Cold and Flu Season Prep!!

Options
Hey Everyone!

Just wondering what everyone does to prepare for the impending (or current!!) cold and flu season. I work in healthcare and I see sick people allllllll day long so here's what I've been doing to prepare my immune system!!

Daily Supplements:

- New Chapter Organics Probiotic Immunity - 1 cap in the morning, 1 before bed
- Rainbow Light Sunny Gummy Vitamin D (1000 units) - 1 gummy drop (10 calories) every morning
- New Chapter Organics Stress Support Multivitamin - 3 tablets every morning
- Natural Sources Elderberry Concentrate - 1 tbsp (50 calories) every morning
- Emergen-C Pink Lemonade (1000mg Vitamin C) - 1 packet every morning

Although I don't like the added calories I may start taking Fish Oil capsules daily as well - or the flavored Cod Liver Oil I have in the refrigerator - to fight off the drying power of the New England cold weather. It makes a huge difference in my skin and hair if I can just get myself to take it regularly!

What do you guys do to bulk up your immune system and/or fight off the winter cold and all its effects??

Replies

• BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I take:
    D3 (5000 units)
    C
    low dose zinc
    a good whole foods multivitamin
    fish oil (1000 units)

I avoid:
    sugary treats
    processed foods

My husband is a school teacher and brings home all kinds of "wonderful" germs. Last 2 years, I've not gotten sick from what he's brought home. He even had swine flu 2 yrs ago and was home for a week, sooooooo sick, but I didn't get it. We also watch our neighbors' kids 2 days a week off the bus. They are always sick, it seems, even though they do JuicePlus. Taking what we do has kept us healthy.

I really think good exercise also helps our body's immune system to stay strong.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I don't take any precautions for cold or flu. I've never had the flu either, nor a flu shot. I'm not in the target demographic for the flu shot anymore so it's no biggy. If I do get sick, I take plenty of dayquil, niquil, orange juice, kool-aid, and hot tea. I'm not big on supplements.
    I avoid:
    sugary treats
    processed foods
    I wouldn't be able to eat if I avoided those things. That's what I live off of right now!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C if I feel something coming on. I don't get sick much.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I avoid:
    sugary treats
    processed foods
    I wouldn't be able to eat if I avoided those things. That's what I live off of right now!
    [/quote]

I find that if I eat stuff that's mostly sugar or is really processed, I'm really suspectible to getting sick. That's just my body's reaction. Usually, I can tell that I'm headed that way and take extra supplements and more water.

(I've also never had the flu shot.)
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!

Just wondering what everyone does to prepare for the impending (or current!!) cold and flu season. I work in healthcare and I see sick people allllllll day long so here's what I've been doing to prepare my immune system!!

Daily Supplements:

- New Chapter Organics Probiotic Immunity - 1 cap in the morning, 1 before bed
    - Rainbow Light Sunny Gummy Vitamin D (1000 units) - 1 gummy drop (10 calories) every morning
    - New Chapter Organics Stress Support Multivitamin - 3 tablets every morning
    - Natural Sources Elderberry Concentrate - 1 tbsp (50 calories) every morning
    - Emergen-C Pink Lemonade (1000mg Vitamin C) - 1 packet every morning

Although I don't like the added calories I may start taking Fish Oil capsules daily as well - or the flavored Cod Liver Oil I have in the refrigerator - to fight off the drying power of the New England cold weather. It makes a huge difference in my skin and hair if I can just get myself to take it regularly!

What do you guys do to bulk up your immune system and/or fight off the winter cold and all its effects??

Where do you buy cod liver oil....we used to take Father John as kids
  • goldengirl111
    Options
    I take:
    D3 (5000 units)
    C
    low dose zinc
    fish oil (1000 units)

I avoid:
    sugary treats
    processed foods

My husband is a school teacher and brings home all kinds of "wonderful" germs. Last 2 years, I've not gotten sick from what he's brought home. He even had swine flu 2 yrs ago and was home for a week, sooooooo sick, but I didn't get it. We also watch our neighbors' kids 2 days a week off the bus. They are always sick, it seems, even though they do JuicePlus. Taking what we do has kept us healthy.

I really think good exercise also helps our body's immune system to stay strong.

Vitamin c
    Water
    Homemade chicken soup
    Usually lemon water or diluted orange juice
    Hot tea
    Rest
    Well this is before and if I get sick
  • goldengirl111
    Options
    Ineed to start taking the multivitamins again
  • goldengirl111
    Options
    I take:
    D3 (5000 units)
    C
    low dose zinc
    fish oil (1000 units)

I avoid:
    sugary treats
    processed foods

Wish I could say I avoided treat...no appetite the first couple of days...but the next 2 I did eat ice cream bars.
  • amos41
    amos41 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Vitamin c 1000mg
    Echinacea
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I just keep inhalers, tea, and chicken bullion on hand.