Are oats for breakfast actually good for weight loss?

Options
Is oatmeal a good choice for breakfast when trying to lose weight? I tend to avoid carbs until after I've worked out, so breakfast is usually some kind of eggs with spinach or similar. However, I keep reading places that oats are a great start to the day, but don't want to jeaporsise my low carb eating. I'm thinking of prepping overnight oats, with almond milk, protein, chai seeds, PB2 and berries for a grab and go breakfast on work mornings. After some thoughts on whether this would be a good breakfast choice or whether I'm better off sticking to eggs.

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I am high "good carbs" and losing. It's all about staying within my daily calorie goal.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    not for me, as i don't find it very filling.

depends if it fits your calories and macros for the day?
  • BananaJoanna
    BananaJoanna Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I find a good-sized portion of Overnight Oats (which I am eating right now!) will usually keep me satisfied right until lunch, cutting out the need for a mid-morning snack. I don't experience the same with eggs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether you find them filling or not. I don't (and I have to put 300 calories of stuff to make them taste like something else than cardboard too).

And for some reason overnight oats fill me up even less.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calories and macro goals and you find it satisfying, why not?

But if your goal is to be low carbohydrate, oats aren't necessarily compatible with that (unless you're okay with reducing carbohydrates elsewhere in your meals to make room for them).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Neither good nor bad, depends on if you like them and find them satisfying, what your carb goal is, and how important it is to you.

I have them occasionally, but not often, as other breakfasts more often appeal to me/fit my goals.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Oats, almond milk, fruit, some walnuts and greek yogurt are a great way for me to start the day. I even add cinnamon or cocao powder for a bit more flavour. Around 400 calories and I am full until lunch. However, others would not find this filling or enjoyable. You really have to find what works for you.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    There really is no such thing as "good breakfast food for weight loss" except for whatever food or lack of food gets you off to a start in keeping to a deficit. That might be an egg mcmuffin, fasting, or anything in between.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It depends on how many oats you are eating..what you are adding to them and if it fits in and if you stay in a deficit.

I don't eat them at all anymore (and I love oatmeal) because I don't find I hit my protein goal as easy if I do and I find the more protein I eat the easier it is for me to adhere to my goals.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think so. People always say protein is most filling, but personally I find a high fiber, lower protein breakfast like oatmeal, or even mini wheats keeps me full much longer than a high protein, low fiber breakfast like eggs. Of course, both protein and fiber is best if you have the time (oatmeal +hardboiled egg is the best). But I think this is one of those things where everyone is different. I see some posters saying that oatmeal doesn't keep them full, so it varies from person to person.

Bottom line, what makes it a good thing for weight loss, besides being within your calorie goal, is satiety. If it keeps you full and therefore keeps you from other mindless eating, it's good for weight loss
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Oats, almond milk, fruit, some walnuts and greek yogurt are a great way for me to start the day. I even add cinnamon or cocao powder for a bit more flavour. Around 400 calories and I am full until lunch. However, others would not find this filling or enjoyable. You really have to find what works for you.

Agree, I recently started adding walnuts and fruit to Greek yogurt, it's a very good filling breakfast between the fats in the nuts and the protein in the yogurt
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I eat oats M-F with nuts and raisins or craisins. I about 2 lbs from goal.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    It depends on how many oats you are eating..what you are adding to them and if it fits in and if you stay in a deficit.

I don't eat them at all anymore (and I love oatmeal) because I don't find I hit my protein goal as easy if I do and I find the more protein I eat the easier it is for me to adhere to my goals.

Have you tried savoury oats? Cooked pretty much the same but with an egg or two added. I also add mushrooms and spinich. Slightly higher in calories but high in fibre, protein and fats.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I have porridge in the winter sometimes with a tablespoon of maple syrup, and it does fill me up for longer than granola. But ist more calories and I prefer granola.
    As others have said its about your overall calories - if that fills you up for longer than the eggs so you don't need a snack (or can have a smaller one) then its "good" for weight loss. Carbs are not evil, unless you have a specific health reason to reduce carbs - i.e. the Dr told you to! - then don't worry about the carbs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. For me, if I eat before 12pm, it seems like I keep wanting to eat. When I track myself those days, I tend to snack more every couple of hours.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Stationagentjules
    Stationagentjules Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Morning carbs make me want to eat carb heavy all day. I enjoy oats occasionally but I eat them late in the day and not specifically for weight loss. Everyone is different though.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Have you tried savoury oats? Cooked pretty much the same but with an egg or two added. I also add mushrooms and spinich. Slightly higher in calories but high in fibre, protein and fats.

I think I may need to try this!!
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I make overnight oats with protein powder, milk of choice (usually unsweetened cashew for me,) 40g quick cook oatmeal. Sometimes I add a little peanut butter, or fruit, or low sugar jam, etc. Sometimes grated zucchini if I have it. Sometimes I just mix the powder, oats and milk up, then let it sit overnight. This is a common breakfast for me, and it easily fits within my caloric goals.

I think it's personal preference. I just eat food and look at my totals for the whole day- I don't purposely eat certain macros only at certain times of the day. I don't think oatmeal necessarily makes a "better" breakfast than an omelet, or a breakfast sandwich, etc. Just depends on your goals and preferences and how you prepare the breakfast: ingredients, cooking method, etc.