    Options
    It is basically about calories in and out. Most people who do maintenance and gain is usually because they will indulge in something that has a high sodium content.

How does the sodium effect weight gain?
  • elly0001
    Options
    It's also about what those calories are. You can't eat 1200 calories of ice cream a day and get the same effect as if it were chicken, salads, and veggies.

So how much icecream/cake could I eat and still get gd results? Or should I just limit it from my diet pretty much all together?
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I really dont believe its as simple as cals in and cals out... Metabolism is a lot more complicated than that... That said cals in cals out is the simplest way to put it so we can keep track of it and have a certain control....

Beside that learning to love and respect yourself is probably the best way to go... Listen to your hunger and your body.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    if you stay uunder you most likely wont gain unless yours bodys sensitive to a certain food - but still eat healthily you will have much more energy, bad foods bring your body down.
  • elly0001
    Options
    ahk yeah guess thats why theyre called sometimes foods.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    As far as losing weight it's calories in vs calories out, and hitting your macronutrients daily.

Food type does not matter in regards to weight loss.
  • elly0001
    Options
    thanks for all that :)
  • sweetly_spicy
    sweetly_spicy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's not as simple as calories in, calories out... for everyone, that is. Most people do follow that formula, but if you have a Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, diabetes, or other metabolic diseases it isn't that simple. Sugars build up in your internal organs and can change your metabolism. It is also hard if you have yoyo dieted for years, as you have been "telling" your body that sometimes you will have periods where very little food is available, and thus it should hold on to the fat it has, just in case.

The human body is not an engine.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I agree with it isn't that simple as calories in vs calories out. There are more variables as to what you are eating.
  • elly0001
    Options
    hmm guess i'll just eat mainly healthy and stay within my calorie limits and hopefully i'll be right :)