Can u check my diary?

Options

Replies

• esmerelda9479
    esmerelda9479 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Are you getting exercise? try to start with a 20 minute walk every day. Also, increase your water intake. I'm not a fan of protein bars myself. I know they work for some people but I'd rather have calories in nuts or protein like cottage cheese.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    In terms of your diary, though, I would note that it does not look like you are actually weighing your snacks - those could be one place where calories are adding up. Prepackaged stuff is often much larger than the estimated portion, and nutrition labels can be off up to 20% in the US, but you can at least compare the weight to the grams listed.

It might actually save some calories too. I have been weighing all of my prepackaged foods lately and, besides meat and bread, most ALL of my prepacked foods weigh less :o My darn yogurt cups keep coming up 135g instead of 150g. I guess it doesn't help a company's profit margin to constantly be packing more food into a package. However, back to point, it's important to weight everything if you are concerned about problems with your logging.

I have never, ever had a yogurt cup weigh what it's supposed to! They are always less than it says on the package, never spot on or more. Bread and most everything else is always more than it says on the package.

Do all successful mfp people really weigh their bread, yogurt, protein bar, etc? I thought for what I read here people get more strict when they have the last 10-20 pound to lose or something, but I have 130lbs still to go. For that extra 20% when labels are off I precisely Dont eat the full 1400 cals most days.

I don't speak for all successful mfp people. I speak for me. I've lost 100+ lb in the past 18 months. I do weigh my bread, but I also bake my own bread. The times I use a commercial bun, I weigh it, too. The cookies, get weighed. The granola bar, gets weighed. The butter on my bread, gets weighed. The kale in my smoothie, gets weighed. The ice cream, the yogurt, the caramel syrup on the ice cream, it all gets weighed.

Wow awesome, probably have heard a million time but so much congratulation!! I spend over 12h daily driving, what Im going to do it's get another scale and leave it in the car so I can weigh the snacks. The other stuff I already do it at night when I meal prep for the day before.
  • karyabc
    Options
    Are you getting exercise? try to start with a 20 minute walk every day. Also, increase your water intake. I'm not a fan of protein bars myself. I know they work for some people but I'd rather have calories in nuts or protein like cottage cheese.

Believe me when I say I loveee cottage chesse, its not that Im the biggest fan of protein bars but I dont have access to fridge, microwave or anything so they become very helpful. Lately Im eating almonds and unsalted peanuts.
    Im scare to ask lol but according to science and mfp if everything is about CICO I should very well lose the weight without the exercise correct? , exercise is just an extra step for health?
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Nope, you do not need to exercise to lose the weight. As long as you are using MFPs calorie goal and your activity level is set to sedentary.

Do you have a small cooler and ice packs? You'd be able to take cottage cheese and yogurt with you.
  • MommaGem2017
    Options
    Excellent! Now you'll have many more options to bring with you!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    In terms of your diary, though, I would note that it does not look like you are actually weighing your snacks - those could be one place where calories are adding up. Prepackaged stuff is often much larger than the estimated portion, and nutrition labels can be off up to 20% in the US, but you can at least compare the weight to the grams listed.

It might actually save some calories too. I have been weighing all of my prepackaged foods lately and, besides meat and bread, most ALL of my prepacked foods weigh less :o My darn yogurt cups keep coming up 135g instead of 150g. I guess it doesn't help a company's profit margin to constantly be packing more food into a package. However, back to point, it's important to weight everything if you are concerned about problems with your logging.

I have never, ever had a yogurt cup weigh what it's supposed to! They are always less than it says on the package, never spot on or more. Bread and most everything else is always more than it says on the package.

Do all successful mfp people really weigh their bread, yogurt, protein bar, etc? I thought for what I read here people get more strict when they have the last 10-20 pound to lose or something, but I have 130lbs still to go. For that extra 20% when labels are off I precisely Dont eat the full 1400 cals most days.

I think that it's true that many people only become stricter with their weighing when they have less to lose, but any time someone says they aren't losing when they should be, the first question is always going to be "are you weighing your food?" Diets vary so dramatically that it's hard to say when and where someone might get hung up, but tightening up your logging is always a good step to take if you aren't getting the results you want.

I actually feel fairly confident that I could stop logging entirely and keep losing weight for a while, but I figure being diligent now won't hurt me later.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have a scale at home and a scale at work. They're now like gym memberships. I paid for them, I'm going to use them. Today I even weighed my can of tuna. It's so easy, why not? @karyabc you may need also to have something like a briefcase or a lap desk in your car so that your scale can have a chance of working on a solid surface. They can be, as my dad would say, squentientious.
  • Pepsab
    Pepsab Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    How much water do you drink? Perhaps you need to increase this. Ive completely changed my diet and although it hasnt been long the weight is not dropping off so now ill add in the walking.
  • karyabc
    Options
    arwu6jr924f7.jpg

Good morning, Those asking for my water intake, this one daily with ice almost everyday comes home empty.

On another note, I jump in the scale today went from 283.8 to 284.4 lbs.

In the same note, I'm doing this together with my brother, he knows nothing about mfp, calorie counting, cero weigh food, cero exercise and every week consistly 3-4lbs less. Dont bother explain the why, I know why and every week its the same, "sis I told u, you taking things to extreme"

My daddy today, well I keep telling you should eat lettuce, lettuce its water and stop those shakes, thats making you gain weight".

Ugh.

• karyabc
    Options
    In terms of your diary, though, I would note that it does not look like you are actually weighing your snacks - those could be one place where calories are adding up. Prepackaged stuff is often much larger than the estimated portion, and nutrition labels can be off up to 20% in the US, but you can at least compare the weight to the grams listed. Also, to be super blunt (since you asked for advice), if you weight 283 lbs I assume that you weren't eating anything remotely like this a month ago - you're really setting yourself up for failure if you try to make a bunch of drastic changes all at once, and there are many ways you might be sabotaging yourself that someone on the internet would never be able to guess. I mean, maybe you really love eating brown rice and chicken breasts and broccoli, but unless you were eating truly massive portions of those before, I'm guessing you're trying to follow a very restrictive diet that isn't likely to be sustainable.

DON'T BELIEVE THIS. It's doable trust me. You're only setting yourself up for failure if you believe you are. I can't believe people tell other people this. If you're serious about this drastic change it will turn out in your favour!

I started at 230lbs. I have been on MFP for 72 days and have lost 40 pounds. Drastic worked for me and maybe it'll work for you. But IF you listen to people telling you you will FAIL, THEN you will. Believe in yourself.

P.S. Drink LOTS of water

This is my day #48 and nowhere close to your lost. For you to lost 40 pounds in 72 days, that comes like 4lbs per week, I dont know what you call drastic, I thought I was already drastic enough, mfp says 1400 and hang around in 1250-1300 or so and I'm 50+ pounds heavy than when you started.

But congrats on your lost anyway, glad to see you found what works for you.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should be eating more for numerous reasons. Remember that eventually as you lose weight you will need to lower your calories. If they are already low to begin with you may find that it is really hard to stick with and may end up falling off the wagon. It is easier to start higher and slowly cut then try to later and feel like you are starving. Also for your weight they should be higher. MFP set my weight at 1200 as I have a desk job. I started around 1800 and still eat around 1500-1600 a day and I have less than 100 pounds than you do . We are all anxious to lose quickly but it is about making changes to last a lifetime.

Also things like nuts can really add up in the calorie dept if you aren't weighing them. It can be hard but start with a few favourites and portion them out ahead of time so you don't have to do it everyday

10116386.png
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Pepsab wrote: »
    How much water do you drink? Perhaps you need to increase this. Ive completely changed my diet and although it hasnt been long the weight is not dropping off so now ill add in the walking.

That's what I was just about to post. (Well, the water part, at least.) I was shocked to see what I was *actually* drinking in a day compared to what a woman of my weight is supposed to drink. I've started seeing a new dietitian, and she concurred that skimping on the hydration will lead to more water retention.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Look, there might be people out there who lost weight eating nothing but grapefruit and lemon water for months, AND somehow have managed to keep it off for years. There are lots of fish in the sea. But we know for a fact that the vast, vast majority of people who lose weight via crash diets fail because they treat dieting as a one time, extreme thing, and then regain the weight - and generally some more than where they started - as soon as they accomplish their weight loss goal, assuming that they even can maintain that extreme deficit long enough to get to their goal in the first place. I believe that telling someone to lose weight as quickly as possible by any means necessary without considering how they will maintain their lower weight is deeply irresponsible.

Not sure why you think 1400 is a crash diet. MFP gives me a 1200 calorie goal. I eat awesome filling meals I just choose lower calorie options of everything. At my final goal weight my maintenance cals will be about 1700. That's only 500 calories more. So ya, this is for life.

You're right, if you're treating it as a one time thing then it won't stick. So don't treat it like that?

Before I started here I was eating probably 3000+ calories a day. So if you would have told me to just "cut out that one piece of pizza" I still would have been gaining weight. Why is it so wrong to go right to eating what you're supposed to be eating and not take baby steps?
    You're plenty drastic enough--weight loss ease varies from person to person. The person you're responding to just seems extra proud of her numbers and anxious to talk about them.

I'm sorry. I thought this was the place to be extra proud and anxious to talk about results. Or am I not on a weightloss forum?
  • candilc9
    candilc9 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Measure your waist!!! When you start exercising, that darn scale will throw you off!!! Measure, measure, measure! My weight goes up and down, but my clothes fit differently. You're not trying to loose just weight, you're trying to lose fat! There's a difference. The scale doesn't always show that. Also link an Accupedo app to your phone if you don't wear a pedometer, then link that to MFP, aim for 7000 to 10,000 steps a day. Dance, walk in place while watching videos, just keep moving! Watch your macros, try to get all that protein in. I throw either 100% whey or organic plant based protein in my coffee with some cashew or almond milk if my protein is low for the day. I have some horrible cheat days...but still losing. You can do it! You can look at my diary if you want.
  • MommaGem2017
    Options
    Look, there might be people out there who lost weight eating nothing but grapefruit and lemon water for months, AND somehow have managed to keep it off for years. There are lots of fish in the sea. But we know for a fact that the vast, vast majority of people who lose weight via crash diets fail because they treat dieting as a one time, extreme thing, and then regain the weight - and generally some more than where they started - as soon as they accomplish their weight loss goal, assuming that they even can maintain that extreme deficit long enough to get to their goal in the first place. I believe that telling someone to lose weight as quickly as possible by any means necessary without considering how they will maintain their lower weight is deeply irresponsible.

Not sure why you think 1400 is a crash diet. MFP gives me a 1200 calorie goal. I eat awesome filling meals I just choose lower calorie options of everything. At my final goal weight my maintenance cals will be about 1700. That's only 500 calories more. So ya, this is for life.

You're right, if you're treating it as a one time thing then it won't stick. So don't treat it like that?

Before I started here I was eating probably 3000+ calories a day. So if you would have told me to just "cut out that one piece of pizza" I still would have been gaining weight. Why is it so wrong to go right to eating what you're supposed to be eating and not take baby steps?
    You're plenty drastic enough--weight loss ease varies from person to person. The person you're responding to just seems extra proud of her numbers and anxious to talk about them.

I'm sorry. I thought this was the place to be extra proud and anxious to talk about results. Or am I not on a weightloss forum?

The advice against really drastic changes is because, most people, after they make super drastic changes to their diets, get super hungry or tired, aren't losing up to high expectations, and eventually just quit. If she can eat more and still lose weight at a healthy rate, then she should. It leads to a more sustainable change in the long run. I don't eat lo-cal, sugar free everything, because I dont like it and I won't keep eating it at maintenance. I eat foods I like, but a more modest portion. If the OP can eat more than 1400 caps and still lose at a reasonable rate, then why shouldn't she?

Of course we want to cheer and share our successes, but insisting that all others disregard sound advice and do it just like you did it is going to be met with resistance.