Emotional eater? How do you deal?

Options
2»

Replies

• lydia4462
    lydia4462 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try the Just for Today" approach. When your craving hits, tell yourself, (or better yet, write it down) that Just for Today you will not give in to the crave for the frappe because it's emotional and instead you will reward yourself with.......(fill in the blank.)

Take it one day at a time. I think you'll begin to feel empowered that you did not give in to the side of you that tried to tempt you.

• familygoal1
    familygoal1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yoga.
    Going for a short walk for some fresh air. Take water to drink.
    Sometimes just writing your thoughts on a piece of paper.

Try to do something that relaxes and gives you a chance to reset that's not food related.
  • igarcia13
    igarcia13 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    lydia4462 wrote: »
    Try the Just for Today" approach. When your craving hits, tell yourself, (or better yet, write it down) that Just for Today you will not give in to the crave for the frappe because it's emotional and instead you will reward yourself with.......(fill in the blank.)

Take it one day at a time. I think you'll begin to feel empowered that you did not give in to the side of you that tried to tempt you.
    Thank you. I like this "one day at a time" approach.

• highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Defintely take it as 'today' ... i stopped thinking long term because the numbers and the thought of it gets overwhelming and you start to get thoughts like 'i'll never get there'....

I found early on that blogging / writing / journalling you day was useful - write down what you did well ... brain dump out all the emotion and crap that went on ... just get rid of it ...

Also .. whenever you feel that draw to something that you know you would end up over-eating on (having and logging nice things is fine if you account for it) i try and talk to myself... at the weekend i had a decent amount of calories left for the day and was almost ready to order in a massive pizza which i would have ended up eating alone and would have ended up probably 2k cals over on the day .... i was hovering over the 'order' button on the site.... i asked myself why ... i ended up having this inner discussion with myself for a good few minutes before negotiating an alternative .... yes i still went over on the day .. but only be at most 10% rather than 200%

But i agreed with myself that i would be ok with that today as i'd been under daily for past few weeks so why not have a nice treat but having the excessive takeout would have been excessive

I do this a lot ... but i have found nice alternatives .... that i genuinely love but are a good controlled amount so i can have them regularly 100% guilt free

Takes time .... we have a lot of baggage we need to learn to set aside one day .... but take it 1 at a time ... this isn't a race .. none of us is perfect :)

You'll get there day by day and slowly you will start to feel in control of things more and more and that's a critical step ... for the 1st time in my adult life i feel that i have a good degree of control (not total) over my impulses / cravings... but it's taken 8 months so far ... but 1 day at a time....