Book lovers?

Options
lyssamichelle
lyssamichelle Posts: 1,307 Member
I love talking about books. I have a book blog and everything lol. It hardly gets used though. I tend to stick with YA books. It's not all I read, I love the Sookie Stackhouse books. I haven't had time to read in a while.

Replies

• lyssamichelle
    Options
    Right now I'm reading Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris and Lord of Shadow by Cassandra Clare. LoS returned itself to the library on my tablet so I have to wait til it's available to finish. I'm really enjoying it.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    read this

so hard boiled, you'll chip a tooth on it

07JFK8-blog427.jpg
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    amelissa66 wrote: »
    i love to read. i just read war of the roosevelts its such a great book. i read mostly non fiction.

non-fiction?

then you'll love this:

81R8JBnF6eL.jpg
  • lyssamichelle
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    read this

07JFK8-blog427.jpg

That actually sounds really good.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    read this

07JFK8-blog427.jpg

That actually sounds really good.

yeah, Ellroy can be a lil' difficult to get used to.... his style is quite unique.
  • lyssamichelle
    Options
    I'm going to see of its available on the library app.. thanks for the recommendation. I love reading books with unique styles. Hard to find sometimes.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I just happened to read a pretty good YA book a few weeks ago, Ramona Blue by Julie Murphy.

The author is getting a bit of flak about her portrayal of the main character's sexuality, but I loved the book and thought it was a fantastic and current voice for non-rural Southern poverty. Very good!
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I got to about book 10 with the Sookie Stackhouse books but then it just got WAY too goofy for me - much like the show. I had to stop at season 4.

A YA series that I liked was The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong. I read that one a long time ago and loved it. There were two more I think, that came after it.

At the moment I'm reading the Phryne Fisher books. They're crime novels set in the 20s - she's a female detective in Australia. They're very easy reads and I'm breezing right through them.

Do you dog-ear the pages where she has sex with the criminals or the Aborigines?
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I've been reading the Diane Fallon series by Beverly Connor. It's semi-fluffy crime solving. Similar to the Patricia Cornwell Scarpetta books, before she started writing all of her characters like *kitten*.
  • mlh6468
    mlh6468 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm reading 'Hillbilly Elegy' by JD Vance, it is a good read. Also looking forward to the third book in the 'Pillars of the Earth' series by Follett.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm halfway into Gather the Daughters by Jennie Melamed and it's darkly fascinating but so visceral. Dystopian books aren't really my thing normally... Anyone read it?
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    I'm halfway into Gather the Daughters by Jennie Melamed and it's darkly fascinating but so visceral. Dystopian books aren't really my thing normally... Anyone read it?

Dystopian?

try:

Earth Abides - George Stewart

Alas Babylon - Pat Frank

Nexus - Ramez Naam

One Second After - William Forstchen

The Road - Cormac

Flashback - Dan Simmons

anything by William Gibson
  • lyssamichelle
    Options
    I got to about book 10 with the Sookie Stackhouse books but then it just got WAY too goofy for me - much like the show. I had to stop at season 4.

A YA series that I liked was The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong. I read that one a long time ago and loved it. There were two more I think, that came after it.

At the moment I'm reading the Phryne Fisher books. They're crime novels set in the 20s - she's a female detective in Australia. They're very easy reads and I'm breezing right through them.

I loved trueblood. I watched it faithfully lol. Never finished the final season though. I just love vampires and fairies... and weres lol.

Oh I read those! It was back when they were released. I loved them. She did a spin off series too I loved. The Gathering I think..

Like Veronica Mars grown up?
  • lyssamichelle
    Options
    I just happened to read a pretty good YA book a few weeks ago, Ramona Blue by Julie Murphy.

The author is getting a bit of flak about her portrayal of the main character's sexuality, but I loved the book and thought it was a fantastic and current voice for non-rural Southern poverty. Very good!

I've never even heard of her. Why is she getting flak? I'll need to look it up lol
  • boredloser
    boredloser Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've gathered up a bunch of Stephen King books to read. I've been on/off reading 'Salems Lot the past few weeks. Once I finish this I'll be onto The Stand.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

Dystopian?

try:

Earth Abides - George Stewart

Alas Babylon - Pat Frank

Nexus - Ramez Naam

One Second After - William Forstchen

The Road - Cormac

Flashback - Dan Simmons

anything by William Gibson

Solid list! I'm at 50%, so I'll have to check out the others.
  • lyssamichelle
    Options

I wouldn't say it's like Veronica Mars. She's a detective but her attitude is fairly different. She's a modern thinking woman in the 20s so she's considered risque for the time. She's also about ten years older than Veronica.

I did say like a grown up Veronica Mars lol. I love detective stories lol.

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    The Scavenger's Daughters is a great series about abandoned baby girls in China.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I love talking about books. I have a book blog and everything lol. It hardly gets used though. I tend to stick with YA books. It's not all I read, I love the Sookie Stackhouse books. I haven't had time to read in a while.
    There we go, that's me summed up!
  • stvmrtn
    stvmrtn Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just finished The Panther by Nelson DeMille. About halfway through the last book in his series and then I will be in dire nerd to recommendations!!! So, you know the drill! Message me some good series to read!!