Lifting or cardio

Options
badgerpam22
badgerpam22 Posts: 182 Member
edited August 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Which is better to do first. I'm hoping to lose weight and tone up. So do I do cardio then weigh machines. Or weight machines then cardio. Suggestions on what's better to lose weight and tone?!
Comment or add me and message. Thanks!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of personal preference and dependent on goals. If your main goal is to increase strength, lifting first would likely be better (you're fresher for it.) If it's to increase cardiovascular endurance or performance, do cardio first. If you're equally interested in them, do whatever you'd like.
  • yondaime8
    yondaime8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Cardio before lifting will reduce your strength output during your lifting sets.
    Imho, there's no correct answer to this question, it all depends on your goals (short term goals even). If you want to focus on weight loss while creating some muscle mass yes, do your cardio before lifting. If you are attempting to gain muscle mass all while maintaining a healthy cardiovascular condition and why not shed a few grams of fat away then put your cardio portion at the end of the workout. It's all about energy management really :smile:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Most will say it doesn't matter and it's about your goals and which is more important, blah blah blah
    That said, I'm a proponent of lifting first. If you're going to strength train, do it 1st while you have the energy so that you can lift as heavy as needed and with proper form. Doing cardio in a slightly fatigued state isn't going to hurt anyone.
  • yondaime8
    yondaime8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Most will say it doesn't matter and it's about your goals and which is more important, blah blah blah
    That said, I'm a proponent of lifting first. If you're going to strength train, do it 1st while you have the energy so that you can lift as heavy as needed and with proper form. Doing cardio in a slightly fatigued state isn't going to hurt anyone.

Except when you have actual cardio related goals. Sometimes I hop in the gym aiming for a number of calories (did that Sunday as a challenge for example) or distance related if you run. In those cases, fatigue may make things really difficult for you. But I see your point in the case that your aim in cardio is just getting your heart pumping for a few minutes.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Or another option is do them on different days. My goals included getting the most out of both. So, on the days I lift, I warm up and devote full energy to that. On the days I do cardio, the same. They don't have to be done on the same day.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Or another option is do them on different days. My goals included getting the most out of both. So, on the days I lift, I warm up and devote full energy to that. On the days I do cardio, the same. They don't have to be done on the same day.

This is what I do as I have a similar goal. On the rare occasions that I do double up, I will always lift first then do cardio because of what @rybo said and also, the potential of injury from being fatigued is higher with lifting than cardio in my opinion.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I like getting the most out of both so I typically do them on separate days or if it's the same day it's typically an AM/PM thing, not in the same session. The only caveat there is that on Saturday or Sunday I lift and I usually ride my bike to and from the gym...but it's not really a training ride...more of a warm-up and cool down as it's only about 4.5 miles each way and I ride those miles pretty slow...

ETA: it also depends on whether or not I'm training for something or just keeping up with my fitness...if I'm training for a cycling event, my focus is on cycling and putting time in the saddle...I might only lift once per week. If I'm just keeping up with my fitness I take a more balanced approach. I also like to throw in an afternoon of rock climbing a few days per month...
  • Chase_The_Pain
    Chase_The_Pain Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    When you do cardio first, you deplete all of the glycogen stores needed for lifting which will reduce your work output. So the right thing to do is lift, then do cardio.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options

This is how I do it too. I walk a couple of miles every day on my breaks from work, but other than that little bit of walking, lifting days are for lifting only, and running days are for running. Neither workout would be as good if I were trying to do both.

• mmapags
    Options
    When you do cardio first, you deplete all of the glycogen stores needed for lifting which will reduce your work output. So the right thing to do is lift, then do cardio.

True if you do a lot of cardio. Like a couple of hours worth. It is not easy to deplete glycogen.
  • badgerpam22
    badgerpam22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks yall, I really appreciate the help and input! Kinda hoping to get this underway! Somethings gotta give, right?
  • Chase_The_Pain
    edited August 2017
    Options

True if you do a lot of cardio. Like a couple of hours worth. It is not easy to deplete glycogen.

Yeah, if you're just going through the motions. If I do 20-30 minutes of cardio beforehand, my output is tanked. I suppose it depends on intensity and workload
  • mmapags
    Options

Yeah, if you're just going through the motions. If I do 20-30 minutes of cardio beforehand, my output is tanked. I suppose it depends on intensity and workload

I agree that your energy and output may be tanked after an intense 20 or 30 minutes. I experinece the same. But that doesn't mean you depleted glycogen in that time.
  • Chase_The_Pain
    Options

I agree that your energy and output may be tanked after an intense 20 or 30 minutes. I experinece the same. But that doesn't mean you depleted glycogen in that time.
    It doesn't mean that you didn't. I have research bookmarked somewhere where they took biopsies of muscle samples from doing cardio before, and one from doing weight training before, and it was pretty convincing. I did say depleted, but I didn't mean 100% depleted, that's my fault.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I agree with this for sure.

I do both on my workout days...so today I go home do my dead lifts then go for a walk...yesterday OHP then a run...