Yoga and back pain?

Options
Good evening all.
Can anyone recommend some brand name/names of yogis who have yoga videos online for people trying to lessen lower back pain via yoga? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    One would think you'd have to know what's causing your back pain before you can treat it.

• librarian11111
    librarian11111 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    What is causing/caused my back pain is the following: years ago, I would carry too much on my back on my way to work. Now, I can throw my back out when merely putting my laptop over my shoulder--or sometimes I wake up finding myself having slept on my side. I have no slipped disks or anything like that--I've been X-rayed for all that. But the chiropractor visits seem to have less success with my back pain. So I'd like to try yoga. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't start with yoga from videos. Getting the correct form is important, and difficult to do as a beginner even when following the best video.
    Find a style of yoga, class, and instructor that suits you and your needs.

I do iyengar yoga which focuses on the bodies alignment and I would suggest this is one form you should consider.

Cheers, h.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have a "bad back" and I find that yoga and a good mattress help A LOT. I like Yoga with Adrienne. She has a whole series of videos but this one in particular on youtube is a good fairly simple beginner friendly series of poses. I've done yoga at home and in classes and most of the poses she does here are the ones I will do after a long day or when my back is bugging me. Good luck!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phuS5VLQy8c
  • _NicLovin_
    _NicLovin_ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I like using YogaGlo. It has some great programs, and lots of restorative classes for back pain.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't start with yoga from videos. Getting the correct form is important, and difficult to do as a beginner even when following the best video.

I do iyengar yoga which focuses on the bodies alignment and I would suggest this is one form you should consider.

Cheers, h.

I would agree with this.
    I have done yoga for years - it has alleviated backpain a lot and has been very beneficial. But I tool classes for the first few years to learn the correct form. You can do som serious damage if not doing it right most certainly if your back is as sensitive as you claim.
    So find a class, posibly some private lessons and learn before you venture to video work outs
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Options

Cheers, h.

I would second this. If your form is terrible, you could make your back worse. Forget about watching videos. Get yourself physically to a yoga class with a good yoga instructor after you have done your research and they will help you with your form.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Cheers, h.
    Agreed. I'd not start with a video (at first). I'd want to make sure I found a good yoga STUDIO (not the Y, etc.) and learn proper form. You could hurt yourself more if you just wing it.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    One would think you'd have to know what's causing your back pain before you can treat it.

This.

When my back was jacked up, yoga hurt it more than anything else I did. You have to know what kind of injury/pain you're working with so you can work *with* it, not against it.
  • Holly_981
    Holly_981 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'd probably go to a class with an experienced instructor before doing anything at home
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I like Jen Hilman and PsycheTruth they both do a good job instructing beginners on youtube
  • Bordergirl14
    Bordergirl14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Pretty much agree with everything said. Videos are convenient but you can really hurt yourself if you don't have correct form and adaptations. Yoga can really help with back pain if you have the "all clear" from your doctor. Find a class with a teacher who is comfortable working with your injury and uses props. Yoga isn't supposed to hurt so if the teacher encourages you to go into pain, find a new teacher. Definitely check into private sessions. Good luck!
  • librarian11111
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! I will look for a yoga class in town today. Hope you all have a great week!
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    What is causing/caused my back pain is the following: years ago, I would carry too much on my back on my way to work. Now, I can throw my back out when merely putting my laptop over my shoulder--or sometimes I wake up finding myself having slept on my side. I have no slipped disks or anything like that--I've been X-rayed for all that. But the chiropractor visits seem to have less success with my back pain. So I'd like to try yoga. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This sounds like more of poor strength and possibly posture.

I would incorporate some strength training with Starting Strength program as you will see better results than yoga alone.

Also chiros...just don't.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! I will look for a yoga class in town today. Hope you all have a great week!

If you get a chance please report back with what you find. Don't be afraid to shop around and try a couple of different styles and instructors.

When me and my SO started yoga we were lucky enough to have friends that highly recommended out instructor and Iyengar yoga to help with SO's lack of flexibility. She is a registered nurse as well as a yogi of many decades, and is wonderful at knowing, and working with, everyone's physical peccadilloes.

Cheers, h.
  • librarian11111
    Options
    To all: I found out today (after an emergency appointment with the chiropractor--as the pain got worse overnight) that I have degenerative disc disease (a/k/a degenerative joint disease.) The Doc gave me stretching exercises which he said would help. He cautioned me when taking yoga not to keep up with the instructor (which in my condition--slight pain every day--I have no intention of doing if it's painful.)
    Chieflrg: if you don't like chiropractors--whom do you recommend I see? Physical therapists? Other? Also, thank you Chiflrg for asking what the cause was. I foolishly assumed I just "threw out my back" doing something (i.e. weight lifting) that I shouldn't do. Though until I do my research on DDD and DJD I'm proceeding with caution. Thanks again to all who responded
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    To all: I found out today (after an emergency appointment with the chiropractor--as the pain got worse overnight) that I have degenerative disc disease (a/k/a degenerative joint disease.) The Doc gave me stretching exercises which he said would help. He cautioned me when taking yoga not to keep up with the instructor (which in my condition--slight pain every day--I have no intention of doing if it's painful.)
    Chieflrg: if you don't like chiropractors--whom do you recommend I see? Physical therapists? Other? Also, thank you Chiflrg for asking what the cause was. I foolishly assumed I just "threw out my back" doing something (i.e. weight lifting) that I shouldn't do. Though until I do my research on DDD and DJD I'm proceeding with caution. Thanks again to all who responded

I would see a physical therapist. They can give you exercises and stretches that will help. Most likely they'll haver you working to strengthen your core and your glutes.
  • Bordergirl14
    Bordergirl14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    He cautioned me when taking yoga not to keep up with the instructor (which in my condition--slight pain every day--I have no intention of doing if it's painful.)

Yes. That's where the private session may come in handy. This would be an opportunity to get more familiar with safe poses for you. In a class, a good teacher will offer modifications but if not, you may be tempted to just follow along because you don't know any differently. Despite being a class, it is still meant to be an individual practice. Listen to your body. Hope you get some relief.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Look up Boston Medical Center Program for Integrative Medicine & Healthcare Disparities Back to Health Trial.
    The yoga program they have come up with helps when my back goes out.
  • Chieflrg
    Options

I wouldon't trust a physical therapist that didn't utilize a barbell as part of recovery Not in a million years.

I have a progressive joint disease and was crippled until I started strength training again.

If your interested in training and bare bones good advice PM me I can give you names of very strong doctors who also train people of all health problems to get stronger. Depending where you live they can even be your primary doctor online.